FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: sebago togue  (Read 8075 times)

fishlessman

Re: sebago togue
« Reply #30 on: Sep 16, 2019, 10:35 AM »
saturday we picked up 20 something, sunday i think it was 5.  the fillets on these fish were so thin and mushy im not sure they will survive the spawn or even spawn.  and no fight to them after the initial hit, was using 8 pound flouro and locking the drag down to haul them in quickly. that would normally be a break off.

stguy

« Reply #31 on: Sep 16, 2019, 11:31 AM »
saturday we picked up 20 something, sunday i think it was 5.  the fillets on these fish were so thin and mushy im not sure they will survive the spawn or even spawn.  and no fight to them after the initial hit, was using 8 pound flouro and locking the drag down to haul them in quickly. that would normally be a break off.

It's wierd, we get these on one side of Frye island

And these, just like you describe on the other

It's like 2 completely different lakes.

Although  this one did come from your side

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2019, 11:52 AM »
togue #3 is big!

stguy

« Reply #33 on: Sep 16, 2019, 12:00 PM »
togue #3 is big!

Yup!

It had rib bones from another fish in its stomach that were 4" long.

seamonkey84

« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Man I wish I have a boat big enough for Sebago.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2019, 02:11 PM »
Man I wish I have a boat big enough for Sebago.

i'll chip in  :laugh:

GasBlaster

• Welcomes green fish !!
« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2019, 05:41 AM »
Stguy I think we saw you out on the big bay side Sunday late morning .   Who ever it was that is a nice boat.  It was a little rough out there for us.  Saturday Was a no go

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #37 on: Sep 17, 2019, 08:07 AM »
I trolled around the shallow water on the west side of the lake, and no hits at all, but i was trolling hardware, might be time to switch back to the frozen smelts... or it could have been because the wife was with me.

fishlessman

« Reply #38 on: Sep 17, 2019, 09:26 AM »
that is a nice boat, was heading towards it mid to late sunday morning and by the time i passed the songo water was coming over the sides of my eastern. had to head back to the west bank

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: Sep 17, 2019, 10:28 AM »
i'll chip in  :laugh:

Ill hook you both up.  1989 alumacraft 19'6 has 1990 evinrude 140 looper that needs carbs cleaned.  30 gallon tank needs to be emptied and cleaned.  Has 55lb minnkota with ipilot.  9.8hp 4 stroke tohatsu kicker....cheap.  No leaks in the hull at all. 

stguy

« Reply #40 on: Sep 17, 2019, 10:41 AM »
I trolled around the shallow water on the west side of the lake, and no hits at all, but i was trolling hardware, might be time to switch back to the frozen smelts... or it could have been because the wife was with me.

A few tips....

Chances are pretty good you need to forget what you did the last time you were out, it changes day by day and hour by hour sometimes, there are very few places you can go and do the same thing over and over and those places are deep.

"Match the hatch" if you hear or see they are feeding on yellow perch, use something perchy.

Speed is the #1 variable, start slow end fast if you don't get any hits, drop the boat in neutral and let them sink for a few second and kick it back in gear, keeping the boat at 1.8 or 3.1 or whatever that "magic speed"is, is the same as watching fishing shows on the internet.

If that doesn't work try a different lure and start over, don't run the same lure on all your lines unless you find one they really like.

Start out in deep water and head for shallow water, set all your lines at different depths, you may find them at 30' in 200' of water, you may find them on the bottom  in 20', when you get into the shallow water don't be afraid to break out a spinning rod and cast something different, casting Rapalas has worked well.

If you can adjust the gain on your sonar, turn it down so not everything looks like a fish, then when you do see one, go after it and don't waste time looking for fish on the fish finder, find them with your rod and reel.

seamonkey84

« Reply #41 on: Sep 17, 2019, 12:22 PM »
Ill hook you both up.  1989 alumacraft 19'6 has 1990 evinrude 140 looper that needs carbs cleaned.  30 gallon tank needs to be emptied and cleaned.  Has 55lb minnkota with ipilot.  9.8hp 4 stroke tohatsu kicker....cheap.  No leaks in the hull at all.
Besides the funding issue, I’d have no place to store it  :P living in the city and a full driveway/parking area sucks. As it is, my 8’ mini bass boat lays on it side against the house when I’m not using it.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishlessman

« Reply #42 on: Sep 17, 2019, 12:23 PM »
overdressed bulkie deerhair streamers with big eyes were working for us this past weekend, thinking that they looked perchy.  everything jigging off the jig boxes, jigging planer, jigging down rigger, and a shasta sling blade. the sling blade off the copper line was the ticket with the downriggers coming in last.  silver copper backed mooselooks did better saturday than the flies on sunday. first time with a sling blade, you can change speeds dramatically with it.  says you can vertical jig with it as well, soon to be tested

stguy

« Reply #43 on: Sep 17, 2019, 01:05 PM »
overdressed bulkie deerhair streamers with big eyes were working for us this past weekend, thinking that they looked perchy.  everything jigging off the jig boxes, jigging planer, jigging down rigger, and a shasta sling blade. the sling blade off the copper line was the ticket with the downriggers coming in last.  silver copper backed mooselooks did better saturday than the flies on sunday. first time with a sling blade, you can change speeds dramatically with it.  says you can vertical jig with it as well, soon to be tested

Lead lines have out fished the riggers 10:1 this year,  especially when you take them out of the rod holders and start yankin on them.

I set up a rig with copper this year but haven't got it figured out yet.

Guessing those mooselooks you used were the little 1/16 oz.? Those have been spectacular on my boat the last couple weeks.

fishlessman

« Reply #44 on: Sep 17, 2019, 01:34 PM »
i upsized to juniors this week, midgets most of august. running 100 feet with the copper in the early morning and up to 200 by 9 am or so in the 2 to 2.5 mph speed. set the drag lighter than the lead til you get hooked up, long leaders that can absorb the initial strike. the copper gets curly with some use for the first 20 feet, it works better then, i assume its dancing the flies and lures when it gets some curl. i put the sling blade on a short leader and had the back line snap a few times on the strike, need to get some flouro in a heavier size, i dont normally fish flouro higher than 8 pounds

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.