FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Flyrod recommendations - 4 weight  (Read 3197 times)

TightLinesMaine

Re: Flyrod recommendations - 4 weight
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Is a large arbor common among 4 weights?  I see the benefit to a heavier rod, particularly when you need to go to reel.   

Good question, i would say yes, I think most 4 wt. rods would have either a large arbor or mid arbor, not a standard arbor.  The Pocket Water reel is a standard arbor reel.  The only big advantage of a standard arbor reel is less weight/size (lighter than mid arbor & much lighter than large arbor).  Large arbor reels are best for fighting big fish as they can "pick up" fly line much faster on the reel compared to a standard arbor reel, particularly helpful when a large fish is running directly at you.  However, the weight difference were talking about is ounces, not lbs. obviously,  So yeah...

JDK

« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2019, 07:19 PM »
I’ve a large arbor reel on my 4 weight and doubt I’d change. However I fish larger rivers and my rod is a 9 footer. It picks up line quickly and balances well on that rod

On a shorter rod and small waters I don’t think it matters. Balance would be more important.
# SAND

fishlessman

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Brood atlantic? Was this in maine? NH? (They used to have a broodstock salmon program).

was in mass,  they used to put the broods in small lakes. it was one of the searuns caught at the lawrence dam in mass stripped of eggs for nh

lowaccord66

« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I’ve a large arbor reel on my 4 weight and doubt I’d change. However I fish larger rivers and my rod is a 9 footer. It picks up line quickly and balances well on that rod

On a shorter rod and small waters I don’t think it matters. Balance would be more important.

I rock a large arbor on my 3w T&T contact.  Works very well. 

RRobert

• cast, mend, drift, hope, step, repeat.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 26, 2019, 07:57 PM »
if you are looking to replace your broken rod with one of similar length (under 8') a large arbor reel with a drag is overkill. a 4wt 6' 10 and a 4wt 10' are very different rods with different purposes. might be better to define what kind of fishing you want that 4wt to handle.
Every rod has a story, and some of them are true.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.