FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15688 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #105 on: Apr 23, 2021, 04:24 AM »
Ours have moved into the new house and are defending it very well this year. I definitely think the Peterson style box has made a difference. The sparrows just don’t like it and the bluebirds are very happy about that.

We’re still plagued by the starlings trying to get at the mealworms in the bluebird feeder. But, I’ll be taking that down in a few weeks when the bug population is more accessible to the bluebirds. There’s only one pair around now. Our nesting pair has claimed the territory and run the others out of town.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #106 on: Apr 23, 2021, 05:57 AM »
We have a pair checking out the house in the back yard. Also there is a Chickadee also going in and out of it. No nesting material in in yet.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #107 on: Apr 23, 2021, 06:26 AM »
We’ve had chickadees in our houses before. One pair was using a wren box till the wrens kicked them out. I burned all the wren houses after figuring out they were responsible for destroying one of the bluebird clutches. Nasty little birds those house wrens.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #108 on: Apr 24, 2021, 03:32 PM »
I almost built some some wren houses this winter until learned more about them. Cute, but.....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #109 on: Apr 24, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Chickadees like some wood chips in there house.,   ;) ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #110 on: Apr 24, 2021, 03:59 PM »
Wrens will fill a house up just so other birds don’t use it..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #111 on: Apr 24, 2021, 04:15 PM »
Chickadees like some wood chips in there house.,   ;) ;).

I might be able to fins some wood chips around here ;)

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #112 on: Apr 25, 2021, 12:48 PM »
Not bluebirds but took my wind chimes down the other day because of the wind... This was on the back side of the top..

Skifisher

« Reply #113 on: Apr 25, 2021, 12:55 PM »
We’ve had chickadees in our houses before. One pair was using a wren box till the wrens kicked them out. I burned all the wren houses after figuring out they were responsible for destroying one of the bluebird clutches. Nasty little birds those house wrens.

Rg

Are wrens the same species as sparrows? My neighbor has a chicken coop, and the population of sparrows has exploded! Any suggestions as to how to get rid of them?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #114 on: Apr 25, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Are wrens the same species as sparrows? My neighbor has a chicken coop, and the population of sparrows has exploded! Any suggestions as to how to get rid of them?

No but sparrows will kill other nesting birds..  Glad I live in am higher elevation where they dont live.. ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #115 on: Apr 25, 2021, 02:11 PM »
Not bluebirds but took my wind chimes down the other day because of the wind... This was on the back side of the top..

Someone thought it was home.

English sparrows can be trapped and disposed of. They’re an invasive.  Check out sparrow traps.

Rg

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #116 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:13 AM »

If you can, They make for good hunting practice with a pellet or BB gun. Set up a sniper's hide and have fun. They are not a protected species.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #117 on: Apr 26, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Our male bluebird is becoming extremely territorial. Pretty sure they have eggs in the nest already.We’ve seen him dive on squirrels, chase starlings from the bluebird  feeder and yesterday a sparrow was trying to take a bath in the birdbath and he came out of nowhere to chase it away.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Our male bluebird is becoming extremely territorial. Pretty sure they have eggs in the nest already.We’ve seen him dive on squirrels, chase starlings from the bluebird  feeder and yesterday a sparrow was trying to take a bath in the birdbath and he came out of nowhere to chase it away.

Rg

I stopped at my son's last night to drop off some homemade chowder and have a beer on his deck and his bluebirds rule his yard. He's still putting out meal worms in the feeder and if any other birds come anywhere near the feeder he comes out of nowhere and pounces on the them. Fun show to watch.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2021, 05:59 AM »
Bart, great pictures. Good timing on the middle one....h2l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.