FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513779 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2835 on: May 07, 2019, 06:24 AM »
Had that problem with Passion flowers. They were beautiful, but the darned things spread all over the place.  I'll look into pachysandra.

Thanks.
Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2836 on: May 08, 2019, 04:19 AM »
Potatoes are poking through both in the bags and in the garden. I transplanted the lone zucchini plant . It drooped pretty bad the first day, but bounced right back. Had fresh asparagus and radishes in my salad for lunch yesterday. Shut off the heat source in the trough planter to start hardening off the seedlings in there.

I'm going to build 3 planters for the West side of the house. A big one for the center position with an 8' tall trellis  that I hope will sustain a couple moon flower plants. The other two will also have tall trellises where I'm going to try  a couple of Cardinal Climbers. I haven't designed the trellises as yet but, I figure they'll need to be substantial.

All 5 of my clematis are growing well. I waited till I saw new growth and then pruned off all the dead vines from the towers. They should be pretty spectacular this year. 4 new hostas I planted on the West side are up and look to be thriving. One apparently didn't make it. I've been browsing the annual selection at Lowes and making my list for Mama's  flower boxes and gardens. I planted the English ivy prunings that I kept last fall. They were well rooted after a winter indoors. I've taken cuttings and wintered them over  for replant for 4 years now.

I like this time of year!!!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #2837 on: May 08, 2019, 08:40 PM »
When I was over at the other place turkey hunting the first of the week the asparagus was just  starting to poke above ground. They usually are picking before May 1st. It looks like I may have lost my red bud over the winter but maybe not as every thing is late this year.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2838 on: May 09, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Bob it's hard to believe the growing season is so different from there to here. 145 miles..   But I'm 1274 feet above sea level..   :P.   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #2839 on: May 09, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Bob it's hard to believe the growing season is so different from there to here. 145 miles..   But I'm 1274 feet above sea level..   :P.
It's huge the difference between here and "town".  Everything's in full bloom in the valley and just getting started up here.  The airport in town is 662 ft., our house sits on the 1600 ft. contour just 5 miles away.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2840 on: May 09, 2019, 04:40 PM »
I don't know where I am above sea level, but Lake Ontario is our friend and foe. It keeps us warm and cold. We're kind of temperate compared to you Dom. You get some real extremes that we don't because of the lake.

Everything here is in bloom. Lilacs, tulip trees, forsythia and on and on.

This morning I planted moon flowers and cardinal climbers in a spot of the garden. I also started some in the planter trough. Spinach is ready to harvest in the trough and the seedlings are nearing transplant. This weekend I'll be putting in lots of flowers.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2841 on: May 09, 2019, 05:40 PM »
1/2 $ size already..  ;D
Love them green houses..     8)

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2842 on: May 09, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Hey....it works ! You're a lucky guy and you'll have tomatoes way before me.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2843 on: May 13, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Got my Bride's flower boxes and gardens planted on Saturday. Harvested some spinach from the trough planter yesterday. Everything in there is doing well. Tomatoes, peppers, cukes and pickles are all on schedule for transplant  the 3rd or 4 the week of this month.

Asparagus is popping up all over the bed. I'll have to pick some later today.

Just wish the sun would come out .

Rg

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #2844 on: May 13, 2019, 06:31 AM »
Tilled my garden last Wednesday, hasn't stopped raining since... maybe this weekend will do some planting?
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2845 on: May 13, 2019, 03:50 PM »

I'm all set to build my beds, but this weather is just plain horrible..... I couldn't even work today because the concrete was too cold to lay tile.  :'(

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2846 on: May 14, 2019, 03:29 AM »
Used to be that I was out all day in this crap fixing parking lot lights and signs. Sure don't miss that.

On the other hand, all the flower gardens are doing great, my garlic is 18" tall and the potatoes are almost ready for some more mulch.

Last night we had home made egg noodles with a cheddar cheese white sauce, bay scallops and fresh picked asparagus from our garden. I'll never buy asparagus again.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2847 on: May 14, 2019, 05:30 AM »
Im on year 2 with my asperagus bed picking a few here and there but won't be able to truely harvest till next year I'm thinking.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2848 on: May 14, 2019, 05:44 AM »
It's ok to harvest a few meals the second year. But, let it go really wild this summer and don't cut it back till spring. I haven't seen any of the green varieties as yet, but the Jersey Giant purple is doing really well. I highly recommend this type. Easy to grow with  huge spears that are sweet and really tender. As good raw in a salad as cooked. Especially good on the grill.

If my green doesn't come up I'll be planting a few more of the purple crowns.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2849 on: May 15, 2019, 03:34 PM »
All my asparagus is poking through now. I should have known better than to doubt it.

Got the last of Mama's flowers planted today. Tested out the new JD E-140 on what lawns I could mow without getting stuck. Really nice tractor/ mower. Smooth, quiet, powerful and comfortable. The hydrostatic drive is really nice. 6" wider cut seems way more than I expected.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.