FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Homemade smoker?  (Read 13158 times)

esox slayer

Re: Homemade smoker?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2006, 06:32 PM »
essox is right...its nasty stuff  http://www.vitaminsdiary.com/metal-fume-fever.html
got the smoker putting it together now...not the 60dollar model though. a real nice propane one. ill post pics ofter i finish putting her together

any easy dry rub recipies for trout? i bought some emerils fish rub,  and some chef pauls magic salmon seasoning. prefer to try a rub instead of a brine this time

billybono

I just read the link you made on the fume sickness...sounds pretty close to the real thing....

Pikemaster..click on that link and it'll give you a good idea what I was talking about....Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2006, 07:28 PM »
well here it is
129.99 at walley world

propane fired

seems really nice

billybono

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Very nice, I cant read the brand name, who makes that? I have never seen them befor in Canada...we do have Bradley...I bought one of these beauties last season, excellent, gets used on a regular basis

this is the one I own....

If you decide to use an old fridge or make a box, you can but this unit to attacht to it and run the smoker like a Bradley.

and this is the 2006 model...GAAWWD! she is gorgeous...6 racks and digital..$$$$$$$$$$$

billybono

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 07:44 PM »
the brand name on this one great outdoors/smokey mountian series  made in mississauga, ontario

that one you have is the nutz  ;D

the one i got is actually in the bass pro catalog number 21-612-976-20 for 149.99

and i took that pic there in front of my islanders skybox vending machine just for you junkey  ;D ;D j/k

billybono

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Oh, I noticed the box in the background, but since we are both out of the playoff pictures I decided to let it slide. I was looking at one of those aswell for my leaf room.

FisherGirl

• Thank God for fish.
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 09:25 PM »
I already brought this idea on here a coupel of months ago, with the trash can. It was pretty shot down and everyone said use caution. I looked up galvenized zinc and couldnt find anything harmful about it. but liek it was said b4, just buy the real thing for 60$

The $60 model I have seen is a bit small- I am thinking of something a little bigger- billybono's is pretty nice- What about wood?  Would wood work?!
HeeeEEEeeer fishy fishy fishy...

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 09:29 PM »
wow thanks bb and esox, im glad i stayed away from it.! wonder what happened to the poor guy who made that trash can smoker! I have an old bbq becuase were buying a new one. Ill try to convert that, if it doesnt work, ill buy a 60$ one. I think I have about 90$ worth the gift certificates to bass pro.

Fishing is life

MIRC!

billybono

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 09:41 PM »
the problem with wood...like was mentioned before is heat control, which is the key to smoking

i actually had bought the 60 dollar model at loews. it didnt have a thermometer installed  so i got one of them to put in it.and i had assumed that there would be a thermistor on the heating eliment to regulate heat...there wasent...one heat setting(on!!!) add 10 bucks for that. anyways i went to wallyworld to look for some apple chips. had that model , bought it, and returned the other one to lowes. it has a 10 year burner warranty and a 5 year body warranty. ive tryed to build my own stuff before ie- a few ice shacks, some outboard mounts. ive found its cheaper in the long run to buy somthing someone else designed

but for what its worth

but however the 60 dollar and 45 dollar electric did have a rack undernieth that top one...so it comes with 2

they sell a rack that fits PERFECTLY inside of a galvinized trash can....go figure...12.99

if your determined to build one, i would find an old fridge and go that route.

billybono

billybono

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 09:47 PM »
The $60 model I have seen is a bit small- I am thinking of something a little bigger- billybono's is pretty nice- What about wood?  Would wood work?!

if you're talking about wood for the actually smoker...ill quote this book...

here is an excerpt...Here are some hints on construction:  shape and size: the most convenient form is a rectangular box about 2 1/2 times as it is wide.  For example, a box 18 inches by 18 inches by 42 inches would be appropriate for use with a 12 inch hibachi.  In any case, the sides of the oven must be clear of the fire container and there should be a 2 foot clearance between the hibachi and the top of the oven.
Materials: To avoid warping, under the influence of heat and weather, the plywood should be at least 3/8 of an inch thick.  Marine plywood would be very good but a less costly outdoor grade will suffice.

FisherGirl

• Thank God for fish.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 09:52 PM »
yes, I am talking about wood fof the actual box itself- I am thinking like a "miniature sauna"!!  I think I have an idea- I am gonna try it out this weekend... we'll see what happens..

billybono

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I was looking at one of those aswell for my leaf room.

dont. there are serious compressor issues with them. i kind of got roped into buying it when i had every intention of buying a fridge for a kegerator(kind of like the smoker today ;) )

anyway continuing off topic  http://www.dixienarco.com/ get a 440 of ebay , and buy a panel...im sure you have seen a soda machine with a leafs panel up there

now.....

look here for a cheap 440 http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.video.arcade.collecting?lnk=oa&hl=en ...and i have a ms pacman coctail table , and a few other machines priced to sell  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

billybono

FisherGirl

• Thank God for fish.
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Actually, I have changed my mind.  I think I am gonna try to build a stone smoker!  We'll see how it works out here.

ladyfish

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 11:20 AM »
The picture that  billybono  shows is a very good model.  I believe that one is the smaller one.  We opted to buy the larger model, at just under $200.  We had been looking for some time.  We purchased ours at a Gander Mountain store in Rochester,NY  about 2 1/2 years ago.  Last year I did see the smaller model being sold at Walley World.  We really like ours.  We do a variety of meats in it.  As the video that came with ours shows, you can smoke more than one kind of meat in it at a time.  The different meat flavors don't mix together in the different meats.  Sometimes we inject the meats with a marinade also.  The different kinds of wood chips used in the smoking process also gives a different flavor to the meats.  I personally like alder or apple for poultries(cornish game hens are better than beer can chicken).  These wood chips also give venison and other red meats a nice flavor.  There are all kinds of different wood chips you can use.

billybono

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 11:39 AM »
the biggest problem i have had is getting the temp lower than what low will put out, which is about 200 degrees. i have been able to get it as low as 80 by throttling the gas valve

billybono

ladyfish

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 11:58 AM »
I normally do not control the temperature in the smoker.  My husband usually takes care of that.  Because we do smoke a lot of venison and beef products, we like to get an internal temp of at least 165 deg.  After one of our children had Lyme Disease, we make sure these meats get to that temp.  You can get Lyme from eating under cooked meat if the animal was infected with it, besides getting bit by the tick. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.