FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Day off paid off  (Read 1733 times)

zwiggles

Day off paid off
« on: Sep 20, 2019, 10:48 PM »
I had the day off today and went north looking for some fish. I had hoped for an early start, but my dog killed a skunk last night. I slept very poorly as a result and got out of bed at 9am. I did stop at a fly shop and got some new gear, and some advice which payed off. Finally I got to one of the spots I wanted to try around 2pm. I didn’t have the energy or need to go anywhere else.

I had the “new to me” spot to myself and found chilly water and trout rising. After a few misses and getting used to a new rod I proceeded to land 14 ish trout from 2-6pm. Probably a dozen little brookies 4-8” and 2 good sized rainbows maybe 10” with a TON of missed fish.

I missed two good fish three separate times after waiting them out. I think these were larger fish judging from the shadows I saw, and unlike the others they only struck once before requiring 10-15 minutes to hit again.

I landed 7 fish on the first fly before I decided to “retire it”, and another 3-4 on the same pattern before I snapped the hook off somehow.

The hookless fly resulted in a hilarious situation where I must have made the same rainbow rise 15 times in a row. A few times totally out of the water. I repositioned, tried anticipating the strike, waiting after it hit to set the “hook”, and everything I could think of. It got to the point where I knew where and when it would rise. Finally I pulled it in and looked at it only to realize what was going on, and had a laugh. I think when I snapped it of with my pliers on the previous fish. Wouldnt you know it when I put on something with a hook the fish was all set.

Although I tried to get some pictures the fish just were not cooperating. Some of them looked like they could be wild so I tried to handle them as little as possible.

I really had a great time, and thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction. I caught more trout on dry flys today than I have all summer I think.

bikrsrule

Re: Day off paid off
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2019, 02:39 AM »
Thank you for sharing your day with us. Nice when it all comes together..

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2019, 03:41 AM »
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing Z!
Wicked Wec

Digs

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2019, 10:19 AM »
Nice work!! Glad you got on some fish!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Nice job Z ..    :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Nice work, always nice when some effort pays back.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2019, 06:45 PM »
Nice wiggles.  Enjoy the journey it's the best part.  Come see me when you are ready!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.