FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly line choices what’s recommended  (Read 2282 times)

myemmy

Fly line choices what’s recommended
« on: Jul 12, 2018, 03:57 PM »
A little help on choosing fly line, what’s reasonable, match it to rods? Thinking about trying the sport.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fly line choices what’s recommended
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2018, 04:30 PM »
That's like asking a chef what seasoning to use on the chicken.

Hard to beat a Cortland 444 for the price. For the most part, all I use.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2018, 04:04 AM »
any decent brand  floating line  in wt forward in the  proper wt for your rod will do well  Cortland 444 is a excellent choice and  affordable line ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

myemmy

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2018, 06:38 AM »
Thanks for info any advice on flies for the the northeast ??

trapper2000

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2018, 09:21 AM »
basic stone fly nymphs, pheasant tail, prince nymphs are a good start .for drys  adams  cahills and olives for may flies don't forget  some elk hair caddis, streamers   wolly buggers and muddlers are my favorites .....

seamonkey84

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:05 PM »
I’d keep it fairly simple to start. For dries get some elk hair Caddis, parachute adams, griffiths gnat, and foam hoppers. For nymphs pheasant tail, some sort of Caddis, zebra midge, and stone fly. Those will cover most days in streams and rivers for trout, Then some streamers of your choice. Then wooly buggers in all sizes and colors will catch trout and everything else that swims lol. I use baby buggers in size 12-16 as nymphs and wet flies.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

trapper2000

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:47 PM »
ahhhhhhhhh  think that's about what I said  :rotflol:

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:48 PM »
any decent brand  floating line  in wt forward in the  proper wt for your rod will do well  Cortland 444 is a excellent choice and  affordable line ....

That's exactly what I was thinking.

myemmy, I highly recommend joining the local TU chapter, a wealth of information and lots of hands-on instruction also.
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2018, 02:43 PM »
A great way to get your fly wet ( I like to wade  ;D) is a few foam spiders and a bluegill pond. As said...keep it simple till you get some casts under your belt.

Mostly, have fun.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2018, 08:52 AM »
that's true and if you don't tie flies you can always buy a package of foam spiders  cheap  few  small poppers too and  go have a ball on sunfish and bluegills

myemmy

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Thanks for all the info gathering a few rods reels and flies, need to get leaders and tippets.

trapper2000

« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2018, 09:45 AM »
hit RG up for one of his leaders ...they are like willy wonka gobstoppers  they last forever ..... when you get tippet make sure it hasn't been sitting around  for years  ,it will dry rot

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2018, 09:49 AM »
You just beat me to it Trapper ;D

PM me your address. I'll send you a couple of my Furled Leaders. Then you only need to buy tippet. I seldom use anything other than 3-4-5x for flies, crappie, bass.

Carp are a different story.

I'd suggest starting with a 5wt, 8 to 9'  in an IM-6 blank. Pretty forgiving for the novice caster. Higher modulous blanks are stiffer, more difficult to control and can be pretty fragile.

Take a look at the Okuma SLV reels. Decent reel for the money with an "OK" drag. One thing for sure, they're fairly bomb proof.

Rg

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Since it isn’t the best time of year to be fishing for trout in most places, forget what I said earlier except the buggers. I will second the idea of panfish flies. Sunfish are a complete blast on a fly rod, and you’ll likely get a few small bass too.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

trapper2000

« Reply #14 on: Jul 15, 2018, 03:54 PM »
I love trout fishing in the summer  lower waters no competition  look for  the cold  spots ...  terrestrials , big may flies , and foam bees ....frog patterns too!!!! and you can wade in cut offs   :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.