FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Playing in the Salt  (Read 1901 times)

caught_the_fever

Playing in the Salt
« on: May 27, 2020, 07:30 AM »
Earlier this month I had a great time playing with stocked brookies on a dry fly - some really fun evenings.  However, I really look forward to this time of year as the striper migration takes hold.  Where I typically fish, the action is not as fast and furious as other areas this early into the run but the fish I tend to land are quality.  Though my son has been present when I've landed stripers, he's been napping.  I took a trip one morning to allow him to pet his first striper.  (re: his helmet, we brought his bike to keep him entertained in the event it took a while - I landed this fish within 10 casts.)

Last night I had the pleasure of both worlds.  When this fish struck, I noticed the tug did not have the same ferocity with which the other stripers I've landed have provided.  I soon found out why - for reference, my boot is approximately 5" wide.

After landing this, I combed the beach for a while then was about to head home to put my son to bed.  However, when realizing how much the wind and ocean's surface had calmed I couldn't resist just a few more casts.  Unfortunately I was lazy as I did not properly reset the drag on my fly reel after pulling out casting line and found a taker:  one which provided that tug I previously referenced, and then some.  After 3 decent runs palming my reel, I thought I had sufficiently tired the fish and could land him by staying on the reel without give.  My error as he tore through my 15lb fluorocarbon leader immediately where it made contact with the fly - I retrieved my line, my knot intact, with a split in the line across from it ripped in half.  Lesson learned for my next trip.

Darby

Re: Playing in the Salt
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Congratulations, and great job getting the little one to enjoy the outdoors.  Always important to bring some sort of distraction if the fishing/hunting is slow.  DVD player extended many bird hunting trips in the Allagash with my daughter.  She turns 15 in a month, so driving the truck on the secondary roads has proved quite entertaining :laugh:

fish wayniac

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Darby, Great start at the Salt! That is a nice sea run Brown . Looks to be at least 28” .

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:48 AM »
Great report, and really cool trout! Are you also insinuating the last fish you lost also fought like an even bigger brown then that one? Either way keep at it, and I bet your kid will be tagging along with a rod soon enough!

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 10:45 AM »
GREAT post, Mike!   I'm sure Caden is well on his way to being a full-time angling partner.

That brown is truly a SPECIAL fish.  Not a lot  of people get a salmonid out of the salty surf.  Nowhere near 10% I'm guessing.  I know there's a guy in my mirror who never has ;)  A hearty congrats to you.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 11:17 AM »
that sea run brown trout looks HUGE! any measurement? did you get that on the fly rod? I hope you realize how special/rare of a catch that is! Id be freaking out! lol.  Way to go! thanks for sharing. 

Are you also insinuating the last fish you lost also fought like an even bigger brown then that one?

I was wondering this as well.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:24 PM »
thanks for the nice comments everyone.  I am very much looking forward to the day when our son and we can fish together as a family.  He does handle being in a kayak with either of us pretty well for a period of time but at 2.5 years old he's obviously not very independent in his fishing!  We had been providing him with a Dock demon and a small Mepps, single hook with the barb removed however since he seems to prefer to whip the water that presented more risk than we'd prefer as we're trying to keep it positive.

The second fish I caught last night, though I never saw it, was undoubtedly a striper.  It put up for too great of a fight against my 9 weight for it to be another trout.   

No measurements and yes, caught on the fly rod.  This is the first sea run brown I've landed.  I was fully expecting to pull a small schoolie out of the water based upon the fight.  I was backing up onto the beach and when I saw this come out, I rushed to it knowing it wasn't a striper.  It had all the characteristics of what I'd expect of a trout but the coloration and markings threw me - I didn't want to take any further risk that it was somehow a hybrid salmon and released it ASAP after snapping this picture for assistance in proper identification (thanks Jim C!) so I would know the next time I landed one.  I'd estimate a good 23-24" in length and with impressive girth - it had been eating well before we crossed paths. 

I've since come to hear from several people that a fish like this is a rarity - I know I was not expecting to land a trout where I had been fishing.  Seems my first may be my best, and perhaps, last.   The 'ol sun shining on a dog proverb comes to mind!

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Nice brown lol! By buddy caught one a week or so ago, maybe they’re getting to become a fish able population soon.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:42 PM »
GREAT post, Mike!   I'm sure Caden is well on his way to being a full-time angling partner.

That brown is truly a SPECIAL fish.  Not a lot  of people get a salmonid out of the salty surf.  Nowhere near 10% I'm guessing.  I know there's a guy in my mirror who never has ;)  A hearty congrats to you.

X2 that brown is a special beast, truly a memorable catch and well deserved by any parent that takes their children fishing.  I wish you many more and a giant striper.

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 01:43 PM »
Nice brown lol! By buddy caught one a week or so ago, maybe they’re getting to become a fish able population soon.

They should be?  Mass and CT both have reliable sea run fisheries albeit rather limited as far as viable locations go, we see sea run browns in CT every February.

franklin fisher

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2020, 04:43 PM »
Cool post.

Stickbait

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Great experience!! Thx for sharing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.