FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyrod recommendations - 4 weight  (Read 3198 times)

caught_the_fever

Flyrod recommendations - 4 weight
« on: Sep 24, 2019, 12:49 PM »
I posted this on another board - apologies for the duplication to any who have previously read it there, just trying to expand potential feedback.

I snapped my 6' 10" 4 weight LL Bean Pocket Water rod this past weekend.  My stomach turned because it was a gift for my 40th but also I really liked the soft feel/slow-medium action of the rod.  I'm not the best caster but could softly drop a dry with it, even at a decent distance. 

Bean's has discontinued that rod, though I was informed that the Double L with which they've replaced it is the same exact construction.  I didn't pull the trigger because 1) it's 50% more expensive than what they gave me for my Pocket Water and 2) while they may work with me should I experience another legit breakage the official warranty is 1 year. 

Anyone have any recommendations for a similar rod that's reasonably priced (sub $400 and would prefer to keep it around $200 if possible)?

Thanks
Mike

TightLinesMaine

Re: Flyrod recommendations - 4 weight
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2019, 01:03 PM »
Just the rod right? what reel do you plan on using with it

looks like L.L. Bean has a Streamlight Ultra 7'6" 4 piece 4 wt., $149.00 (whole outfit w/ reel is like $219 i think), I bet you would like the extra 8" of reach unless you plan on fishing very small brooks with it, then I wouldn't get a rod that long.  Also the reel on the Streamlight Ultra is a large arbor, not sure how a Pocket Water reel-which is definitely not a large arbor-would work in it's place? idk

I own a 5 and 6 wt both 9' Streamlight Ultras (and a 5'9" 3 wt.) and I've had good luck with them, no breaks, no issues.  Not a fast action rod but other than that I like them.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Sorry to hear about the rod, Mike. It was the one you caught the natives on when we fished :P

My son picked up the 4-wt outfit from Bean that Randall describes.  Nice rig.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Thanks gentlemen!   Tightlines - I have a streamlight in the 6 weight.  Was a great initial rod though I tend to pick up my double l when I go 6 weight now.  Guess best way to know whether it would have the same feel as my pocket is try to test cast one in that weight.  I hear you regarding length - I’ve generally fished still water and I could see that benefit.  Though as Jim mentioned, I did dabble with the small water. 

Jim - spot on!  Though it hadn’t  seen much use some great memories on that rod, including our trip - first natives I’ve ever caught. 

caught_the_fever

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2019, 09:23 PM »
Just the rod right? what reel do you plan on using with it

looks like L.L. Bean has a Streamlight Ultra 7'6" 4 piece 4 wt., $149.00 (whole outfit w/ reel is like $219 i think), I bet you would like the extra 8" of reach unless you plan on fishing very small brooks with it, then I wouldn't get a rod that long.  Also the reel on the Streamlight Ultra is a large arbor, not sure how a Pocket Water reel-which is definitely not a large arbor-would work in it's place? idk

I own a 5 and 6 wt both 9' Streamlight Ultras (and a 5'9" 3 wt.) and I've had good luck with them, no breaks, no issues.  Not a fast action rod but other than that I like them.

Also, excellent point regarding reel.  I still have the pocket water reel that I was hoping to use with whatever rod I purchase.  I don’t have a ton of experience mixing gear -
Would issues might you anticipate?  Primarily reel seat fit or are you thinking performance. 

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Also, excellent point regarding reel.  I still have the pocket water reel that I was hoping to use with whatever rod I purchase.  I don’t have a ton of experience mixing gear -
Would issues might you anticipate? Primarily reel seat fit or are you thinking performance.

I'm not sure but I think the reel seat fit would be fine since they are both Beans' reels (I would call Beans and ask if you're interested), it would be more of a "balance" issue I think.  I could be wrong though, it may not make any difference.  I just know the pocket water reel is a "standard arbor" reel (30% lighter than large arbor reels) and the streamlight reel is a "large arbor" reel.  Not an expert on this by any means as I haven't had to mix a reel and rod setup yet (I've just purchased outfits).

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/72813?page=pocket-water-fly-reel
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/119933?page=streamlight-ultra-ii-large-arbor-fly-reel

edit: your question may be better answered by the guys on the other forum, good luck though with your purchase.  definitely something to be aware of though when making a rod purchase if you're planning on using that pocket water reel with it.

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2019, 08:02 AM »
ive owned alot of rods over the years, personally i would upgrade the bean rod with a st croix if keeping it in the 200 dollar range and get a 9 foot faster action for dry flies. the 9 footer is more practical if you ever want to add a float tube for the ponds. i dont find the extra length a problem with smaller waters

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2019, 08:09 AM »
quite a few of the brooks I fish a 9' rod would NOT be fun lol.  I used to do a LOT of small stream fishing and I would personally never fish a rod over 6'6" on my local small brooks.

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2019, 08:18 AM »
quite a few of the brooks I fish a 9' rod would NOT be fun lol.  I used to do a LOT of small stream fishing and I would personally never fish a rod over 6'6" on my local small brooks.

always comes down to personal preference with fly rods, i fish brooks doen to 3 feet wide at times and like to stand further away from the brook

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2019, 08:39 AM »
always comes down to personal preference with fly rods

oh definitely, I just know I would be roll casting my rod tip into tree limbs/branches like crazy if I tried using a 9' rod on a few of the brooks I fish.  I already do it with my 5'9"... I would be cussing left and right with a 9 footer... lol

also, bushwhacking with a 9' rod in some of the terrain i fish would be miserable as well.

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2019, 10:07 AM »
oh definitely, I just know I would be roll casting my rod tip into tree limbs/branches like crazy if I tried using a 9' rod on a few of the brooks I fish.  I already do it with my 5'9"... I would be cussing left and right with a 9 footer... lol

also, bushwhacking with a 9' rod in some of the terrain i fish would be miserable as well.

a 4 pc 9 footer breaks down to a 4.5 footer when needed 8)

caught_the_fever

« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2019, 12:55 PM »
some excellent points guys.   I initially requested the 6' 10", which I believe was the longer of the two offerings at the time, to give a little extra leverage if I wanted to try it on a pond and happened up a bass.  I was trying to keep it a bit smaller for the "pocket water" situations, should I pursue them and did appreciate it on my trip.  Since went out on a similar body that reinforced not having the 9', at least for me, as I have work to do with my tight quarters casting. 

Thanks for mentioning the balance issue, could see a potential issue there.  I've always purchased the outfit, not strayed from Bean's products except for upgrading my saltwater reel to Sage, so it's been a non-factor.  But an important one to consider if considering other manufacturers.   Is a large arbor common among 4 weights?  I see the benefit to a heavier rod, particularly when you need to go to reel.   

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2019, 02:46 PM »
have only had to reel once with a small rod, was way into the backing with a 33 inch brood atlantic. that was on my bamboo 3 wt 6 foot 3 inch midge rod and fortunately i had a multiplier reel on it.  for the most part you just store line on a 4 wt reel but i do see alot of large arbor reels out there for 4 wt

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2019, 05:35 PM »
a 4 pc 9 footer breaks down to a 4.5 footer when needed 8)

Heh

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2019, 05:38 PM »
have only had to reel once with a small rod, was way into the backing with a 33 inch brood atlantic. that was on my bamboo 3 wt 6 foot 3 inch midge rod and fortunately i had a multiplier reel on it.  for the most part you just store line on a 4 wt reel but i do see alot of large arbor reels out there for 4 wt

Brood atlantic? Was this in maine? NH? (They used to have a broodstock salmon program).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.