FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wine anyone?  (Read 11862 times)

Cider

Re: Wine anyone?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2004, 01:47 PM »
Oh yeah, I have had Estancia wines before.  They are pretty good too.  I like the Estancia Meritage (blend of merlot, cab sauv, and cab franc).  I like your idea of the Pinot Grigio too.

You know, the "proper" pairing of wines and foods is correct.  If you were to strictly choose wine based upon the time-honored traditions, you would find that they are great compliments.  However, I have to agree that things are pretty good when you mix it up a bit too.

I like to drink wine based upon my moods as well as what's for dinner or what I want to snack on.  Sometimes I just get a craving for a particular "flavor" and that is the only thing that will satisfy the itch regardless of what time of day, season, or food that I am eating.

Somers

« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I agree Cider.  Depends on the mood a lot of the time.  Sometimes it's not wine at all.  For instance I like really spicy foods (esp. thai fish or cajun fish) paired w/a Guinness Stout or Turbo Dog.  I like that choclatey finish w/ the spices. 

I generally don't get too many expensive wines, maybe $20. a bottle tops, but I like to keep a 1.5 around the kitchen for cooking and sipping when necessary.  These are usually the cheapies like Delicato, Bella Sera, etc.  My fiancee enjoys wine a lot more than I do.

grumpymoe

« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:17 PM »
sorry cider...dont know how i missed your request...i dont know what you have available your way, but when i first got started, i should have done one thing better...dont under buy carboys, or any other piece of equipment when you get started.. most beer/wine stores carry all you need to produce high quality wine at home....there's such a huge variation in kit prices, but for someone with a taste for fine wine, will know exactly what kits to purchase...i purchase some of the cheaper white wine kits right at my local supermarket...other times, i go into the specialty stores in winnipeg, manitoba and shop around to see whats new..most of the stores are super friendly and very knowledgeable as you would expect..DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED starting for the first time...i can get home after work, and start 2-3 or 4 5 gallon batches of wine, and be sitting with my feet up, and everything cleaned as well, in about 45-60 minutes...once your wine is ready to be bottled, you can make and event out of it with friends...i have bottled 60-90 in less than 1 hour...the most important thing when making your own wine...you must work absolutely clean at all times...let me know when you start the first kit... grump

Cider

« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Sometimes it's not wine at all.  For instance I like really spicy foods (esp. thai fish or cajun fish) paired w/a Guinness Stout or Turbo Dog.  I like that choclatey finish w/ the spices. 

I hear ya!  I really like a pint of guinness now and again.  Don't care for the stout as much as I do the draught.  I really love German beers.  Got hooked on them in the service.

One of my favorites from Bamberg is called Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier.  This is a very stout, dark, bottom fermented beer that has a very strong smoked flavor.  They take the malt and smoke it over beech wood and then mix it with premium hops and let it mature in cellars that are very deep and over 700 years old.

Most people don't like this beer when they first try it, but you really learn to like it after a while.  The first few sips always tasted like a bacon cheeseburger to me!!  ;D

Maisels Weisse is my all time favorite hefeweizen beer.

Somers

« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2004, 04:55 PM »
I'm drooling over here Cider.

When I went to Ireland, I drank mostly Murphy's stout over Guinness solely because it had a smokier flavor in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I like draughts too.

Funny you mentioned the cheeseburgers and heffeweizen.  I've had some heffeweizens that tasted like butter popcorn to me.

Cider

« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2004, 07:51 PM »
Funny you mentioned the cheeseburgers and heffeweizen.  I've had some heffeweizens that tasted like butter popcorn to me.

That would be because they are a wheat beer and the fermentation process will "carmalize" it a little giving it that smooth buttery taste!  I have experienced that with heffe's too!

I really like a good hefeweizen with a handful of m&m's for a chaser.  I always found that combination of wheat beer and chocolate to be out of this world!

minnow

« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Hey Grump

I have just started making my own wine at home.
I have a batch under my belt.
Do you think the wine filter is worth it. I have not used one yet.
I tought this should be a private message but could not see how to do that.

Cider

« Reply #22 on: Apr 02, 2004, 08:07 PM »
I tought this should be a private message but could not see how to do that.

You need five posts before all the options of this site will be activated for you.

