FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pickled Smelt in Bourbon Sauce  (Read 1855 times)

CF

Pickled Smelt in Bourbon Sauce
« on: May 23, 2020, 04:15 AM »
Caught my last batch of smelt about a week ago. These were all ready to go yesterday!

Didn’t have any wine but had some good bourbon I bought long ago and don’t drink.... Scotch is another story! hehe
Tried a different recipe along with the bourbon. Called for quite a bit more sugar. Came out really good!
I’ve had these a few times too! Also sautéed up a couple meals of the larger ones, with just s & p with a little chopped garlic and lemon. No pics of those. Sorry!
Some in the freezer for a few feeds this summer!
Formerly CLAMFARMER

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Pickled Smelt in Bourbon Sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 07:23 AM »
I believe there isn't anything you won't eat!  The crappie are on fire.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

woodchip1

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Water temp  51 deg. Crappies bunch up for spawning

CF

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:16 AM »
I believe there isn't anything you won't eat!  The crappie are on fire.
Probably headed to a crappie pond this afternoon! 6 miles down the road! I heard it was good there this winter.

Not big on okra. Kinda wanna try rattlesnake. Cattail tubers are yummy! Keep wanting to try the cattails before they turn brown. they are supposed to be good as well. Heard spring woodchuck is excellent, before they gt much fat on em. That’s what my dad always said.  I think I’m due for a batch of pigs feet!

You would like this smelt recipe!

I salted a bunch of little smelt I’m gonna try trolling with at some point. I mostly did them for cut bait ~ trying open water whitefish next week. I’m thinking their tightened up enough for that - cut into thin strips -  and winter jigging bits. They are just about  like leather now!!! Have to use NON-IODIZED SALT OR THEY TURN TO MUSH.

Maybe SMELT JERKY IS NEXT!!!! Don’t even need to clean em! Just a couple bites and toss the head - or just crunch it! Good source of calcium for olde bones.  ;)  hehe 8) :w00t: :thumbup_smilie:
Formerly CLAMFARMER

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:18 AM »
I have an OUTSTANDING brine recipe, unbelievable! I wished I had it many, many years ago. lol
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

woodchip1

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2020, 05:48 AM »
Maybe SMELT JERKY IS NEXT!!!!

woodchip1

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2020, 05:49 AM »
I have an OUTSTANDING jerky recipe,

CF

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2020, 07:55 AM »
I have an OUTSTANDING jerky recipe,
May I have it?  My brother used to make it. Was very good.
Formerly CLAMFARMER

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2020, 08:08 AM »
Probably headed to a crappie pond this afternoon! 6 miles down the road! I heard it was good there this winter.

Not big on okra. Kinda wanna try rattlesnake. Cattail tubers are yummy! Keep wanting to try the cattails before they turn brown. they are supposed to be good as well. Heard spring woodchuck is excellent, before they gt much fat on em. That’s what my dad always said.  I think I’m due for a batch of pigs feet!

You would like this smelt recipe!

I salted a bunch of little smelt I’m gonna try trolling with at some point. I mostly did them for cut bait ~ trying open water whitefish next week. I’m thinking their tightened up enough for that - cut into thin strips -  and winter jigging bits. They are just about  like leather now!!! Have to use NON-IODIZED SALT OR THEY TURN TO MUSH.

Maybe SMELT JERKY IS NEXT!!!! Don’t even need to clean em! Just a couple bites and toss the head - or just crunch it! Good source of calcium for olde bones.  ;)  hehe 8) :w00t: :thumbup_smilie:

rattlesnake is good, you want the first section behind the head as its easier to spit the bones out

woodchip1

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Wonder if that's as good as Possum, or Coon  JERKY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.