FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any tips for Fly Casting from a kayak ?  (Read 4664 times)

surflizard

Any tips for Fly Casting from a kayak ?
« on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:03 AM »
I really enjoy Fly fishing and fishing from the kayak, I would like to combine the two and I'm looking for any tips or tricks that anyone has. I do a lot of trolling and spincasting from the kayak and I'd like to add flyfishing to the arsenal as well. Any info would be greatly Appreciated, Thanks !

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Any tips for Fly Casting from a kayak ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2011, 05:40 PM »
My one and only, best quality tip is.......

PM Trapper. He's the king of kayak fly fishing.

I have a toon. Best I can tell you is, get a stripping apron. You need to control the line or it'll get tangled everywhere. Trapper has a neat anchor system for his Yak too.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the tip RG, I'll drop Trapper a note also !

P.S. I tried to send him a PM,  but his box is full ??

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:13 AM »
Sometimes ya gotta yell to get his attention ;D

Post this in the NY forum. I'm sure you'll get more answers. I'm taking the 3wt with me to the canal this morning for some gills and maybe even a crappie. Might bring the 5wt too.....just for practice.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

one last cast

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2012, 02:58 PM »
I really enjoy Fly fishing and fishing from the kayak, I would like to combine the two and I'm looking for any tips or tricks that anyone has. I do a lot of trolling and spincasting from the kayak and I'd like to add flyfishing to the arsenal as well. Any info would be greatly Appreciated, Thanks !
Hey surf, last year that's all I used mostly was my fly rods out of the kayak. I have a used all of them from small ponds,lakes and even the Hudson and the Mohawk rivers! It's a blast to use them out of the yak. My suggestion to you would be pack light, small net. That was my downfall the first trip out brought a bigger net in the back of the yak and kept getting caught up. I have family that lives near trapper,tried to meet up with him last year to fish the Oswego river but didn't happen maybe this year. Good luck surf.
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

stripernut

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2012, 05:24 PM »
Most guys find a longer fly rod to be a help (9ft, 9 1/2 ft), keeping the line off the water behind you. My father uses some "Clips" to hold his rod on the kayak, that keeps the rod parallel with the water. It trolls great that way and if he is using a second rod it is out of the way!

one last cast

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2012, 05:47 PM »
Here is my set up for the kayak, nothing fancy but it works for me, the other thing surf whe I'm stripping line there is nothing in the cockpit in front of me so the line is easily taken out if there is a hook up with a fish.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/rorobxb/6-12-11002.jpg
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Thank for the tips guy, Much appreciated ! Salmon season opens Sunday and I will give them a shot !

MoreTroutPls

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2012, 12:04 PM »
Before you start to fish, clear the cockpit and decks of anything that is loose or that could cause a tangle.  Have your net, hook removal tools, and stringer handy before you start to fish.  Same for a camera or tape measure/scale. 

When you hook a fish, fight it on reel, not by stripping line.  If you strip line into the cockpit, it will surely get tangled on something and if the fish runs, the tippet will snap when the tangle gets pulled tight. 

Don't try for super long casts, the stealth of the kayak lets you get closer to overcome lost casting distance because you are sitting down. 

Everyone believes in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.

one last cast

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Hey surf how did you end up? ??? It's been a few months since the posting of this, so just wondering.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.