FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The worst walleye I've ever had  (Read 10287 times)

devil-man

The worst walleye I've ever had
« on: Aug 08, 2006, 07:23 AM »
I fried up some fillets last night and had run out of oil.
So I used butter instead.

BIG mistake- Don't do it.  :nono:
It takes away from the clean, flaky texture that we all love.
Not to mention giving it that slightly rancid flavor...

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
Re: The worst walleye I've ever had
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:00 AM »
alright thanks d man, i stick with oil always, now I know forsure not to use butter!

Fishing is life

MIRC!

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:06 AM »
I fried up some fillets last night and had run out of oil.
So I used butter instead.

BIG mistake- Don't do it.  :nono:
It takes away from the clean, flaky texture that we all love.
Not to mention giving it that slightly rancid flavor...

I don't doubt you at all, I'm just wondering if your butter was rancid??????
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:51 AM »
I'm just wondering if your butter was rancid?

Nope- That wasn't the case.

Butter just has that flavor of it's own that took over...

slipbob

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Butter is fine if you watch your cooking temperature.  If you try to "fry" with butter forget it.  You must do a very low temp sautee and the fish will be fine but it will take a while to cook compared to frying.  Butter must not be burned or browned or it gets funky with fish. 

devil-man

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:34 PM »
Butter must not be burned or browned or it gets funky with fish. 

It won't happen again.
What a waste of walleye...

Pikeguy

« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:40 PM »
Mike, what's the story behind the new avatar? Just curious of course  :)

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Butter is fine if you watch your cooking temperature.  If you try to "fry" with butter forget it.  You must do a very low temp sautee and the fish will be fine but it will take a while to cook compared to frying.  Butter must not be burned or browned or it gets funky with fish. 
Correct Slip.  Except in the case of " beurre meuniere" fish dishes, which can go a little hotter to get the browning effect.  In these dishes the butter is often combined with an acid like lemon juice (and parsley) -- called beurre noisette, I believe.

The other options are to clarify the butter first to raise it's smoke point or to combine the butter with a little oil to protect it from the heat.

It won't happen again.
What a waste of walleye...

Don't be afraid D-man.  Trout meuniere is one of the classics.  Maybe I'll make some on the ice in Feb... :rotflol: :rotflol:

devil-man

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:50 PM »
Mike, what's the story behind the new avatar? Just curious of course 
It's just a decent pic of me and a "friend with benefits"... Is that alright?  ::)

Trout meuniere is one of the classics.  Maybe I'll make some on the ice in Feb...

I hope you can change my mind. You sill owe me a raised hand (ie: A PM).

8)

Pikeguy

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:51 PM »
It's just a decent pic of me and a "friend with benefits"... Is that alright?  ::)

8)

Hey man, that's all I was wonderin! Sorry, I notice avatar changes too easily as I spend entirely too much time here.  :-[

slipbob

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:53 PM »
You're right xrhino. Like you said when I make my walleye or crappie meuniere I first coat the fish in seasoned flour and then simply sautee them in butter.  When done I set the filets aside, add more butter and lemon slices and sautee those for a minute and then pour that over the filets.   :P  It's simply a "knockoff" of the classic "sole meuniere" that's been around for many, many years.  Crappie works especially well with that combo. 

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2006, 02:01 PM »
You're right xrhino. Like you said when I make my walleye or crappie meuniere I first coat the fish in seasoned flour and then simply sautee them in butter.  When done I set the filets aside, add more butter and lemon slices and sautee those for a minute and then pour that over the filets.   :P  It's simply a "knockoff" of the classic "sole meuniere" that's been around for many, many years.  Crappie works especially well with that combo. 
Agreed.  Nice to see yet another fellow culinarian on here. ;)

slipbob

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Agreed.  Nice to see yet another fellow culinarian on here. ;)

Heck yeah!  I love to cook fish many, many different ways and always enjoy trying new recipes.  Some of the best recipes have come from chef Lucia Watson who does a lot of the In-Fisherman recipes, many of which are on their website.  My all time favorite is Walleye with White Wine Sauce over egg noodles ;D  Cooking is one of life's essentials along with providing the tasty fish that are the basis for so many recipes.  That to me is the essence of fishing.  Catching tasty fish, bringing them home, and cooking them yourself while enjoying tasty adult bevarages ;) 

devil-man

« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2006, 03:10 PM »
Cooking is one of life's essentials along with providing the tasty fish that are the basis for so many recipes.  That to me is the essence of fishing.  Catching tasty fish, bringing them home, and cooking them yourself while enjoying tasty adult bevarages.

J- You just nailed it!
Stange's selective harvest, and the pure enjoyment of the outdoors.
Is it any wonder that we go fishing?

Like my avatar?  :afro:

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Heck yeah!  I love to cook fish many, many different ways and always enjoy trying new recipes.  Some of the best recipes have come from chef Lucia Watson who does a lot of the In-Fisherman recipes, many of which are on their website.  My all time favorite is Walleye with White Wine Sauce over egg noodles ;D  Cooking is one of life's essentials along with providing the tasty fish that are the basis for so many recipes.  That to me is the essence of fishing.  Catching tasty fish, bringing them home, and cooking them yourself while enjoying tasty adult bevarages ;) 

Wow, that's eerie!  Mss. Watson is one of my inspirations at work.  My copy of of "Savoring the Seasons of the Northern Heartland" is completely dog-eared and stained (and signed).  I've been to her restaurant in Minneapolis twice.  Two of the best meals I've had in the midwest.  We now have a couple restaurants here that run on the same premise of matching the menu to the seasons.  She is a goddess.

If you like her try Charlie Trotter, a fellow alum of UW and an amazing chef.  His salmon dishes give me goosebumbs.

And just for fun... Get Nigella Lawson for comfort food.  If nothing else, you can just stare at her eyes on the cover. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.