FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 6wt line on a 3-4wt rod?  (Read 3331 times)

therealjt

6wt line on a 3-4wt rod?
« on: Apr 15, 2012, 10:07 PM »
My 5wt took a turn for the worst today... it got caught in the truck and broke center piece. I fly fish for panfish only and have a blast doing it and not looking to break the bank. My father in law had picked up 3 rods out of the trash during a clean up day and 3 were fly rods

one is an older 2 piece 6' 6" eagle claw 3-4wt
one is an older berkly 3 piece 7'9" 5-6 wt
one is an older unknow all markings are gone but looks to be 8' and probably 6-7wt

i did some casting in the yard with the berkly and didn't like the feel
tried out the eagle claw also and it seemed like a cannon with the 6wt line

My question is are there any consequences I may run into with throwing 2-3wt higher line?

hoping this will get me thru the summer as the wife has frozen all my spending to pay more on some bills lol
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: 6wt line on a 3-4wt rod?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2012, 06:13 AM »
You will basically have to deal with sloppy casting at first is about all.. But once you get used to the way the rod loads and unloads with the heavier line the only consequence i can see is issues with roll casting and the line slaming on the water...

On a side note you could probably pick up some line fairly cheap ove seen 3-4 wt line going for 20 bucks or so...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

therealjt

Re: 6wt line on a 3-4wt rod?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2012, 07:11 AM »
I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. It felt fine loading and in loading and will have to see how bad the water smack is. Mostly throw little poppers for panfish ;D
quoted from piker1
"flyfishing is just like eating popcorn , once ya start you can't stop lol ......"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.