FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: biggest gill  (Read 58979 times)

FishDeepCreek

• Happiness Is A Jumbo Panfish!
Re: biggest gill
« Reply #60 on: Sep 21, 2004, 09:35 PM »
I found a pic, of an 11 incher Gill', looking back in my photos there were more 11 inchers than I thought. I cant recall what my biggest gill is now (ive hooked a bunch of porko gillsin my time, Ive lost track!) This one was caught in 2002. It is a male bluegill, with some pretty coloration. Just to note, notice the gap in between my hands. Also i have big hands (im 6 2 in height!). I measured him b4 I released it. Caught him one of my jigs I make, under a boat dock. There always fun to catch no matter what the size is in my opinion. I especially like to catch em during ice season, you can always tell when its a gill by that circle swimming in the ice hole.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #61 on: Sep 21, 2004, 10:13 PM »
That is one awesome gill.  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #62 on: Sep 21, 2004, 11:25 PM »
Good idea Mackdaddy, next time you guys catch them, put them up against a tape and/or scale.  That would also help you if or when you submit them to the state for a new C&R record.  You should go for it.

By the way, from the pic that FDC shows, that 3 pound  7 ounce gill looks to be about 9" or 10" tall or so.  I wonder what the girth was?  Anyone know a good formula for estimating the weights of bluegills? 

FDC, wow, that fish is immense!  We gotta git one o' them this winter thru the ice, LOL!

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #63 on: Sep 27, 2004, 01:33 PM »
I got him today YEAAAAAAA. 11 3/4 inches    12 1/2 inches in circumferance. I didnt have scales so i guesstimated him at 1 3/4 lbs

Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

Jigwiggler

« Reply #64 on: Sep 27, 2004, 03:03 PM »
Whoooaa!  :o Bobberstop that is a monster gill!!!   :o 11 3/4" with a spawned off tail to boot!  Nice one! :thumbup_smilie:
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Jigwiggler

« Reply #65 on: Sep 27, 2004, 03:08 PM »
:o Holy Crap!!! Did I see a big gill yesterday!! :o  My son and I were visiting some friends and this little old lady I know pulls up and asks if we want to see some fish.  Betty, who is about 70 years old, 4'10" and 90lbs. opens her trunk and then her cooler.  After pushing aside several nice bass and 12-14" perch she pulls out this bluegill and my jaw dropped!  I measured it at 12" long, 7 7/8" deep and over 2" thick!  I wish I had a scale to weigh it on because it was big.  I had just used up the film in my camera taking some pictures of turkeys so I asked her to please get a picture before she filleted it.  If she does I will post it.

Unfortunately, she didn't take a pic before she filleted and ate that monster.  I gave her heck and asked her to take a pic if she catches any more monsters like that from the pond that she won't tell me the location of. ::)  Maybe a few pounds of walleye fillets will convince her to spill the beans. ;) Or at least let me tag along, blindfolded of course. ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #66 on: Sep 27, 2004, 04:29 PM »
That is a big bull. What did you catch it on? That would be about an average gill at Jerry Creek reservoir.

Tyler

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #67 on: Sep 27, 2004, 05:24 PM »
I caught it on a baby nitecrawler 5 ft. down in 20 ft. of water.
Bobberstop

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com [url=http://www.myhuntingforum.com

FishDeepCreek

« Reply #68 on: Sep 27, 2004, 06:31 PM »
That fish is technically not a Bluegill, it appears to be a Redear Sunfish.. AKA shellcracker, but is a dandy fishnone the less! I bet it put up a tussle! Bluegills have a solid back dot on the gill plate cover, the one in your pic has the added red spot to the side. Shellcracker are some of the biggest sunfish, that one shows it!

