FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling with 4 stroke outboards  (Read 21622 times)

reeleyz

Trolling with 4 stroke outboards
« on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:47 PM »
I am thinking about getting a little bit bigger boat. I am looking at some 16' boats. Seems like most all new boats have 4 strokes this year.

I know the 4 strokes are supposed to idle down better than the 2 strokes.

My question for you guys is have you been sucessful getting a 50HP or 60HP 4 stroke to troll down to say 1.2 - 1.5 MPH?

Reel Force

Re: Trolling with a 4 stroke outboards
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:55 PM »
I got a 90hp and use a drift bag ... no problems.... not sure if that helps...  8)

esox v

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2011, 05:00 PM »
I am thinking about getting a little bit bigger boat. I am looking at some 16' boats. Seems like most all new boats have 4 strokes this year.

My question for you guys is have you been sucessful getting a 50HP or 60HP 4 stroke to troll down to say 1.2 - 1.5 MPH?
Yes you can... My question is would you want to put those hours on your big motor ?
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

reeleyz

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Yes you can... My question is would you want to put those hours on your big motor ?

Good point. I am not that concerened about it though. I have a 20 year old 30 HP evenirude that has hundreds, heck probably thousands of hours trolling on it with no issues.

DWS

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:06 PM »
I use a 50hp yamma on 18ft sea ark and it trolls down just fine. It's a 2 stroke though. Dont know if the 4 stroke would be different. Hard to handle the boat in the wind sometimes  on low trolling speeds . See ya

bcons

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2011, 06:42 PM »

If it doesn't a beaver tail/trolling plate can be had on ebay for $50 used, $80-100new.  Much better performance than a bag/sock or buckets. 
The thing with the 4 strokes and using the main to troll, is the maint........ 4 strokes require much more, & more moving parts than your old motor.  So depending on how much you troll, by the time you factor in increased maintance, buring more fuel than a kicker, possible increased repairs due to additional hours, & loss of value, is it worth it to you?  Everyones different.  Just don't forget the costs, even if you do your own maint, the gas north of $4? A 50-90 burns a WHOLE LOT more than a kicker even idled down.
I was berated for fishing & asked recently by a PETA type.  You don't keep fish do you?  I responded "No I don't like aquariums. I just treat them like a quick haircut, & take a little of the sides"

pyle

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:07 AM »

I have an '09 60 hp Merc 4 stroke  and it will troll down too 1.2 ;)

TheSystem

• fish free or die
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:26 AM »
also, if you're unhappy with the sped your motor holds, you can prop up or down, changing the pitch of the prop to increase or decrease thrust without changing the whole engine.  plus having a spare prop on hand never hurts.
Canadarago Lake Improvement Association President

reeleyz

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:47 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. All good info.

wsr137

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2011, 08:48 AM »
I tell everyone that gets a new 4 stroke from me to go and try it first.  Maybe 1 guy out of 20 will want to add a kicker...  

Someone else had mentioned cost and wear tear.  I agree. But, you also have to keep in mind to put a say a 10 hp kicker on the back new could cost you another $2k to $4k depending on how you wanna do it.  

The new 4 strokes will sit and idle all day.  Quiet, wont load up, and you just change the oil at the end of the season.  Im a fan of 4's for trolling.

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2011, 11:57 AM »
me to i have a 9.9, 4 S pro kicker on mine and it runs almost all day and it burns almost no fuel ,and no fumes and quiet, super pleased

SnowRd

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I troll with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke use 2 drift socks to really slow me down. maint. has not been an issue, oil and filters once a year. Engine has never loaded up. A drift sock is much cheaper than a kicker motor. and you can do probably 20 years of normal maintenance for the price of a kicker.

esox v

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I fish more than the average person... So... I would never want to use my main motor to troll with...  I can also troll 8 hours with my kicker and burn a gallon of gas. You can dial in your speed way better with a kicker..      
The key words are probably and normal maintenance..... I would double my routine maintenance If your running your outboard 4 to 8 hrs a day when your trolling all season and its way above normal use.
It probably won't be a problem... but if your big motor takes a dump... and they do... or boat dealers wouldn't have a  service department.... your going to be off the water until it's repaired and stranded on the water if it does. Not to mention paying the money to have a 50-60 hp repaired apposed to a 6. Your old 30 hp doesn't have a cam shaft and valves.
 I would look for a deal and add one in the future... for a 16ft boat a 9.9 would be big and you could use a smaller one.  

"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

JDK

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2011, 08:13 PM »
I have a Mercury 50 hp 4 stroke.  I can get to 1.8-1.9 without a bag.

# SAND

filetandrelease

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I fish more than the average person... So... I would never want to use my main motor to troll with...  I can also troll 8 hours with my kicker and burn a gallon of gas. You can dial in your speed way better with a kicker..      
The key words are probably and normal maintenance..... I would double my routine maintenance If your running your outboard 4 to 8 hrs a day when your trolling all season and its way above normal use.
It probably won't be a problem... but if your big motor takes a dump... and they do... or boat dealers wouldn't have a service department.... your going to be off the water until it's repaired and stranded on the water if it does. Not to mention paying the money to have a 50-60 hp repaired apposed to a 6. Your old 30 hp doesn't have a cam shaft and valves.
 I would look for a deal and add one in the future... for a 16ft boat a 9.9 would be big and you could use a smaller one.  

yep theres more to it than an oil change, your absolutely right , ;) in my case it would be just stupid to use my main motor to troll with, in some cases electric trollers are a better way to go than a 4S , cheaper and more cost effective  but for a gas troller it would be a 4S

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.