FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just an FYI  (Read 1526 times)

JDK

Just an FYI
« on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:18 AM »
From our regional biologist.

My son and I caught about a dozen off his inlaw's dock last Thursday evening.  Not at all the first invasive I would have expected.

New Fish Species Confirmed in Fish River Chain of Lakes

Fisheries biologists from the Ashland Regional Headquarters recently confirmed the presence of a new, invasive fish species at Cross Lake in Cross Lake Township, Aroostook County.  White perch (Morone americana) were collected by Fish and Wildlife biologists using a boat electrofisher on June 19 at Cross Lake.  This sampling followed a reported catch by an angler in September 2017 and another on June 9th, 2019.  At the time of capture, the fish were actively spawning and were in or near flowing water, a common spawning habitat used by the species in Maine.  Eight fish were caught ranging 3.7 – 9.7 inches in length.  Based on the size distribution, the fish have likely spawned at least once in Cross Lake.

Later sampling in early July also confirmed the species is in Long Lake, located upstream of Cross Lake in the Chain.  Like the situation at Cross Lake, angler reports were received of catches in 2018; in one of those cases IF&W biologists received the fish and confirmed the species. 
White perch are not actually a true perch but are a member of the family of temperate bass species, closely related to striped bass (Morone saxitilis).  Historically, they were a coastal species inhabiting lakes and ponds closely connected to the Atlantic Ocean.  Their range has been expanded considerably and within Maine were, up until now, limited to southern and central areas. 

White perch are a spiny-finned fish with large scales.  The fish is silvery white on the sides and belly with dark gray-green on the back.  Size is commonly 6 – 12 inches.  They feed on a wide variety of food items including insects, small crustaceans, and small fish.  Larger, older fish feed mainly on fish including smelt. 

Invasive fish can have significant negative impacts on native fish populations and established fisheries.  What their exact impact will be in the Fish River Chain is unknown, however, biologists are concerned about native brook trout and smelt which are a forage fish for salmon, lake trout and brook trout.  Across the historic range of brook trout, the Fish River Chain has one of the last intact populations inhabiting large lakes and interconnecting rivers.  The Chain has long been a destination of anglers seeking brook trout, salmon and lake trout.

# SAND

zwiggles

Re: Just an FYI
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2019, 10:30 AM »
That’s a shame. They hammer the smelt on our big lake in NH. Hopefully they compete more with the YP than the cold water fish you have up there.

gamefisher

« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2019, 11:03 AM »
Problems by the bucketful would be my guess Jay, this sucks for the FRC. :'(

teampar

• "It is what it is"
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2019, 04:06 PM »
That really sucks  :-\

jacksmelt

« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I've sent several pics  to f. frost of some we caught when we brought a friends daughter fishing for junk fish off the dock at cross lake launch. out of the 3 times we went. we caught 11 between  3 and 12in.  guy that has a camp next door said his family started to catch them last year. likely someone had some in their minnows they brought up for bait and dumped them. sucks but better than musky or bass showing up. like our fish up here needed more competition! maybe they will eat the yellows. ;)
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

gamefisher

« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2019, 06:49 PM »
. likely someone had some in their minnows they brought up for bait and dumped them. sucks but better than musky or bass showing up.

Biologically speaking, you might be surprised Steve.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Catch the ones you can and keep em. Might not wipe them out but its a start. They do eat well.
Wicked Wec

woodchip1

« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Catch them and fillet them .They make good Chowder and fish cakes  My winter jigging project, (fresh water Haddock)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.