FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Snakehead Tournament  (Read 3165 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Snakehead Tournament
« on: Jul 30, 2004, 07:30 AM »

slim slinger

Re: Snakehead Tournament
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2004, 03:29 PM »
whats a snakehead?

fastribs85

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2004, 04:58 PM »
slim its a real nasty fish do a search on the site forget where i saw the pictures of it
naked women and beer we got it all in here

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2004, 12:22 AM »
Too bad we don't have them here I can't be in a snakehead tourney >:(Oh wait, thats a good thing ;)

Polar

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2004, 11:44 AM »
snakehead...burbout with an attitude  ;D
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2004, 08:57 PM »
snakehead...burbout with an attitude  ;D

Well put Miss Fishy!  The link that Polar put up for us has lots of detail and interesting stuff, probably because MD is one of the states that has the most problems of late with them.  The one that is a problem is the Northern snakehead.  There are other species that have been sold in pet stores for years, but I think that in MD and some other areas those are also illegal to posess (or legislation is on it's way to make it that way).  I have to admit that I've seen them in the aquarium stores and they are pretty interesting to watch, at least the ones that are popular with aquarists.  I think that it's the red line snakehead in the article...

There's a movie file that you can check out of one eating, but it is pretty big and takes a while to download, so be patient.

Here's a pic from that site of Northern snakehead:

and one of it's teeth:

Nasty critters.  Looks like they'll be in MD for a long time.  I guess it's another species that we'll be talking about for years to come. 

icefishnfool

« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2004, 09:11 PM »
will they bite through the ice ????? ;D ;D

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2004, 02:11 PM »
Related to Bowfin i presume?

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2004, 06:38 PM »
imagine mistaking that thing for a bullhead in the dark.. count your fingers
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

fastribs85

« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2004, 08:21 PM »
ouch :'( :'(
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2004, 11:50 PM »
I don't think that they are related to bowfin.  They are more cichlid like, more modern behavior wise.  In aquaria, they feed like bass eating anything that they can swallow.  Their eyes are mobile and very aware.  I saw a bowfin in an aquarium and it behaved and looked very ancient or prehistoric, not a very alert fish.  However, I'll try to track down the taxonomy and see if they're related.  Out of the water, they kind of look similar...

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2004, 12:25 AM »
Snakehead Taxonomy:  Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Chordata, Subphylum Vertebrata, Superclass Osteichthyes, Class Actinopterygii, Subclass Neopterygii, Order Perciformes, Family Channidae, Genus Channa, Species Channa argus.

Bowfin Taxonomy: Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Chordata, Subphylum Vertebrata, Superclass Osteichthyes, Class Actinopterygii, Subclass Neopterygii, Order Amiiformes, Family Amiidae, Genus Amia, Species calva.

Not related as far as fish go.  Comparison:

Order Perciformes:  also called the Percomorphi or Acanthopteri, include about 40% of all fish and are the largest order of vertebrates. The name Perciformes means perch-like. They belong to the ray-finned fish and comprise over 7000 different species, with varying shapes and sizes, found in almost all aquatic environments. They first appeared and diversified in the late Cretaceous.

Order Amiiformes:  The bowfins are a primitive ray-finned fish. Only one species, the bowfin Amia calva, family Amiidae, exists today, although additional species in six families are known from Jurassic and Cretaceous fossils.

So, the bowfin has a more primative lineage, first appearing millions of years earlier than the fishes of order perciformes.  They did not give rise to the perciformes.  The bowfin or dogfish is the only surviving member of this primitive family of fishes.  Perciformes (perch like fishes) however, are very diverse.

So, in short, they ain't related ;D

Still, they look similar, long rayed dorsal fin, big nasty toothed mouth.  I think that the scales on the bowfin are large, and the snakehead has a more slimy appearance, maybe smaller scales.

Here's another pic (this one caught in Malaysia): 

Here's a pic of the bowfin: 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.