FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question for the experts  (Read 1727 times)

River_Hermit

Question for the experts
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:22 AM »
I want to cross lake trout off my list this year. Never caught one. I've done my research on the lakes that have them. I'll probably give Flying Pond and Echo Lake a shot as they are easy access for me. Obviously Sebago and Lake Auburn but I'll be fishing from a canoe so it would have to be perfect conditions to get on that big water. I know they like it deep and cold, what's a proven method you guys use? Slow trolling deep spoons? I've heard jigging plastics deep can also be effective? Thanks in advance.

Steve H.

Re: Question for the experts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Catching a lake trout from a canoe certainly sounds like a challenge.  If it was me, I'd pick my day (early morning) very carefully and live-line a smelt or shiner down about 40-60' being carried by a light breeze.  If you go on the right day and there was not a lot of boat traffic, the dropoff at Songo Bar on Sebago would be a decent spot to get it done.  Don't know much about the other ponds you mention other than the bass fishing there.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Echo is slow but there are some nice togue in there. No togue in flying.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:11 PM »
If it allows live bait, put one ahead of a sinker with the line through an o ring attached to the sinker so it gets to the bottom but then can swim around away from the sinker and do it’s thing.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 12:15 PM »
This time of year, they can be caught in the shallows. Caught one casting in about 15 FOW
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Slammin_Brookies!!

• "Speed and Accuracy" Airborne All The Way 82nd
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 09:00 PM »
If it allows live bait, put one ahead of a sinker with the line through an o ring attached to the sinker so it gets to the bottom but then can swim around away from the sinker and do it’s thing.

X2. Specially if ur in a canoe plug fishing.
If you're too busy to fish...........You're too Fa..king busy!

CF

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 08:52 AM »
I’m not a togue guy, really, but I know guys do well vertical jigging in open water. Heavier spoons, tube jigs  and such like swedish pimples and bucktail jigs work. I’d recommend putting  cut bait or whole small smelt or minnow on the lure. Just drift over good looking bottom jigging. There are some good youtube vids on this.

Here’s just one.... Couldn’t find a Maine one.....

Formerly CLAMFARMER

Ryan51993

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 10:11 AM »
This time of year I can pick up a few with shiners or mepps spinners in shallow water (10-20 feet) and I really don't know a d**n thing about laker fishing.

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 10:51 AM »
This time of year I can pick up a few with shiners or mepps spinners in shallow water (10-20 feet) and I really don't know a d**n thing about laker fishing.
Yea seriously, right now just fish like your going for bass. Troll or cast near structures, rocks, points, weedline, etc. mouths of bays and tributaries work well too for trolling or just live lining a large shiner or smelt. 
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

woodchip1

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Id just catch a sucker ,They are just starting to spawn , keep him fresh and get out near the togue area on bottom and a fresh bloody piece of 1/2 x1 1/2  you will not have any trouble hooking on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.