FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Remote Camping - Richardson  (Read 2089 times)

Turnbuckle

Remote Camping - Richardson
« on: Jun 24, 2018, 08:08 AM »
I take my father camping every August for his birthday. We like the remote type stuff and have done things around Cupusptic, Azicohos, stayed at South Arm etc since I was around 5 years old. Last 10 years we have been out on Farm island on Moosehead.

Not sure how many we have left, so want to head back to Western Maine and stay on Richardson. He always liked going to the middle dam and wants to check out the new upper dam. Fishing is secondary, just want a good site.

Any recommendations on the 30 or so remote sites from top to bottom? I’ve only stayed at some on the lower.

Have a 18footer with a fairly large outboard. Prefer a beach and possible wind protection.

Thanks.

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

fish wayniac

Re: Remote Camping - Richardson
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2018, 05:11 PM »
I have camped at Richardson 3 different times. Last July me and the family stayed at Big beaver island for 5 nights.  Not a beach but you can tuck  your boat in and its some what sheltered. The sandy beach sites are hard to get . Pine island, Metallak island and Black point are nice. Never camped but boated there and hung out on the beach without bothering the campers.
Tom’s Woodyard has a sandy beach and is protected and near the Narrows.You and your Dad will enjoy where ever you stay.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Thanks for the input. I’ll give them a call and set something up. Moosehead is first come first serve and I’ve squeezed in and got a site every time, but like the idea of a reservation.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

NewportMe

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Paugus site is near the campground with beach and small somewhat sheltered cove. we are headed there wednesday

Bruce

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I've camped the South Arm remote sites probably a dozen or more times. It's my favorite trip of the year. Our favorite site on the lake is Bur 1. It's got a cove with deep water, you can leave your motor down and it's a real sandy beach. We like it because if it's blowing you can still load the boat and depart camp easy. It's by far the most booked remote site they have. This is it, the cove is just awesome for bringing in loaded boats.

It's only downfall is a very steep climb up what we call Mt. Poopashima. The privy is quite a climb up from the site.

Our 2nd favorite is Sandbanks, followed by Bur 2. We've stayed at some others but if it's available, Bur 1 is our go to.

The sites in the Narrows are great as well because of the shelter from any wind. And as said above they have good, sandy boat access.

To be fair, I have not camped many of the upper Richardson sites, but have visited quite a few. Some of them are definitely better suited to kayak access.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2018, 02:51 PM »
Called and rattled off every site mentioned. All booked. They had 2 sites 15 miles up lake, no beach, figured it could hold my boat, didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling. Guess I’ll be headed back to Moosehead. Thanks everyone for the input. I would have never imagined it was so popular.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Yup, good choice unfortunately, the sites on the northern end tend to have rockier shorelines. It's a busy place, such a great lake.

jrelaxin

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I'll be up there weekend of july 13..................... :)
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.