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #69 on: Sep 27, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Hmm. I'm not sure about the redear sunfish thing. That does look like a very strange bluegill though. I know we have no redear sunfish here in colorado, though.

bobberstop

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #70 on: Sep 27, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Its definitly a bluegill cause we dont have shellcrackers in indiana
Bobberstop

FishDeepCreek

« Reply #71 on: Sep 27, 2004, 09:01 PM »
Actually, Indiana does have them, take alook at Indianas Department Of Natural resources pages, under fish Idenfication :

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishng/fhident.htm 

Red Ears are prettywide spread throughout the USA, including the Midwest, and Western USA.  A Bluegill has a solid black dot , on the gill plate (called opercle). A redear has a red dot on the edge,usally with white with it too. A pumkinseed also has this, but has wavy lines on its cheek. Green Sunfish has these too, but there easy to tell because they have a mouth that resembles a bass, and are greenish with vibrant blue waves on the face.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #72 on: Sep 27, 2004, 10:19 PM »
FishDeepCreek makes a convincing case. I agree with him in the fact that it is a redear sunfish. But it still is a nice fish.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #73 on: Sep 29, 2004, 07:40 AM »
Here's some info and pics for clarification.  Source:  Field and Stream "Fish of the Week"
redear:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/fishing/article/0,13199,216687,00.html
bluegill: http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/fishing/article/0,13199,456217,00.html

REDEAR SUNFISH -- Lepomis microlophus

Other names: shellcracker, stumpknocker, yellow bream, bream.

The redear sunfish is a popular sport fish because it fights hard on light tackle, reaches a relatively large size for a sunfish, and can be caught in large numbers. Like other members of the Centrarchidae family of sunfish, it is an excellent panfish, with white, flaky meat.

Identification. Light golden-green above, the redear sunfish is roundish and laterally compressed; adults have dusky gray spots on the side, whereas juveniles have bars. It is white to yellow on the belly, with mostly clear fins, and the breeding male is brassy gold with dusky pelvic fins. The redear sunfish has a fairly pointed snout and a small mouth, with blunted molaform teeth that make shell cracking possible. It has connected dorsal fins and long, pointed pectoral fins that extend far beyond the eye when bent forward; the latter distinguish it from both the longear and redbreast sunfish, which have short, roundish pectoral fins. The ear flap is also much shorter than in the other two species and is black, with a bright red or orange spot or a light margin at the edge.

It can also be distinguished from the pumpkinseed sunfish by its gill-cover flap, which is relatively flexible and can be bent at least to right angles, whereas the flap on the pumpkinseed is rigid. The redear sunfish is somewhat less compressed than the bluegill, which contrasts with the redear sunfish by having an entirely black ear flap without any spot or light edge.

Size/Age. The redear sunfish can become rather large, reaching weights over 4 1/2 pounds, though it averages under half a pound and about 9 inches. The all-tackle world record is a 5-pound 3-ounce fish taken in California in 1994. It can live up to 8 years.

Distribution. Native to North America, redear sunfish are found from about the Savannah River in South Carolina to the Nueces River in Texas north toward the Mississippi River basin to southern Indiana and Illinois, with some populations in western states. They have been introduced to waters in Africa and Latin America.

Habitat. Redear sunfish inhabit ponds, swamps, lakes, and vegetated pools of small to medium rivers; they prefer warm, clear, and quiet waters.

Spawning. Some redear sunfish are able to spawn when they are only 5 inches long and 1 year old, though most do so after they are 2 or older. Spawning occurs when waters reach 70 degrees, which may be as early as March in Florida, and extends through early fall. Males build and guard shallow circular nests, which hold tens of thousands of eggs; nests are often built in colonies near vegetation, in water of 2- to 8-foot depths.

Food. Opportunistic bottom feeders, redear sunfish forage mostly during the day on aquatic snails, which gives them their common name "shellcracker." They also feed on midge larvae, amphipods, mayfly and dragonfly nymphs, clams, fish eggs, and crayfish.

Angling. Redear sunfish are taken with standard panfishing methods.

Bluegill:

BLUEGILL Lepomis macrochirus.
Other names: bream, brim, sun perch, blue perch, blue sunfish, copperbelly, blue bream, copperhead bream, red-breasted bream, bluegill sunfish, roach.
At times easily caught by novice and experienced anglers alike, bluegills are one of the most popular panfish species in North America because of their vast distribution, spunky fight, and excellent eating. Commonly referred to as "bream," bluegills are the most widely distributed panfish, and are found with, or in similar places as, such companion and related species as the redbreasted sunfish, green sunfish, pumpkinseed, shellcracker, and longeared sunfish, all of which are similar in configuration but different in appearance.

