FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tackle storage for different disciplines  (Read 2562 times)

fontona19

Re: Tackle storage for different disciplines
« Reply #15 on: Jul 30, 2019, 08:19 PM »
The problem that I ran into with what most people here are describing Is what I refer to as crossover baits. They are baits that I use for many different disciplines of fishing. What I've decided to do was have individual tackle boxes for each type of lure and then a couple of different bags that I can fill as I need them.

JDK

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31, 2019, 04:47 AM »
I think the soft sided tackle bag with multiple boxes sort of fits that niche. Being mostly a cold water troller, I have a box for each type of lure I mainly use. Cross over lures for me are stickbaits and I have a box for those. Easy to grab. I can also store leader materials, terminal tackle, pliers, and releases. Keeps the boat neat and oNe grab and go

What works for me may not for other species. I do have a full bass table box with all of my stuff and a couple of milk crates for my muskie lures
# SAND

Roccus

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I'm sure over the years here there have been threads on this, I may have even started one previously, but it is a continually changing situation.

Compared to most of you guys I am an infant in the world of fishing. I have basically focused my last 15 years in fishing in three disciplines, ice fishing for warmwater species, bass fishing and coldwater trolling. I have not fly fished and my experience on the salt is extremely limited. This past year I have been trying to teach myself the salt and it's been humiliating but interesting. My question for you guys that fish all different disciplines is how do you deal with your gear bags/tackle boxes? Do you have a separate tackle box for each kind of excursion? I'm asking because it seems in a single week I can fish for warmwater species one night, troll for trout and salmon the next, then on the weekend spend a day on the salt. Each night prior it seems I need to spend an hour to build my tackle box for the day coming. Do you have a set of clippers and pliers and fish grippers in each different tackle box? Or do you have one gigantic tackle box for everything that goes on every trip? Maybe one bag that has the common essentials like pliers and nippers, then a separate tackle box geared for the specific mission?

Trying to make life easier and maybe I am a bit anal in my organization but very interested to see how you guys handle the crazy amount of gear.

nice thread...not only do I separate disciplines,  I separate for methods, IE,bait versus lures, wire line trolling versus lead core or flat line,I have trolling spoons for the big lake ( Ontario) separate from trolling spoons for small lakes, I have tackle boxes for bottom fishing, some for just a single species, even my boat is a tackle box, I'm a firm believer in "systems", that meaning that each tackle box can easily be incorporated into the  next.utility boxes that contain terminal tackle, pliars and dehookers are mobile so I don't have to "build" a new set up each time I fish, it's grab and go, with the boat, a lot of stuff just stays there.. My basement/shop would make bass pro shops blush...I've often thought of insuring the tackle, but I'm afraid that if my wife actually figured out what it was worth... well, I'd rather not say!

Fish Farmer

« Reply #18 on: Aug 04, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I have one standard big tackle box that has all my spinning lures/bass plastics which would go with me on the boat/canoe or pick out of if I was spin fishing stream side. This has become more storage of my "antique" lures since I don't fish out of this box much and many lures are over 20 years old. I do have a couple of small lure boxes that can fit rapalas, spinner and line hardware if I go hiking to some remote pond.

My saltwater spinning tackle is a small arrangement, soft plastics in a ziploc bag and lures in small lure boxes.

Ice fishing is in a container that also works as a half seat in a bucket. I mostly jig now for panfish now so everything goes in the bucket.

Boat trolling for salmonids. A couple of ammo boxes and plastic tupperware  containers for line, dipsys, downrigger repair. Spoons are on a flat foam"lure locker".

Flyfishing which I do most often is two or three bags. I have a chest bag for saltwater, several boxes of flies, snippers, knife, pliers, bug dope. I can switch out the fly boxes for hardware if I'm spin fishing. I have a shoulder bag for freshwater fishing, it has the similar basic gear as the saltwater, just different boxes of flies. I have the boxes designated, mayfly drys, caddis drys, nymphs and streamers, small nymphs, steelhead flies, warm water flies. I just stuff what I need and go. Usually many of those boxes stay in the van or are in my fly tying area.

I'm considering another small fanny pack that I have for small stream fishing, simple flies and hooks for brookie trips, maybe some spinners and small rapalas.

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2019, 06:59 AM »
Fish Farmer I may switch to a waist pack too for fly fishing.  I read a good point on another blog which basically said you'll put a lot less stress on your back with a waist pack

Fish Farmer

« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2019, 11:48 AM »
Fish Farmer I may switch to a waste pack too for fly fishing.  I read a good point on another blog which basically said you'll put a lot less stress on your back with a waist pack

They can be good if you don't wade too much. I used to have the traditional fly vest which would soak in some of the places I like to stand. A buddy of mine who is now a professional flyfishing guide, suggested chest packs. I got the one I use for SW, which is now getting weathered and the zippers don't close well. I bought an Orvis sling pack a few years ago which is pretty much front chest/shoulder supported. I am planning on replacing it soon, one of the straps is separating from the pack, but other than that is has held up well. The newer Orvis ones look like they have less space. I did see many cheaper options online.

The waist pack I have is basically a "freebie" fanny pack my wife had which has multiple small pockets and a place for a water bottle. It should work well for hiking distances.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.