FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Well, it's a start  (Read 1547 times)

bogtrotter

Well, it's a start
« on: Mar 27, 2021, 01:25 PM »
I fished three branches of the Housatonic today, from about 10 AM to 12:30 PM.

The weather was partly sunny and a bit chilly (45 to 50 degrees) - - at least compared to the upper 60's we had earlier in the week.

On my drive down, I noticed that Cheshire Lake was ice free (except for some slurpy-style slush along the north shore) but Pontoosuc still had surprisingly large sections of (admittedly sketchy looking) ice cover.

First up was the NW Housatonic in Pittsfield, where I fished above and below the dam on Wahconah Street. 

I didn't see fin nor flake of any fish there, but I did get remarkably close to a blue heron that I startled before it flew away as I came down the bank above the dam.

NOTE:  I am trying to find a good fishing equivalent for "hide nor hair," so I'm sponsoring a contest.
           For anyone who comes up with a better alternative than my "fin nor flake" locution (which, I admit, needs work), if I choose his submission, 
           I'll PM him for his address and mail him a cigar.

Next stop was the W Housatonic, also in Pittsfield, on which I fished select spots between Hungerford Street and Clapp Park.

I did a little better along this stretch, landing a decent 11" perch below the Barker Road bridge.

Finally, I drove to Dalton to fish the E Housatonic below the Depot Street dam, where I struck pay dirt: a robust 15" rainbow.

stripernut

Re: Well, it's a start
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2021, 04:24 PM »
Scale nor tail...

Flash nor Splash...

Tap nor Take...

Rise nor Roll...

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2021, 05:48 PM »
Well, I'll concede all of yours are better than my own - - I particularly like "scale nor tail" - - but let's give others a little while to play before I pick a winner.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Scale nor tail.

Well played sir, you beat me to it!

Also enjoyed the report per usual!

REDGIANT

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Clunker nor lunkers
Thrills nor gills
Head bangers nor wall hangers

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2021, 02:53 PM »
So far, all of the submissions have been better than my own initial "neither fin nor flake"  as clever turns of phrase.

At the same, however, they all share a common defect.

I was looking for a fishing equivalent of "neither hide nor hair" - - which is alliteration (i.e., "hide" and "hair" both start with "H").

Instead, you good folks submitted rhyming couplets (e.g., "neither scale nor tale").

So far, neither scale nor tale is "in the lead."

However, if anyone can come up with an actual, fishing appropriate alliterative pairing (like my own "neither fin nor flake" but better, since I grant "flake" is kinda weak), that person will win the prize, a (literal) cigar.

Steve H.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2021, 05:13 PM »
So far, neither scale nor tale is "in the lead."

"Scale nor tale" or "Scale nor tail"?  Could go either way as I see it, but I like "tale" better.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

bogtrotter

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2021, 06:38 AM »
OK, as grand poobah of the felicitous phrase contest, I'm calling it.

Stripernut, you win with "neither scale nor tail."

Just PM me with your snail mail address, and I will mail you a cigar.

bogtrotter

« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Today the Greek church in Pittsfield held their annual pastry sale, so I drove down to pick up my order and do some fishing.

The day was sunny, but chilly (36 degrees when I started fishing around 11 AM, and 40 around the time I finished about 2 PM).

After picking up my pastries ("Gotta get me some baclava"), I drove to the NW Housatonic Street along Wahconah Street, where I caught six dink (6" to 7") perch below the dam - - an improvement over last weekend, when nothing was biting at all.

Next I headed to the W Housatonic and fished below the Greendale Street and Barker Road bridges but didn't have any luck whatsoever - - in contrast to the 11" perch I caught last weekend.

Finally, on the way home, I stopped at my "old reliable" stream at the Greylock Glen in Adams and landed a half dozen (3" to 7") brookies.

Happy Easter everybody!

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2021, 01:27 PM »
Nice work Jim.  Will have to make plans to come fish in May. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.