FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody make salmon patties from rainbow trout?  (Read 1825 times)

taxid

Anybody make salmon patties from rainbow trout?
« on: Jun 13, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Due to exceptional fast growth of rainbow trout I'm rearing (sterile female triploids) I will exceed carrying capacity of my flow through pond sometime in August or September. So I need to thin them out. I've never been a big eater of trout, but love salmon patties. Rainbow are essentially the same thing as salmon, so was wondering if anyone has ever made salmon patties of trout?

I'll be researching this on the Internet but wondered if anyone has ever done this?

This looks promising:

https://honest-food.net/trout-cakes-recipe/

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

Re: Anybody make salmon patties from rainbow trout?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2022, 09:16 AM »
I make smoked trout salad.  Easy, smiked trout, mayo, little dijon, capers, red onion, and salt and pepper.  I could eat a ton if it.

fishinator

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2022, 10:52 AM »
I make patties out of panfish. Never tried trout. I have always heard pellet fed fish do not taste good though.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2022, 03:33 PM »
I make smoked trout salad.  Easy, smiked trout, mayo, little dijon, capers, red onion, and salt and pepper.  I could eat a ton if it.

Sounds great, but I don't have a smoker or a clue on how to do it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2022, 03:37 PM »
I make patties out of panfish. Never tried trout. I have always heard pellet fed fish do not taste good though.

If that is the case maybe the spices and herbs in the above recipe could ameliorate that?

I do know in commercially reared fish in tanks the fish are "purged" as in fasted for a few days before harvest in fresh water to produce a better flavor.

These fish are also raised in an earthen pond vs. a raceway which might help?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2022, 08:15 AM »
Sounds great, but I don't have a smoker or a clue on how to do it.

I'm not sure I can have a culinary discussion with you until this problem is rectified. You don't have a charcoal kettle grill at all? You can smoke in a $50 Weber knockoff just fine and it would be the perfect thing to do with your trout.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2022, 08:32 AM »
I'm not sure I can have a culinary discussion with you until this problem is rectified. You don't have a charcoal kettle grill at all? You can smoke in a $50 Weber knockoff just fine and it would be the perfect thing to do with your trout.

I see!  :rotflol:

I'll have to look into that.

fishinator

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2022, 10:27 AM »
I smoked on a regular grill for years before I bought a smoker. You can wrap wood chips in heavy foil or just soak them and set next to coals.
  A great brine for any trout or salmon is equal parts brown sugar, soy and oil.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.