FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NSR fishing.  (Read 3127 times)

ridndirty

NSR fishing.
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:01 PM »
My son wants to go fish the river tomorrow night, and I want to pick some brains for different methods, lures etc. When I was a kid we would throw out little Len Thompsons and have a blast with the Goldeye. Is this still a good way for him to start, or are there better options? Ive heard of, but never seen Walleye come out of there. It would be cool for him to catch one of those toothy critters. BTW, we'll be fishing west of Devon. Thanks in advance.

The Anvil

• MFF Mod Team
  • "Gone Fishing"
Re: NSR fishing.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:05 AM »
Hey Dirty,

Honestly I have been fishing the NSR around the Devon area for years and can say that I sure have caught my fair share of Goldeye over the years, even caught a few myself tossing out small Lt's. Me personally I have not caught one in the past few years on anything other than bait though.

If you are looking to get into some action start of with what you know best, and toss a few spoons out, but be sure to bring down a tub or two of Dew Worms as this is in my opinion is a sure bet method to be catching these interesting fish, among the many other species that inhabit the NSR.

Pesonal Goldeye Lure: Try using a pickerel rig or just tie on two hooks with the bottom one being around 18-22 inches above the sinker weight. I usually just tie on my two hooks, pinch the barbs bait em with half a worm per hook, set it and wait for the fight.

For the Walter's of the NSR. Most of my luck has come from using a Lindy Rig with a minnow, or even using a jack fish rig, more heavy duty than pickerel rig.

I hope this helps. I know that if you bring worms you will catch fish.

Cheers,

Anvil

~Gone Fishing~

ridndirty

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Thanks Anvil, hope to go drown a few worms tomorrow night.

The Anvil

• MFF Mod Team
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:19 PM »
How did things go?

~Gone Fishing~

ridndirty

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Sorry for the slow response, didnt happen, works getting in the way.

ryanlookingforperch

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2010, 09:54 PM »
I have been HAMMERING sturgeon, west of the city....with OLD ROTTING DEAD LEECHES...

I had my first sturgeon last year, as I was giving up...and decided to use some old bait, before I threw it out....

WHAM!!

I have now caught a bunch, and they have all been on OLD OLD leeches, I buy and let rot in my fridge til they start to breakdown and get that white film in the water...

Minnows have caught me Goldeye...for years on the NSR...never had much luck for pike or walleye.

Cheers!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.