FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2012 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread  (Read 709878 times)

fishingaddict

• Fishing is not an addiction, Its the CURE!
Re: 2012 SALMON RIVER - SALMON AND STEELHEAD Thread
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Fished river yesterday without landing a fish...   0-9  not a good start to new year ;D   Seen 1 that was over 20 hooked.   There were whiteouts all day long then on my way home when I got to Oneida lake it turned off there was no snow.   Wish the winds died and the cold would stay for a few days,  just got in from shoveling my driveway my hands were throbbing after 5 mins,  its cold out there....  hey snagger did you fish at all?  See you made a trip to selkirk.   Might be up towards end of week.
Fish fear me!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:11 AM »

I got all dressed, then everyone went home, so I undressed and checked the pond.... 

That was Sandy pond not selkirk, the pond had 2-3 foot white caps on it... :'(  Easy 10-12 footers on Lake Ontario.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

draketrutta

« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:36 AM »
So I guess it's safe to say - No ICE FOR YOU !!! ;D

Snagger -  since you have detailed diaries of weather for the area, help me out-

I notice the lake effect machine finally turned on up there. What other years in recent history have taken so long?
At this pace, Lake O many never freeze and it could be a long white winter for the next 3 months up there.

Your post made me think about a Thanksgiving night a few years ago - I was driving N-81, hit the wall at Oneida, and recall praying to God while suffering vertigo @ 50mph trying to keep up with the backlights of a semi-truck -  that he would not leave the highway cause I would follow him.
Took me about 1/2 hr to pry my white knuckles from the steering wheel when I made to the C&M diner lot.

later
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

SNAGGER

« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:51 AM »
So I guess it's safe to say - No ICE FOR YOU !!! ;D

Snagger -  since you have detailed diaries of weather for the area, help me out-

I notice the lake effect machine finally turned on up there. What other years in recent history have taken so long?
At this pace, Lake O many never freeze and it could be a long white winter for the next 3 months up there.

Your post made me think about a Thanksgiving night a few years ago - I was driving N-81, hit the wall at Oneida, and recall praying to God while suffering vertigo @ 50mph trying to keep up with the backlights of a semi-truck -  that he would not leave the highway cause I would follow him.
Took me about 1/2 hr to pry my white knuckles from the steering wheel when I made to the C&M diner lot.

later
 Oh we have had 3 storms with over a half foot ( Nov.17th-18th, Dec,10th, December 28th)  a 3 incher on Nov. 10th and again on Dec. 1st, many 1 inchers since, but way to many thaws.. and warm snaps.... in 2006-007 when a winter like this last happened , we got pounded from late January through February with lake effect and made up for it... I hope it happens this year too.  Lake ontario doesn't freeze, it came close in 1977.

Heres something I thought I would never see again in my lifetime, a empty Altmar lot.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishshack

« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Nice salmon chop out there Shane.  Love pics of "angry seas"

cNr1day

« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:35 AM »
 Oh we have had 3 storms with over a half foot ( Nov.17th-18th, Dec,10th, December 28th)  a 3 incher on Nov. 10th and again on Dec. 1st, many 1 inchers since, but way to many thaws.. and warm snaps.... in 2006-007 when a winter like this last happened , we got pounded from late January through February with lake effect and made up for it... I hope it happens this year too.  Lake ontario doesn't freeze, it came close in 1977.

Heres something I thought I would never see again in my lifetime, a empty Altmar lot.

A miracle! Too bad we get moderating temps now and no hint of another Arctic outbreak for at least this week...
The long range through mid Jan. looks terrible.

SNAGGER

« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:02 PM »

I was looking at this one yesterday...Could be a very sharp boundary from around Syracuse north and the rest of the country...we'll see..Aint looking so great for Ice fishing south of Syracuse, but could go down as the best winter for steelheading on the Salmon River , surpassing the amazing 2006-007 winter season.

R.I.P Uncle Johnny

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Selkirk was flat calm on Sunday morning.  You could have been out in a kayak or canoe.

OneBucketMike

• OneBucketMike
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:11 PM »
   Lake ontario doesn't freeze, it came close in 1977.

I remember that year, it was froze I believe 95% and I believe Seneca Lake did freeze over (both Lakes are something like 600' deep). That dispelled the old joke "You can use water from Seneca Lake as antifreeze for your car because Seneca Lake never freezes." Lake Erie did freeze over and a few guys (???) supposedly walked across it. Ahhhh, the good old days..
One Bucket Mike

SNAGGER

« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I remember that year, it was froze I believe 95% and I believe Seneca Lake did freeze over (both Lakes are something like 600' deep). That dispelled the old joke "You can use water from Seneca Lake as antifreeze for your car because Seneca Lake never freezes." Lake Erie did freeze over and a few guys (???) supposedly walked across it. Ahhhh, the good old days..

My uncles buddy eddie Schott got fined by the DEC in 1977 on Cayuga Lake .... he drove his car on the ice from Ithaca to a bar just south of Taughannock state park, I forget the name of the bar, but while he was in there getting plastered, it sunk to the bottom of the lake. It's 300 foot deep in that area.  ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny

griz104

« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2012, 12:50 PM »
 My uncles buddy eddie Schott got fined by the DEC in 1977 on Cayuga Lake .... he drove his car on the ice from Ithaca to a bar just south of Taughannock state park, I forget the name of the bar, but while he was in there getting plastered, it sunk to the bottom of the lake. It's 300 foot deep in that area.  ;D

That's probably what i get snagged on every year pulling Copper in that area!!LOL

ErnyeJSES

« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:11 PM »
That's quite the story man....hilarious.

;D

Drifter_016

« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:25 PM »
 Took a drive to Lake Ontario today.  40mph winds and temps in the 20's, it was imposible to hold the camera still.., so photo's came out a little blurry

Whoa!!! Surfs up dude!!! Cowabunga!!!   ;D

lehigh vally

« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:56 PM »

:w00t: :w00t:

KingPerch

« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:10 PM »

Could've been a good of fishing with noone around! ;) Work sucks!! >:(--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.