FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walden pond kio?  (Read 3847 times)

88fishing

walden pond kio?
« on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:17 AM »
anyone ever see the kio in walden pond i saw them 2 years ago and they are giants there was one white one probly 25-30lb 3 feet long and 1.5 feet wide wondering if anyone has tryed to catch them? bet they would put up a nice fight hahaha

FishingNewEngland

Re: walden pond kio?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:27 AM »
anyone ever see the kio in walden pond i saw them 2 years ago and they are giants there was one white one probly 25-30lb 3 feet long and 1.5 feet wide wondering if anyone has tryed to catch them? bet they would put up a nice fight hahaha

The koi are similar to carp and would probablt fight the same. Might pi$$ some people off though.  ;D
Contributing blogger at www.wickedfishah.com

88fishing

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:48 AM »
haha i wouldnt care if i caught  that white one id be happy lol that thing was a monster they were in a school of 8 ranging from 10-30lbs pritty cool to watch but all i had was lures no bait so they wouldnt even look at anything i throw at them

yakk

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2011, 04:56 PM »
The koi are similar to carp and would probablt fight the same. Might pi$$ some people off though.  ;D
those traditionalist snob neighbors maybe practicing bucket bio, :o

88fishing

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:51 PM »
you think you would get in truoble with the police if you caught one? i mean you can fish there i dont see thet could say you cant target them, im not going to eat them or anything just take a pic and let them go if i got yelled at by the neighbors i could care less they will get over it hahaha i jus think they would be an awsome fight these things were the biggest fish ive seen in fresh water

JustOsmo

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2011, 06:20 PM »
I don't think theres any law against catching them as they are probably considered  an invasive species.

ma_fisherman

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:26 PM »
Those koi (or others) have been in that pond for several yrs.  I believe there are at least 3 of them....they tend to hang in the coves.  There would be no law against catching them...in fact i think you would probably be doing a service by removing them from the pond.  They are considered an invasive species.  Now i am no biologist nor do i have any knowledge of ecology so i do not understand the ecological impact these fish have on the habitat they now reside in.  They certainly seem harmless to me and most who walk the pond and fish the pond seem to enjoy them.  I always hear people talking about them or trying to snap pictures.  I do know, though, that when similiar species were in winter pond in winchester the town put out a bounty on the fish.  I think it was a 100 bucks or something like that and a flier was posted down at the main public fishing access area with a picture of the koi saying "have you seen me".  When he was finally caught there was an article in the local paper a couple yrs back.  The problem you will have trying to catch these fish is that they are extremely wary and intelligent.  All fish of similiar species such as carp seem to have these characteristics but especially a koi under these circumstances.  These fish have probably been targeted every day of their life practically and seen just about every bait and every method thrown at them.  They are no fools and would be very tough to trick them into taking your bait.  Saying that, though, it is possible and eventually they are tricked sometimes into taking your bait and if you are lucky enough to get them to fall for your bait then hold on. 

mrplow411

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2011, 06:00 AM »
I'd wait till the beach is packed. I'd go out catch one from shore light up a cigarette and proceed to rain blows upon it with the biggest stick i could find gutting it in-front of every stuck up swimmer who ever crossed my lines, and hang to dry in front of all the tourists taking pictures of me.  but I'm not bitter
Recked'em dam near killed'em

Mr.Sodus

• just don't cheat; at whatever you do...
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2011, 06:18 AM »
I'd wait till the beach is packed. I'd go out catch one from shore light up a cigarette and proceed to rain blows upon it with the biggest stick i could find gutting it in-front of every stuck up swimmer who ever crossed my lines, and hang to dry in front of all the tourists taking pictures of me.  but I'm not bitter
you HAVE to ice fish with us later this year.
Get away from me.

LENZ

• Member of the G.O.D.S
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:13 AM »
bow hunt them in a shallow cove..

burp

soft water fishin' is for softies

burp

88fishing

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:36 AM »
ok good so im not the only one that thinks they could be bad for the other fish, i bet they eat alot of the fish eggs. i have had kio in my back yard pond and they eat everything so i know they arnt vegitarians they use to love bologny and cooked hamburg lol untill the racoons got them,  and theres alot more then three now there were three real big ones and then 5-7 10lbers a couple years ago

88fishing

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:39 AM »
bow hunt them in a shallow cove..

burp

that would be fun put some spot lights on the crawdad and do some night bow fishing lol

Tuna Meltdown

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:13 PM »
They can be taken pretty easy on fly.  I have caught them in other ponds before while trout fishing.  I bumble bee colored wet fly seems to be their favorite.  Justbe sure to lead them with your cast, they are very spooky and strip the fly slowly past their nose.  It should get their attention.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:41 PM »
They can be taken pretty easy on fly.  I have caught them in other ponds before while trout fishing.  I bumble bee colored wet fly seems to be their favorite.  Justbe sure to lead them with your cast, they are very spooky and strip the fly slowly past their nose.  It should get their attention.

Agreed. I have caught and released several in a small pond on Wachusett Mountain using a fly rod. Not sure it was legal but I did it.

No doubt the fish get in there from someone that dumped them from their Koi pond or aquarium. Are you sure it's Koi or not just a large goldfish?

Personally if no one was around a large treble hook with some sinkers clamped on the hook shaft would do the job just fine. Fouling hooking in the head in the cartilage is your best bet of landing the fish. Otherwise it would probably tear loose.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

88fishing

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:55 PM »
i dont think it was goldfish i know they can get big but one of them was no joke 30+ pounds and i have thought of the waited treble lol i think that would be the easiest way haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.