Despite their abundance and popularity, bluegills are not heavily targeted in some waters, and thus are underutilized. Bluegills are so prolific that their populations can grow beyond the carrying capacity of the water, and as a result many become stunted; these stunted fish are regarded as pests and waters containing them often need to be drained and restocked. There are three subspecies of bluegill in existence, though stocking has mixed populations and subspecies.

Identification. The bluegill has a significantly compressed, oval-shaped or roundish body, a small mouth, and a small head, qualities which are typical of members of the sunfish family. The pectoral fins are pointed.

Its coloring varies greatly from lake to lake, ranging from olive, dark blue, or bluish-purple to dappled yellow and green on the sides, with an overall blue cast; some fish, particularly those found in quarry holes, may actually be clear and colorless. There are 6 to 8 vertical bars ordinarily on the sides, which may or may not be prominent. The gill cover extends to create a wide black flap, faint in color on the young, which is not surrounded by a lighter border as in other sunfishes. Dark blue streaks are found on the lower cheeks between the chin and gill covers, and often there is a dark mark at the bottom of the anal fin. The breeding male is more vividly colored with a blue head and back, bright orange breast and belly, and black pelvic fins.

Size/Age. The size ranges from 4 to 12 inches in length, averaging 8 inches and reaching a maximum length of 16 1/4 inches. Bluegills are estimated to live for 10 years. The largest bluegill ever caught was a 4-pound 12-ounce specimen taken in 1950. The growth of the bluegill varies so much that size and age are difficult to relate.

Distribution. Native to approximately the eastern half of the United States, the bluegill’s range extends southward from the St. Lawrence River through the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River basin, eastward from New York to Minnesota and draining south from Cape Fear River in Virginia to the Rio Grande in Texas, including states as far east as Florida and as far west as New Mexico. Also found in a small portion of northeastern Mexico, the bluegill has been widely introduced elsewhere in North America as well as into Europe, South Africa, Asia, South America, and Oceania.

Habitat. Although mainly lake fish, bluegills are found in sluggish streams and rivers, vegetated lakes and ponds, swamps, and pools of creeks. They prefer quiet waters and may be found in very shallow water, though during summer when the surface temperature is warm, they may go as deep as 30 or more feet. They are found in the same habitat as their larger relative, the largemouth bass.

Life History/Behavior. The age of sexual maturity varies with environment and locale, though most bluegills reach spawning age at 2 or 3 years old. Spawning takes place between April and September, starting when water temperatures are around 70 degrees F.

The males build shallow, round nests in water up to 6 feet deep over sandy or muddy bottoms. These nests occur in colonies of up to 500 along the shoreline, densely concentrated and easily spotted by anglers. Females may lay anywhere from 2,000 to 63,000 eggs, which hatch 30 to 35 hours after fertilization. It is common for fish to spawn many times, with a particular fish laying eggs in several nests and a single nest containing eggs from more than one female. Males guard the eggs throughout the incubation period and stay once they have hatched to protect the young. At lengths of 1/4- to 1/3-inch long, the young leave the nests for deeper waters. Bluegills travel in small schools, usually being of the same or similar size.

Food and Feeding Habits. A variety of small organisms serve as food for bluegills, including insects, crayfish, fish eggs, small minnows, snails, worms, and sometimes even plant material. The young feed mostly on crustaceans, insects, and worms. They will feed at different depths depending on temperature, with some food obtained on the bottom as well as on the surface. Active mostly at dusk and dawn, the larger bluegills move inshore in the morning and evening to feed, staying in deeper water during the day.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2005, 12:59 PM »
To start off, I've seen Gills on a tape from Colorado that measure 14 1/2", it was a monster. I fully believe they get that big.
That fish that bobberstop caught is a shellcracker, not a bluegill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.