FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: August.....Couldn't Ask For Much Better  (Read 4577 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
August.....Couldn't Ask For Much Better
« on: Sep 02, 2019, 11:43 AM »
August weather ended up being pretty close to the long-term averages, but the fishing far exceeded the norm!  I spent time on the water either seeking new spots or fine-tuning my approach on flowing water I'd fished before.  A good gauge of how much action and scenery there was is how many pics I'd saved by month's end. Most months, it's around 25 pics, but August provided closer to 60.

During the first couple weeks, I had the pleasure of fishing a few brooks with "Caught The Fever" from this Forum.  This was small water fishing that was made even smaller by extremely low flows.  This was Mike's first time fishing this way.  He mastered the required stealth right out of the gate and came up with several natives in the very difficult conditions. ;D   What these fish lacked in size, they made up for in heart and color.

At other times during the month, there was enough rain to bump up flows at least briefly.  I took advantage of this to aim for a little "hat trickery".  Brookies were fairly easy to achieve, rainbows a close second, with browns being the unicorn of the three.  In the waters I fished, it is rarely possible to sit in one spot and score a hat trick.  I started most outings fishing the highest ground for natives.  All were bright, and some had a little brawn to go with it.

Those fish hanging out rock ledges took on lighter colors to match their background.

It paid big dividends to hike or climb in a bit from more heavily fished access points.  This spot didn't have a beaten path to it and gave up nearly a dozen fish.

After mornings playing with the brookies, I usually descended to seek rainbows and a rare brown or 2.  These wild rainbows are acrobats and far from shy about taking a surface fly.

If everything lined up right, I was treated to a brown to complete the high ground hat trick.  The browns rarely jumped, but used the current for some solid bull-dogging on the 3-weight.

At 14", this brown was clearly the master of his small pool 8)

While an EHC or Parachute Adams fished well alone, a small emerger as a trailer often enhanced my chances. 

On one memorable evening, I picked up a half dozen rainbows out of a single run on a Partridge and Orange trailer.  Dead drifting was the name of the game, with many of the takes being subtle and barely submerging the EHC "strike indicator".  The EHC just missed the tail of this 'bow when he grabbed the trailing emerger.

And later, I had a double header of 1 'bow on each fly.  It would have been a personal 1st to land both, but with all hell breaking loose, I was happy to keep my flies and land 1. ;D  More traditional hook-ups followed.

A recurring theme was long stretches of great looking water with slow action, with the occasional pay dirt pool.  It made foot power worthwhile.  After a half mile or more of stream walking with little to show for it except exercise, this run yielded 9 fish in short order.

By mid-month, the days had definitely shortened and cooled some.  The daily variation of water temps lessened and even on bright and warm days, the stream thermometer topped out in the mid-60s.  Fine for Foothills browns. 

For an outing or 2, I had to weed through non-salmonids, including dozens of sunnies which grabbed trout patterns.

But with signs of Fall advancing, the holdover browns soon dominated and took on fine, buttery colors.  It's always encouraging to find these fish that have a made it through a summer, or in some cases more.

I pray for those in Dorian's path, but even without him here (yet anyway) September appears to be off to a wet start.   Maybe they'll be some early lake run fish?

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: August.....Couldn't Ask For Much Better
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Great pics Jim. Glad to see you enjoying your retirement.

From the looks of those water levels, your fly collection should remain in tact.

That's not good for business.;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Thanks, Bob.

You're right. With most of the bottom exposed, it's easy to retrieve flies.  Water levels may be changing though.

Some of the flies from our friend have been very productive ;)

Great pics Jim. Glad to see you enjoying your retirement.

From the looks of those water levels, your fly collection should remain in tact.

That's not good for business.;D

seamonkey84

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2019, 01:16 PM »
Even with the lower water, the scenery makes it look like it would still be worth the trip. fish could just be considered the bonus. Wonderful recap and beautiful pics as always! 
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Great month for you, jealous of the rainbows!, mix of stocked and wild? & do you think any of those browns, particularly the 14" one, are a full one-year + holdover? stocked as a spring yearling in 2018? or a fall yearling in 2018? those 14"+ small stream browns used to be not so uncommon for me in years past but seem to be non-existent now in the small brooks I fish.  Water levels aren't just like they used to be in my neck of the woods.

deerhunter

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2019, 02:40 PM »
as usual jim , great pics and a nice batch of trout

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2019, 02:50 PM »
Jim, You had a great month. Beautiful scenery and hat trick of trout. Nice!

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

The roots of the fish caught in mountain waters are interesting! You ask good questions and the best I have is partial answers and best guesses.  As far as the rainbows go, while there are a  lot of wild fish, stocked ones could definitely be moving about in these waters even if no direct stocking occurs.  As to the browns, some of the waters receive no direct stocking at all and none of them receive anything but spring browns listed in the 7-8" range.  Some years these are stocked smaller than that it seems.  I find no record of bigger fall yearling fish going in.  That tells me that any brown over say 11" is probably a multi-year holdover.  I doubt that they could grow that fast in a single season.  Some may also be wild fish, which makes the age clock hard to set.

Great month for you, jealous of the rainbows!, mix of stocked and wild? & do you think any of those browns, particularly the 14" one, are a full one-year + holdover? stocked as a spring yearling in 2018? or a fall yearling in 2018? those 14"+ small stream browns used to be not so uncommon for me in years past but seem to be non-existent now in the small brooks I fish.  Water levels aren't just like they used to be in my neck of the woods.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Jim - even an average student can do well with the assistance of a great instructor!  Thank you once again for the experience, your time and insight.  Very kind of you.  I've long enjoyed taking the virtual trips of your monthly recaps; this trip was a great day which I'll remember for a long time. 

Beautiful looking rainbows!

Glad to see conditions present several more options for you through the month.  I don't want to jump the gun but these recent evenings have made me think fall's arrival has come sooner than the past 4-5 years.   

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2019, 07:51 PM »
Great post thanks for sharing.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Awesome!
Wicked Wec

franklin fisher

« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Great month again Jim.

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Thanks, Randall.

The roots of the fish caught in mountain waters are interesting! You ask good questions and the best I have is partial answers and best guesses.  As far as the rainbows go, while there are a  lot of wild fish, stocked ones could definitely be moving about in these waters even if no direct stocking occurs.  As to the browns, some of the waters receive no direct stocking at all and none of them receive anything but spring browns listed in the 7-8" range.  Some years these are stocked smaller than that it seems.  I find no record of bigger fall yearling fish going in.  That tells me that any brown over say 11" is probably a multi-year holdover.  I doubt that they could grow that fast in a single season.  Some may also be wild fish, which makes the age clock hard to set.

Re-reading this reminded me of a fisheries study that suggested with the right amount of flow a trout can grow 1-2" a month in some rivers vs. 1-2" a year in lower flows. 

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: Sep 04, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Re-reading this reminded me of a fisheries study that suggested with the right amount of flow a trout can grow 1-2" a month in some rivers vs. 1-2" a year in lower flows. 

Do you have a link to this study by any chance? I've always been under the impression that water temperatures (and food availability) dictate trout growth not water flows.  Hence why hatcheries can grow trout so fast as they can control those factors (temperature and feed) precisely i believe.  Of course the more flow = more oxygen which is a good thing for trout.

seamonkey84

« Reply #14 on: Sep 04, 2019, 04:28 PM »
More oxygen and more chance of food drifting by. Even very high flow, fish use rocks and structures and ride the currents/eddies and keep themselves in place, spending very little energy.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.