FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: MORE GILLS  (Read 1872 times)

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
MORE GILLS
« on: Jul 18, 2018, 02:35 PM »
got out today for a few hr. on my gill hunt was able to C/R about 25 biggest was about 9in
i tried the no.10 circle hooks and LOST a ton of gills till i learned how to use them.see you
said you can not teach an OLD dog new tricks
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
no photos forgot the camera-i need work on that.

try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: MORE GILLS
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2018, 02:57 PM »
As always, Rat is getting after them! Keep it up!

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2018, 03:28 PM »
Never thought of using circle hooks on gills. Did you have any swallow the hook? Were they hooked right in the corner of the mouth?
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Nice Rat.....
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Were you setting the hook? If you were, then you could of just pulled the hook right out of their mouth. When they bite and start to swim, just pull up slack and apply pressure, they hook them selves as the line tightens. I’d also try a size or two bigger for the hooks, a size 10 may not have enough of a gap to pivot around the corner of the jaw and allow the point to dig in. I use eagle claw lazer hooks in size 8 or 6 for them.

Edit: well I miss read what you said. My bad! Congrats on getting some bull gills and learning a new trick! My favorite way to get them is with a fly rod and popper lately, but the biggest ones where I fish are a bit deep now.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2018, 04:38 PM »
nice job! ya catch em in deep water? just curious as its been hot out. i havent been out much but i figure they are deep by this time. keep on catching!!
done dirt cheap!

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Hey i went out in search for gills myself today found them in 8-12fow drift/trolling with jigs 'n plastics....had one rod on one side of boat and one on other side and was casting a spinner too.....one time had a nice gill on all rods and landed them all...what a blast....only got one pic of a spinner caught gill...caught a 13" bass, 12" perch...9.5" crappie with the 15 gills. No pic of rest....gave them to a regular shore fisherman except for bass and perch (grill time)

take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Never thought of using circle hooks on gills. Did you have any swallow the hook? Were they hooked right in the corner of the mouth?
SOME ONE-here stated he used them and give it a try.one swallow the hook but bigger hook easy to get out
24 others in lips.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Hey i went out in search for gills myself today found them in 8-12fow drift/trolling with jigs 'n plastics....had one rod on one side of boat and one on other side and was casting a spinner too.....one time had a nice gill on all rods and landed them all...what a blast....only got one pic of a spinner caught gill...caught a 13" bass, 12" perch...9.5" crappie with the 15 gills. No pic of rest....gave them to a regular shore fisherman except for bass and perch (grill time)

i got some of my biggest pannies on spinners
RAT.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2018, 07:23 AM »
Were you setting the hook? If you were, then you could of just pulled the hook right out of their mouth. When they bite and start to swim, just pull up slack and apply pressure, they hook them selves as the line tightens. I’d also try a size or two bigger for the hooks, a size 10 may not have enough of a gap to pivot around the corner of the jaw and allow the point to dig in. I use eagle claw lazer hooks in size 8 or 6 for them.

Edit: well I miss read what you said. My bad! Congrats on getting some bull gills and learning a new trick! My favorite way to get them is with a fly rod and popper lately, but the biggest ones where I fish are a bit deep now.
YOUR right about NOT SETTING hook,lost a lot of them[a lot more then i caught]
RAT

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2018, 03:48 PM »
SOME ONE-here stated he used them and give it a try.one swallow the hook but bigger hook easy to get out
24 others in lips.

Very cool, I'll have to give it a try.

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.