FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 3 wt fly rod  (Read 11862 times)

slabslayer76

3 wt fly rod
« on: Mar 31, 2012, 10:34 AM »
 i just bought a 3 wt  fly rod , can someone tell me how big of a fish this rod will handle ?  I will be fishing for brown trout in small to medium streams .  The rod is made by wildwater  5ft 6inch's model#  HX3-056-4   wild country series .  i bought this from a friend for $40 and it looks brand new. any info would be appreciated.

oatkasut

Re: 3 wt fly rod
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2012, 12:25 PM »
you got a good deal and your going to love it!I've caught 4-22 inch browns on my 3 weight St. Croix 7 ft. 9 inch rod. I fish the catskill streams around Roscoe, including the Delaware system and the streams in central western New York. Using tippets as small as 6X. Most fish i"ve caught on dry flies but I also throw buggers up to size 8 and streamers with no difficulties.You may have to play a fish a little longer but with the correct skill set you will enjoy it . I do avoid the Lake Ontario tribs  with the 3 wt. instead using a 5 or 7 wt  instead.  Have Fun!

one last cast

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2012, 12:32 PM »
I picked up a cabelas three forks 7'6" 3wt for some small pond and trout streams, and I'm really impressed how well it handles. I've caught some nice 2 to 4 pound largemouths, what a difference from the 5wt. I make my own leaders starting with 8lb down to 4lb then to 2lb for the 3wt, it been a blast with it. Good luck! -olc
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

slabslayer76

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2012, 12:41 PM »
thank you oatkasut and one last cast that's what i wanted to hear .

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2012, 06:58 PM »
I used to have a 4wt it was a lot of fun, i actually took it and fished for skamanias a couple times and landed a couple 5-8lbers... If you know how to play a fish rod size wont matter...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2012, 02:44 AM »
I built a 7' 8" 3wt TFO finesse last year around this time.

It's my favorite rod for medium sized streams. I've managed some sizable bass with no problems. Just make sure the reel has a good drag system.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

MoreTroutPls

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:49 AM »
With light rods and light tippets, big fish can be landed on a very light rod if you play the fish off the reel and don't try to land it by stripping line in and clamping the line to the grip.  You need a reel with a good/light drag that is set below the breaking point of the tippet and the rod.  When in doubt, set the drag very low and palm the reel to add drag.  You should test the drag setting and determine how much bend the rod can handle.  Tie the line to something solid, reel in the slack and pull back on the rod until you think the rod/tippet is at risk of breaking.  Set the drag to slip before that point.  And remember how much the rod was bent when it started to slip and never exceed that bend when you are fighting a fish.

To keep from exceeding the break point during a fight, do not allow the rod to bend into a horseshoe. Fight the fish with the rod at no more than a 45 degree angle, allowing the drag of the reel to give line on surges or power runs.  Do not clamp down on the line with your hand to stop a run, palm the reel but avoid exceeding a safe bend.  The fish will tire, be patient.  In a river, get below the fish to make the fish fight the current as well as the rod.

Also, when you land a fish, don't high stick the rod (point it straight up when the fish is at your feet).  If the fish dives, there is no rod flex to cushion the run and the tip can snap. 

We sometimes fish with 2, 3, and 4 wt rods for schoolie striped bass and catch 20-25" fish. Bigger fish are possible if they are present.  We also use 8-15# leaders, so a light rod will break before the leader snaps if you don't use a good drag and fighting techniques.
Everyone believes in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.

slabslayer76

« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2012, 09:17 AM »
Good info trouts and RG sweet fly rod its got to be rewarding to make your own .

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2012, 04:01 AM »
I've been building my own rods since the 70's. It's great to fish your own and they're way better that off the shelf. There's some savings obviously, but the best part is having it your way ;D

I wrapped up the new 5wt yesterday. A little eye tweaking and it'll be ready for the box. Finishing is the most nerve wracking part. It's all preparation and a leap of faith.

I'll put up some pics as it gets further along.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.