FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Salmon Returned to The Penobscot! 1000+ and Counting !!!  (Read 3418 times)

CLAMFARMER

NICE!!!

"The migratory flow of Atlantic salmon returning to the Penobscot River has picked up a bit in recent weeks as the river water cools, and the total number of fish — an eight-year high — continues to creep upward.”

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/08/31/outdoors/for-the-first-time-in-8-years-1000-atlantic-salmon-have-returned-to-the-penobscot/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR12piLCzJV5CZBPEaX4Mhgun9A4CYbltDAuBQT1ocKTqLm8Iof_gJboHJo#Echobox=1567256084
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

seamonkey84

Re: Salmon Returned to The Penobscot! 1000+ and Counting !!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2019, 05:32 PM »
That’s some good news! But after they tagged the fish, why would they release them below dam to make them swim back up?!?
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2019, 05:50 PM »
That’s some good news! But after they tagged the fish, why would they release them below dam to make them swim back up?!?
Hunh! I’ll ask.
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Awesome news.  Although significantly smaller, the kennebec salmon runs are trending upward as well I believe.  About 50 were trapped this year at Lockwood.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2019, 07:27 PM »

Just a guess, but it sounds like they could've been purposely releasing them downstream (after radio tagging them) to see if they could still "find" or ascend the fish-lift in different water or flow conditions? Or maybe it's just protocol to release them down stream at a certain time of year or water temperature? Not sure but i'm curious as well.

stguy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2019, 04:54 AM »
Call and ask the biologist, I have found them more than willing to  answer questions.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2019, 06:26 AM »
Just a guess, but it sounds like they could've been purposely releasing them downstream (after radio tagging them) to see if they could still "find" or ascend the fish-lift in different water or flow conditions? Or maybe it's just protocol to release them down stream at a certain time of year or water temperature? Not sure but i'm curious as well.

Thats how I understood it.

CLAMFARMER

« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Call and ask the biologist, I have found them more than willing to  answer questions.

Yep! Always helpful and forthcoming. I’ll give ‘em a call Tuesday.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Wow that river gets up to 80 F. in the summer?  :sick: Must be a lot of dams? Even 70 now is a bit warm and stressful for salmon.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2019, 08:58 AM »
I’ve read 80 is the lethal limits for Atlantic salmon. There must be thermal refuge somewhere for them to hunker down in.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I’ve read 80 is the lethal limits for Atlantic salmon. There must be thermal refuge somewhere for them to hunker down in.

yeah that's about right.  The Penobscot probably has a lot of tributaries and I know atlantic salmon can tolerate (but not grow) in water up to 75*F-ish fairly well (just don't go catch & releasing landlocks at 75*F lol, they won't live).  DMR has strict protocols about handling salmon at certain temperatures.

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2019, 07:02 PM »
With these salmon farms... if they took even a portion of their resources from farming these fish, they could prob successfully introduce a breeding population for the wild salmons. Just keep a separate batch for conservation with wild genetics handed over from regional bios/hatcheries. Just another example of a species that is endangered in the wild, but mass produced in captivity for human uses. Even in the pet trade, Asian arowanas are considered threatened or endangered due to habitat loss. Yet there are selective breeding that mad made insane colorations or the pet trade, and these fish can go for thousands of dollars.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:57 PM »
With these salmon farms... if they took even a portion of their resources from farming these fish, they could prob successfully introduce a breeding population for the wild salmons. Just keep a separate batch for conservation with wild genetics handed over from regional bios/hatcheries. Just another example of a species that is endangered in the wild, but mass produced in captivity for human uses. Even in the pet trade, Asian arowanas are considered threatened or endangered due to habitat loss. Yet there are selective breeding that mad made insane colorations or the pet trade, and these fish can go for thousands of dollars.

I could be wrong but would guess the farm raised and pen raised salmon are sterile triploid females? If so they obviously wouldn't be much good for wild fish planting. And they are probably selectively bred for captive rearing which may not suit them for the wild. Additionally the males have a lower dress out weight and some of the males peak out at much smaller sizes. I think they are known as grilse? I think we in the Great lakes have a King Salmon counterpart know as jack salmon.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2019, 09:37 AM »
Grilse include both males & females, Grilse are just adult salmon (after the smolt stage) that are returning to freshwater after 1 winter at sea for the first time to spawn I believe, whereas multi sea winter salmon (MSW) are larger adults (over 24") that have spent multiple winters in the ocean and are possible repeat spawners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.