FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring time flies  (Read 6080 times)

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Spring time flies
« on: Mar 15, 2006, 04:25 PM »
I won't say all, but a majority of fly fisherman I know don't break out the fly gear until may and it makes me wonder sometimes because I have had a lot of succes fly fishing during the winter and spring.. Yeah the guides ice up sometimes and you have to do some chuckin and duckin but having fished with bait in the spring I have come to realize bright streamers and big nymphs can out produce a nightcrawler or salted minnow any day.. I have seen how deadly a big black woolly bugger can be slowy stripped across the current on the bottom of pool or a streamer.. Anyway don't keep the fly gear stored away til may give em shot in the spring and do a little expeirmenting, Because I know I and others have caught some of our biggest trout on the fly in early spring or had some out best days out there...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Bartman44

Re: Spring time flies
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2006, 04:58 PM »
Agreed. I prefer your big nymph (stonefly) idea dead drifted right onto Mr. brownie's nose.  I can't tell you how many times I cleaned up on the Delaware when the water temp was a crisp 34 degrees.   

If the water comes down a bit a may be there this weekend.  ;)

Fish Monger

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:46 AM »
Everything I read all winter called for Black Buggers. I tied some extra special, long shanks and plenty of lead. We'll see how they do this spring!

lowrider1340

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:33 PM »
I agree on the nymphs.  But  like a bead head prince with a dropper of a copper john.   Small nymphs work good here in Maine in the winter.  Almost open water season here so I am gearing up to get out soon.  Can't wait.
Gut Fish?

Hood

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:39 PM »
BIG olive bugger....if they are following or hitting short put a tiny piece of crawler for scent....also like a hornberg and muddlers....trim the head on the muddlers to give a more streamlin look :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

fisher rich

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2006, 08:13 PM »
Used the big stremer in 47 degree water yesterday and landed 6 nice brownsMickey fin and a black nose dace worked well. Outfished the mepps boys!

PGKris

• Master of the micro leech
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 03:04 AM »
Chronnies thru the ice ;)

Sailing team

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2007, 02:44 PM »
What I'm throwing in early spring.

San Juan

Big stonefly nymph

Flashabck pheasant tail

Is that weighted San Juan done with Red Copper or Plain? Does it just look red due to the micro-chennile?
You did a good job on all those flies Trout! Nice of you to share the info!
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2007, 02:53 PM »
Red copper, but I've seen them done w/ regular, my favorite is this one w/ a bead though.

MTTROUT check your mailbox!
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

trapper2003

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2007, 03:13 PM »
i think if i only had one fly it'd be a muddlerminnow i can fish it as a bait fish a streamer can dead drift it or go unwieghted as a hopper or a caddis fly it's always been and still is the most versital and deadly fly ,plus i have caught everything from bluegills to steelhead on it

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2012, 07:09 AM »
Figured id give it the ole bump arooooo being spring and all....
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.