FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake George Fish  (Read 8346 times)

jacksgp

Lake George Fish
« on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:52 PM »
Lake George Fishermen....

I know what fish are found in Lake George BUT I would like to hear from anybody that caught fish that are not supposed to be there. I've heard of scuba divers seeing schools of crappies and also have heard of "walleyes" being caught!

I have no way of verifying any of this. Please no BS ers....honor system in play.

Thanks.....

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
Re: Lake George Fish
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:00 PM »
ive seen a brooktrout caought and a rainbow caought out of there. ive heard of crappys being in there but my 15 years of fishing the lake and ive never seen one! i have a buddy who also got a 3 pound brown out of a small trickle of a brook on the south end.  i kinda wish they would stock browns instead of salmon. i think browns would survive better.

smokey

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:05 PM »
I have a friend that caught a nice rainbow near Paulist Fathers a couple years ago. It makes sense for rainbows, browns, and brookies to show up every now and then, since you can find at least one of the three in pretty much every tiny tributary on the lake. You don't see them often though. They probably become lunch very quickly as soon as they get into the big water.

And my friend's sister's ex-boyfriend's cousin's dog's mother's former owner said they knew someone who caught a walleye in Lake George one time.

greensider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:13 PM »
acording  to the lake george fishing map crappies are supposed to be there try finding water that does not have them

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:21 AM »
yea my dad caought the brooky by hen and chickens island jigging in 120 feet of water!  i wish i had a pic on my comp cause it was a decent brooky. maybe 14 inches or so. ive never heard of anyone catching browns in the lake tho.

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:43 AM »
ive seen a brooktrout caought and a rainbow caought out of there. ive heard of crappys being in there but my 15 years of fishing the lake and ive never seen one! i have a buddy who also got a 3 pound brown out of a small trickle of a brook on the south end.  i kinda wish they would stock browns instead of salmon. i think browns would survive better.

Would agree with you J regarding browns. I would think they'd do very well in LG especially with all the smelt. The fish I'm holding in my avatar is an 11 lb Brown that came out of one of our smelt based reservoirs that also has lakers and LLS. They get big pretty quickly. Perhaps there's some biological reason why they wouldn't thrive in LG?

MK

SSmokinn SS

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I have been scuba diving in lake george...never seen the crappie but im sure they are in there. Rainbows are in there as well as listed on the DEC site.

Also, it wouldnt surprise me if Gar, bowfin and walleye were in there as well seeing as Lake george runs into champlain

smokey

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:16 AM »
There are definitely longnose gar in there. A few years ago, the Post Star printed a picture in their "sightings" section of one in Harris Bay.

combsey going to catchem

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Alot of crappies in there.  I just won't take you there Jeremy cause you would never leave the area lol.    Maybe after ice out ill show you.     

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2013, 03:05 PM »
yea i would love to see one! remeber the crappy i got out of raquete? suprised the hell out of me. it wouldent suprise me if someone took fish from the falls on the lachute and tossed them into lg. it would be just about impossible for them to get up those big falls naturally!

CAPTJJ

« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Here's a rainbow trout parr from a small LG tributary, it wasn't stocked:

There is no reason to believe browns would do any better than landlocks; look at Brant Lake. In LG it will be tough for anything stocked to compete with all those wild(not stocked) lakers.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2013, 01:24 PM »
yea lg lakers will eat anything! there must be 1000s and 1000s of lakers just in the south basin.  hey jj have you ever caught a salmon trolling bottom for lakers?

CAPTJJ

« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Don't recall getting salmon right on the bottom, suspended around 10 feet at least; deepest was caught 140' down, a couple at 120'. One fall I got a bunch of landlocks at 100 feet into October; put the probe down and read 60F from the top to 95', it was a very warm Oct. that year.

matthewwood25

« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:11 PM »
im going up camping on memorial day weekend any tips for trolling for the lakers and salmon I have down riggers and planer boards depth speed and lures any tips would be appreciated I will be out and around dome island fished lake george alot in the winter when it freezes never in the summer.

bluemountainlaker

• just one more cast!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:25 AM »
heres another small bow from a brook on the east side of the lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.