FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How do you keep jigs your looking like new?  (Read 5704 times)

Mackdaddy21

Re: How do you keep jigs your looking like new?
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2004, 04:43 PM »
I have heard of taking metal lures like spinnerbaits, spinners, buzzbaits, and spoons and cycling them through the dishwasher with just a very small amount of soap. Then take them out without drying them so the heat doesn't warp them. You would have to remember to take off the skirts on your spinnerbaits and buzzbaits first. I have yet to try this with my lures though. Maybe I should take one of my old spinnerbaits that has a broken hook and just test it first.

Tyler

Cider

« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2004, 06:16 PM »
Oxidation is your worst enemy if you are still using lead jigs.  Some of us are losing the right to use lead though.  But that is another topic.

Back to oxidation... lead and oxygen don't get along!  Store your jigs in airtight containers.  Maybe try vacuum sealing them.  Paint and plenty of clear laquer should help make a protective coating/barrier between the lead and the atmosphere too.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2004, 08:35 PM »
Cider,

Recently, a bunch of my splitshot that I stored in an old medicine bottle got really whitish on the outside. The whiteish coat would wear off when I fished with them. But their was nothing in the bottle when I put them in, it was completely clean. But they had a white coating and looked mottled after about a week in the bottle. Could this be the oxidation you are speaking of, or does oxidation cause rust - like buildup?

Tyler

Jigwiggler

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2004, 06:43 AM »
Mack- yes that is oxidation.  The oxidation of lead will be grayish white in appearance, the oxidation of iron (rust) appears an orangish red color.  Color depends on the mineral oxidizing, copper turns green, ever see that on an old penny or the Statue of Liberty?
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Cider

« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2004, 11:07 AM »
JW nailed it for you Mack!  Rust is the result of oxidation too.  Just looks different on steel or iron than it does on lead.  Actually steel is an alloy of iron and that is why they both appear to rust the same.  You see, the elements that make up metals aren't happy to put it very simplistically.  They are constantly trying to return to their original state which is a phenomenon called entropy.  Without any energy going into the system to maintain it, things will always break down to return to their original state.  That is what rust is and what you see with the white powdery residue on your lead weights.  The catalyst in the reaction and the type of metal will dictate what the rust/oxidation looks like.

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2004, 11:43 AM »
now explain the rust on an apple  ;D ;D
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Cider

« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2004, 01:26 PM »
now explain the rust on an apple  ;D ;D

MissFishy what are we going to do with you...  That's an easy one!

Rust of an apple is a disease caused by certain species of pathogenic/parasitic fungi from the genus Gymnosporangium.  They are taxonomically classified as basidiomycetes or club fungi in the order of Uredinales (rusts, rust fungi).

Apple trees are most susceptible to rust disease from early bloom to just until the bloom is finished.  The disease manifests itself as yellowish spots on the upper surface of leaves in late spring.  These spots will eventually turn bright orange with red edges.

If you look closely enough, you will see small black fungal bodies called pycnia.  Over time they will begin to secrete an orange fluid and the spot will begin to develop on the underneath side of the leaf as well.  Eventually the pycnia will germinate into germ-tube hyphae called aceia which produce sporangium and then ultimately spores as the fungus begins to reproduce and the disease spreads.

These fungal colonies are roughly 1/4 inch in diameter.  They can also be found growing directly on the fruit (apple).  Usually it is only immature fruit bodies that are affected and they will be stunted and misshapen.  Eventually they will drop early before getting the chance to ripen to full maturity.

Other host species for these invasive fungi are junipers.

This fungal disease can be controlled by destroying any neighboring juinpers that have rust galls on them.  You should also be sure to purchase rust-resistant apple trees from your local nursery.  Some sprays can be effective at controlling fungal growth.  Check with your local cooperative extension for what may be used in your area!

That'll teach you to mess with a biologist who does research on pathogenic bacteria and fungi!!  ;D  ;D

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2004, 01:50 PM »
cider either you type extremely fast or you have way too much time on your hands !! either way ,the next time my kid needs help with a school project,im gonna send them to www.askcider.com ;D :D :D
Scotty 

Cider

« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2004, 01:56 PM »
cider either you type extremely fast

I learned to type very fast in the sixth grade and since moving into the manager's position in a research lab, I have very little time on my hands!  Most of my time is spent dealing with trying to work on my own research project and get data published while running the daily operation of the lab, supervising undergraduate students, watching over post-doctoral researchers, taking care of the principal investigator's needs, and assisting graduate students with their research as well as many other administrative responsibilities!

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Cider I am impressed. thanks for the information. I think I will have to read your reply a few times for it to sink in. :-[ :-[
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Cider

« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2004, 02:16 PM »
I think I will have to read your reply a few times for it to sink in. :-[ :-[

Unless you are into commerical apple growing, don't waste your time...  Just go polish up your jigs all nice and shiny and go catch some more of those impressive walleye you guys have on the prairies up there!!  ;D  ;D

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2004, 06:20 PM »
thats interesting but thats called "cedar apple rust" , I meant when you cut an apple it rusts you know
Fresh cut apples turn brown when iron-containing chemicals inside apple cells react with oxygen in the air.  We see this every day when iron objects rust, or when scabs on cuts turn brown.

The chemical reaction is called "oxidation", and the enzyme that regulates oxidation in apples is called "polyphenol oxidase" (PPO), also known as "tyrosinase".

I'm not suprised you know so much about apples CIDER hee hee I crack me up  ;D
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Cider

« Reply #27 on: Aug 09, 2004, 10:44 PM »
I meant when you cut an apple it rusts you know

Oh!  Well why didn't you just say so in the first place!!  Typical of a woman not to explain herself in plain english and expect men to be able to read minds and interpret intentions of unspoken thoughts...  ::)

Oh, MissFishy, I know all about enzymes too!  ;D  Actually, PPOs are commonly found in most fruits, grains, and common foods.

Polyphenol oxidases are not iron containing.  PPOs are copper metalloproteins.  This simply means that they are copper containing proteins.  We all know that enzymes are special proteins that have catalystic qualities.  Meaning, they initiate or speed up biochemical reactions and work until they are exhausted or used up but not physically changed or further broken down into raw amino acids.  Therefore, they don't directly cause the brown discoloration in the apple you cut up!

PPOs convert monophenols to diphenols (phenolic acids) and then into compounds called quinones when in the presence of oxygen.  But, the reaction is much more complicated than that.   ???  PPOs are only involved in the intial phase of enzymatic oxidation.

You see, once converted to quinones, they react with other quinones, reducing sugars, thiols, or amines (sugars and amino acids) in a polymerization reaction which in turn results in the brown discoloration on your Apple due to precipitation of said polymerized amino acids and sugars at the site of injury!

Enzymatic browning or enzymatic oxidation only happens when tissue is damaged and PPOs can come into contact with the various chemical substrates that precipitate these types of reactions!  ;D

You are right about blood clots though.  They turn brown in the presence of oxygen due to the hemoglobin content in blood.  Everyone knows (or should know) that hemoglobin is a tetramer molecule consisting of four globin chains (alpha and beta - designated in order of protein folding) bound together.  In the center of each of these chains is one iron atom.  Hemoglobin is the pigment that gives blood its color.

fastribs85

« Reply #28 on: Aug 10, 2004, 04:30 PM »
duh what im cunfused :-\ :-\ :-\
naked women and beer we got it all in here

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:06 PM »
well now that we have straightened that out i know ill sleep better ;D
Scotty 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.