Besides, I want to hear/read the answer to your question!  I am interested in making wine but haven't tried it before.  Any information is useful for me!

minnow

« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2004, 08:20 PM »
Thanks Cider

I was a bit overwhelmed at first with home wine making but the instruction in the kit were very straight forward and it is alot of fun. I like to hear opinions of the pros.

Thanks for the info on how the site works aswell

Minnow

grumpymoe

« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:59 AM »
the wine filtering pump is well worth the investment, especially if you intend on racking a worthwile batch....( reds).....if you are making some for fairly quick consumption it doesn't need to be filtered.....but will take longer to clear out...basically there are 3 stages to filtering...#3 filters are the finest and remove any objects over .05 microns...important to get the yeast cells out...the last thing you need is refermenting to start after your batch is bottled.  buon vino makes an excellent pump for around $110.00 cdn and will last a long time as long as it doesn't get overheated from filtering too many batches in succession..grump

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 06, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Hey Cider....two things 1) where is this book of rules at for wine??  Always hear people talking about this kind for this and that kind for this??  Confuses the $hit out of me.  Any help would be great!!
2)  My Dad (tejeg2002) makes his own wine also and man is it good.  I think his Grape (guess that would be a Red????) is the best I've ever had.  Maybe when he comes to NewYork I'll have him bring a bottle or two and we can try it after a day of Chuckin'.  Just a thought.  Between Grump and my Dad, you should be all set to set up a winery of your own.  Careful though, seems homebrew wine is twice as potent  :P

S/F
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Cider

« Reply #26 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:36 PM »
Hey Cider....two things 1) where is this book of rules at for wine?? 

Hey Steve, go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and check with the help desk to put you in the right section.  There are lots of great books on learning about wine.  However, this costs you money.

Try this for a start.  If you still crave more info, then go to the bookstore!

In the first site, follow the list of links that are on the left side of the screen.  It will tell you basically everything you ever wanted to know about wine.  There is a great link about wine basics and wine & food and how to select and pair wine.  But these are just guidelines.  Go with your instincts and taste.  That alone will tell you what you like!

http://www.wine.com/aboutwine/default.asp

If you really want to go overboard...  This site has a lot of info too, plus there is a forum there where you can talk about nothing but wine!  I don't post there.  MFF and IS are my only cyber homes!  ;D

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Home

Oh, hey Steve...  Best advice about wine.  After you read the link about the basics and learn the differences between the different types, just start buying them at random and try the various varieties.  You will learn what type you like and what you don't.  After you narrow down the type of wine you like (ie red merlot, cab sauv, pinot noir or white pinot grigio, chardonnay, reisling), then you can start to target those wines and try the offerings from various vinyards.  Then you will start to identify patterns of which vinyards you like and which varieties you like the best.

As far as pairing with food...  go with the basic guidelines at first, but then experiment and do what suits you best!!

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the only way to get good at the wine game is to drink a lot of it!!   

Let me know if you have any more questions!

grumpymoe

« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2004, 09:46 PM »
cider....many a bottle tried, ended up as draino!! you DONT have to drink it... ;D ;D  anyone have questions, please feel free anytime.....as long as it doesn't interfere with fishing....grump

slipbob

« Reply #28 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:44 AM »
I don't care much for pinot noir's but the best I've had is from Tazmania it's called 9th Island.  Otherwise it's shiraz and cabernet sauvignon for me.  A great Shiraz is made by Bill Blass and marketed under Greg Norman.  The 2001 Limestone coast Shiraz about 14$ a bottle is awesome.  Downed another one last night with my girlfriend with some roast chicken potatoes and spinach.  Another new standout is Joel Zygot's creations marketed under 3 Thieves and comes in the new chic screwtops.  They produce an outstanding zin and cab.  It's a 750ml and about 12 bucks.  I highly reccommend it.  Gotta love red wine no whites for me.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2004, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Now I'm really screw'd.  I usually stick with Coors Light cuz its easy for me to keep that straight.  I'll start trying different bottles of Reds with Deer and Beef (Is that how that works???) or is Red wine good with fish, like Perch and Crappies.  Either way should be fun trying different ones out.  Just have to make sure I dont get as think as you drunk I am  ;D

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.