FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gulf of Maine cooling down !!  (Read 11844 times)

CLAMFARMER

Re: Gulf of Maine cooling down !!
« Reply #45 on: Sep 14, 2019, 06:06 AM »
I think the earth will survive. The question is will we? 99 percent of the species that have walked this earth have gone extinct. Think about that. And the dinosaurs were here a lot longer than we have, but when their time came they disappeared rapidly.  180 million years vs. 200,000 years.
The issue at hand is not millions or hundreds of thousands of years but the changes that are happening now and over the past 140 years since homo sapiens discovered internal combustion and some became more equal than others.. A SUDDEN millisecond in Geologic time!!! Things will get back to good once the humans are gone! :o At least most of us.... A few will make it after war, disease genetic cleansing and starvation, kind like Mad Max. The rich and military will come out of their bunkers when the time comes..... OH yeah! don’t forget AI and cyborgs. A physicist friend, now passed,  of mine once said, “We can’t find the missing link to humans because we are the missing link.”  :thumbup_smilie: :flag:
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

PK186

« Reply #46 on: Sep 14, 2019, 08:38 AM »
The issue at hand is not millions or hundreds of thousands of years but the changes that are happening now and over the past 140 years since homo sapiens discovered internal combustion and some became more equal than others.. A SUDDEN millisecond in Geologic time!!! Things will get back to good once the humans are gone! :o At least most of us.... A few will make it after war, disease genetic cleansing and starvation, kind like Mad Max. The rich and military will come out of their bunkers when the time comes..... OH yeah! don’t forget AI and cyborgs. A physicist friend, now passed,  of mine once said, “We can’t find the missing link to humans because we are the missing link.”  :thumbup_smilie: :flag:
        0.7 MB    JKXshq2[1].gif                  Check                                            Error                                                 

taxid

« Reply #47 on: Sep 14, 2019, 09:11 AM »

Yes in many ways we are the worst thing that ever happened to this planet. We are like a virus that makes it's host sick and even kills it. Most organisms on the planet live in an equilibrium with the rest of the organisms. We do not.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Sampson

« Reply #48 on: Sep 14, 2019, 05:10 PM »
There is no spoon neo

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #49 on: Sep 15, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Back to the Topic as Presented! Come on GasBlaster, get real! Get Maine! :)

This piece is from 2018

"The Gulf of Maine recorded its second-warmest day on record on Aug. 8.
The average sea-surface temperature that day was only 0.05 degrees Fahrenheit below the all-time record high.
The gulf is warming faster than 99 percent of the global ocean, scientists said.
The warming waters are disrupting the marine ecosystem in that region, which includes lobsters and whales.
As if this summer's heat on land isn't enough, sea-surface temperatures in the Gulf of Maine soared to near-record highs in August in what scientists referred to as a month-long "marine heat wave" in the typically colder waters off the New England coast.

Scientists at the Gulf of Maine Research Institute (GMRI) in Portland, Maine, released an analysis on Aug. 30, determining that the Gulf of Maine officially experienced its second-warmest day on Aug. 8 in satellite-data records dating back to 1981.

NOAA and NASA satellites measured an average sea-surface temperature of 68.93 degrees Fahrenheit in the Gulf of Maine on Aug. 8, only 0.05 degrees below the all-time record high of 68.98 set in 2012.

The Gulf of Maine waters are warming faster than most of the Earth's oceans, according to the GMRI analysis.

During one 10-day period in August, the average sea-surface temperature in the Gulf of Maine was nearly 5 degrees above the average from 1982 to 2011, said GMRI Chief Scientist Dr. Andrew Pershing. There were other prolonged stretches this summer that were also a few degrees higher than the long-term average, he added......”

“......The warming of the gulf is happening at a time when the center of the U.S. lobster population appears to be tracking northward. The country's lobster catch is still high, but rising temperatures threaten to "continue to disrupt the marine ecosystem in this region," John Bruno, a marine ecologist with the University of North Carolina who was not involved in Pershing's work, told the Associated Press.

