FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513073 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1800 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Toga, now that I have time, here's my method.

I always start my seeds in 6-packs like you'd buy plants in at the garden center. I use a good quality starter mix level to the top when dry.  Then I thoroughly wet them in. Once the water has soaked through I add the seeds.

Using the eraser end of a pencil, I make a hole in the center of each pod about 1/2" deep. Using tweezers, I put at least 3 seeds in each hole and lightly tamp the starter mix around the hole to cover the seeds.

I put the 6-packs in trays, cover them with clear plastic, and put them under a light in a warm place. Don't touch them again until the sprouts touch the plastic.

Now the work begins with daily watering and temperature control.

Once the second leaves appear, I thin the plants. I leave the healthiest looking alone, and gently pull the others from each pod. Not being one to waste, I transplant the culled sprouts to new 6-packs. They usually survive and do quite well.

Theoretically, I triple my initial planting and end up with enough plants to fill in garden losses and give away to friends.

I move them into the outside green house around mid-April, once the night temps tend to stay above freezing. If it's a cold night, I heat the greenhouse with a 300w light bulb that we call the midnight sun.

I hope this helps, and good luck.  ;D

Very helpful, many thanks fish! Time to start planning the garden in between flags on the hard water

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1801 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:35 AM »
 With the thaw, I thought I'd take a look at the garden. To my surprise, the spinach is still very much green. Hard to believe with the severe cold we had earlier this winter. Now I'm wondering if it'll come back in the spring.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1802 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:05 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

zwiggles

« Reply #1803 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:31 AM »
With the thaw, I thought I'd take a look at the garden. To my surprise, the spinach is still very much green. Hard to believe with the severe cold we had earlier this winter. Now I'm wondering if it'll come back in the spring.

Rg, any tips on growing spinach? We have never been very successful in the past when we have tried.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1804 on: Jan 28, 2018, 02:53 AM »
My beds have a mix with sand, perlite, Black Cow, peat and garden soil. To that I addded sifted compost from the bin. So, it likes rich, well drained soil. It grows like crazy, but I really have to watch the bugs and snails. I had problems with both last year. I think this year the leafy greens are going in the raised trough planter I'll be building. That way I can use it as a hot box to start plants, cover it with row fabric for pest protection and have a later planting well into the cold weather.

Seemed like my spinach was the best in the cooler months. It gets tough in the heat of the summer. So, I see it as a spring and fall crop. My Bride and I love the stuff. Can't get enough.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

zwiggles

« Reply #1805 on: Jan 29, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Thank you sir. I’ll give it a shot in the spring.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1806 on: Jan 29, 2018, 04:19 PM »
I'm no expert for sure. I kind of fly by the seat of my pants.

Still haven't figured out how to grow radishes.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #1807 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09:52 PM »
I'm no expert for sure. I kind of fly by the seat of my pants.

Still haven't figured out how to grow radishes.

Rg

My dad grow radishes he plants from seed..  plants all seeds next to each other no spaceing..  just dumps a whole package in the  little troth he carves out with his finger .. about 6 to 8  inch long..  and 1/4 inch deep and adds a little soil on top .. the key he says is to thin them as they start popping up..  so they don't kill or over crowed  each other when they bloom..   then when thin enough catch them early enough as they grow..  so they don't get too woody tasting the bigger they are they get to pungent tasting and woody ..  get them the size of a nickel to a quater when they grow bigger then a quater toss them he says but choice is yours.. don't over cover them to much with soil  cause too deep they won't grow.. try it next time see if any of this works?

Mac Attack

« Reply #1808 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:43 AM »
I got into trouble back in 74 for growing radishes in college.

Anyway, that's what we thought they were.

;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1809 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Ahhhh yes.....the old tin foil lined closet.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1810 on: Jan 30, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Anybody know what plant this is?

We call it the "Crazy Plant". It shoots out these 2' long spikes with tiny white flowers, but only during the winter.
I've not been able to positively identify it.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #1811 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Anybody know what plant this is?

We call it the "Crazy Plant". It shoots out these 2' long spikes with tiny white flowers, but only during the winter.
I've not been able to positively identify it.

Rg

Sounds like some thing out of jumanji the movie?  lol's ..

zwiggles

« Reply #1812 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Looks like some form of succulent to me. Maybe a variety of a “hens and chickens”? I know ours get spikes similar to what you mentioned.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1813 on: Jan 31, 2018, 02:27 PM »
I’ll ask Donna for you Bob
She is good on stuff like this

Mac Attack

« Reply #1814 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:09 PM »
Donna also says it looks likes hens and chickens Bob.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.