FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: perch stringer mount  (Read 11725 times)

Dr. IceGeek

perch stringer mount
« on: Aug 29, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Here's the latest taxidermy work to come out of my basement.  I did these skin mount perch for a friend of mine's 50th birthday.  He helped me through some rough times and taught me the finer points of perch fishing so I thought that I would repay him with a stringer mount of perch for his cottage. The perch range in size from 11 to 13 inches in length and there are a couple pics of some up close detail as well as the full mount. Any constructive criticism is always appreciated.

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
Re: perch stringer mount
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2005, 08:40 PM »
thats really kool, nice job
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:37 PM »
that is awesome, really cool, wish I could do something like that, You have a great talent there. WTG  ;D
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2005, 09:54 PM »
Great job.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Ken A.

Mikepike

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2005, 10:24 PM »
Yeah, amazing detail. I wish i could do it. Awesome job on them  :)

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2005, 03:06 AM »
Those look awesome, are you sure this is just a basement hobby????

How much time and money do you put into something like that?

Deposit

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2005, 04:40 AM »
Your hired!!! Nice job!

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2005, 07:13 AM »
crappie66,
   time is the major factor...because I don't work at this stuff consistently and only do it when I have an hour free here or there it does take some time.  I would guess I have maybe 30 hours into the thing by the time I skin all the fish, carve the foam bodies and decide upon the pose I want for each fish, then mount them up and let them dry.  The airbrushing is also a bit time consuming.  As far as money goes....for actual materials there is very little.  The paint I use is about 3 dollars per ounce, but there is probably less than an ounce of paint on all 4 fish combined.  Gloss is expensive and the eyes are about 4 bucks per pair.  Other than that the only factor is the amount of time you feel like putting into the thing.  Probably a good taxidermist could do the same thing in a fraction of the time, but for me it's just a hobby that keeps me sane when I've had a bad day or need to get away from it all for a few minutes

flipstick

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2005, 07:51 AM »
The mount looks amazing.  Most of the full time taxidermists in my area wouldn't be able to do that nice of a job.

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2005, 08:41 AM »
Dr. IceGeek, another amazing job.  I really like the rusty stringer and old wood.  Sometimes those kind of details, that don't involve the actual subject, are the best part and really make a good mount a great one.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

StriperMaineac

« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:04 AM »
AWESOME job!

itsmedick

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2005, 09:12 AM »
i cant find anything to criticize there.  as good a mount as ive ever seen.

Pikeguy

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2005, 10:01 AM »
lOOKIN GREAT DOC. I agree with flipstick when he says his local taxidermists don't do that well. Most of them really don't. I guess that's the difference between someone making a living at it , and someone who pours their heart and soul into it (although I think you could make a living at it.). Keep up the good work and show us all the new "basement projects"  ;D :bowdown:

Hood

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2005, 11:06 AM »
doc- those are fabulous mounts, they look so real as if they just came out of the water, many taxidermists try and get too fancy with the colors and they come out unnaturally bright and sometimes flourescent, skin mounting allows you to stick to the task as opposed to a mold where its all paint, excellent work and keep us posted on your future mounts!
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

carpcatcher

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2005, 01:52 PM »
The only thing I wish is some day I can help you through some rough times. (not that I want you to have any rough times). They look very realistic, GREAT JOB
        Jim
Love 2 fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.