"Warming in the Gulf of Maine has been pushing out native species like cod, kelp and lobster and fostering populations of species typically found in the Carolinas," Bruno told the AP. "Although it's an extreme example, it mirrors what we're seeing across most of the world."

The Gulf of Maine has seen temperatures above the 90th percentile for more than five consecutive days this year, which constitutes a "marine heat wave," Pershing said in the press release. The gulf set 10 daily temperature records this summer after setting 18 over the winter, he added.

The warming waters are bad news for the rare right whales because it impacts the availability of tiny organisms they eat, Jeffrey Runge, a research scientist with GMRI and the University of Maine, told the AP. It's symptomatic of warming oceans all over the world, he added.

"There are very large, not regional, drivers for this change," Runge told the AP. "Until we work on the global drivers of warming, I don't see any way to stop this.”

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-09-05-gulf-of-maine-near-record-highs-ocean-heat-wave
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

taxid

« Reply #50 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:39 AM »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #51 on: Sep 16, 2019, 09:40 AM »
Will be close to 90 F. here in Indiana in a couple of days. And that will move east.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #52 on: Sep 19, 2019, 05:22 AM »
HEY GASBLASTER!!!! Here’s another clue for ya!

"What rising temperatures in the Gulf of Maine mean for the state’s lobster industry”
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-rising-water-temperatures-could-end-maines-lobster-boom

"The Gulf of Maine is known for lobsters, which form the foundation of an industry critical to the state's economy. Due to climate change, the waters off southern New England have become too warm for the temperature-sensitive crustaceans, leaving Maine as the "sweet spot" for fishing them. But the Gulf's own rising temperatures mean the lobster boom may not last forever. Miles O'Brien reports.”

https://player.fm/series/pbs-newshour-35773/how-rising-water-temperatures-could-end-maines-lobster-boom

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #53 on: Sep 19, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Will be close to 90 F. here in Indiana in a couple of days. And that will move east.

Yeah, I know. I've got my final big trolling trip scheduled for this weekend in Northern Maine and we gotta get a stupid heat wave. And bluebird skies. I like my fall fishing trip to have frost on the seats in the morning but it's a low of 54 and a high of 72 where I am going.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #54 on: Sep 19, 2019, 03:58 PM »
Yeah, I know. I've got my final big trolling trip scheduled for this weekend in Northern Maine and we gotta get a stupid heat wave. And bluebird skies. I like my fall fishing trip to have frost on the seats in the morning but it's a low of 54 and a high of 72 where I am going.

I have a bass tourney on Sunday, 85 degrees.
Wicked Wec

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #55 on: Sep 20, 2019, 06:44 AM »

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #56 on: Sep 21, 2019, 09:23 AM »

12 year old that's been fed BS her entire life .  👍👍

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #57 on: Sep 21, 2019, 05:21 PM »

She’s 16 and WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY smarter than you’ll ever be!!!!

Why are you so afraid to be a part of reality. I suppose is is scary, Yes.

Read the science oh happy eater of OF BS! It’s in the above articles. BUT, Like grub, you don’t care. So the BS is strong on you!  ;D :thumbup_smilie: :flag:

joefishmore

« Reply #58 on: Sep 21, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Gassblaster  is right, and there is thousand more along with their leftist teachers that are just like her.

CLAMFARMER

!Re: Gulf of Maine cooling down !
« Reply #59 on: Sep 21, 2019, 06:12 PM »
Your heading to this thread is " Gulf of Maine cooling down !!” Lets see your proof..... OR are you trying to feed US BS???? I guess, if you can’t come up with some real data and reporting from those that study it, SHUT UP AND FISH! YOU ain’t got it. son!

"The Gulf of Maine is known for lobsters, which form the foundation of an industry critical to the state’s economy. Due to climate change, the waters off southern New England have become too warm for the temperature-sensitive crustaceans, leaving Maine as the “sweet spot” for fishing them. .....”  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-rising-water-temperatures-could-end-maines-lobster-boom

AND!!!  Greta Thunberg has Wisdom, Guts and The Poise to stand before the world and our congress  and not blink or stutter. She outclasses Gasblister in every way!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.