FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Getting ready for a day fishing trip  (Read 3971 times)

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
Re: Getting ready for a day fishing trip
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2004, 07:00 AM »
Good post F2W.  How many times do we all get out there and the first thing that we use is productive, and we wonder why we toted all this other stuff with us?

I'd like to add that the key is to be organized, putting your most likely used baits in the most accessible place, no matter how much in total you carry.  Getting to that point is fun for me.  That, in combination with being pumped about fishing, causes me sleep deprivation.  It doesn't hurt me at all during the fishing day, it's the following day that I pay for it ;D

Jigwiggler

« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Jigwiggler,  Where are those salmon pics!!!!  You gotta get me phyched up for my annual salmon trip. ;D

Barleydog,  Sorry man the pics are gonna have to wait until next week when I get back from walleye fishing.  :-\ ;D  Just didn't have time to get them developed the last couple of days.  On the bright side, when I get them done I'll have salmon, steelhead and walleye pics to post!!
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Aug 06, 2004, 12:08 PM »
Good man JW, better late than never....  ;)   I'll post up some un-real salmon pics after next week as well.  5 days of  ocean coho (6 per person) and bottomfishing, (halibut and seabass.)  ;D

Jigwiggler

« Reply #18 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Good man JW, better late than never....  ;)   I'll post up some un-real salmon pics after next week as well.  5 days of  ocean coho (6 per person) and bottomfishing, (halibut and seabass.)  ;D

Sounds good BD!  I'd love to fish your neck of the woods for some salmon, some day. ::)  No more salmon for me until the 18th.  Give em' h_ll!! and take lots of pics!  ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2004, 11:49 PM »
 8) 8) I do it all the time   I have to be @ my buddys driveway @ 4 am   & I got to drive  an hour  before  so I dont get any sleep that  nite

#2    its ice fishing season    my buddy  has to drive that  hour  to my place & drive another hour  to the lake    I also dont sleep  that nite

I sleep  after i get home
again

#3  we fish  trout  in spring   be @ my buddys  driveway  @ 4am     then there is no sleep in site LOL   till that nite
   so  no sleep    are there others  who go fishing with no SLEEP

Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
« Reply #20 on: Aug 19, 2004, 10:42 PM »
openning day of walleye is ,like christmas with fish poles .  ;D

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2004, 10:49 PM »
8) 8) I do it all the time   I have to be @ my buddys driveway @ 4 am   & I got to drive  an hour  before  so I dont get any sleep that  nite
#2    its ice fishing season    my buddy  has to drive that  hour  to my place & drive another hour  to the lake    I also dont sleep  that nite I sleep  after i get home again
#3  we fish  trout  in spring   be @ my buddys  driveway  @ 4am     then there is no sleep in site LOL   till that nite
   so  no sleep    are there others  who go fishing with no SLEEP
yeppers, I'm working 7p-7a and then go fishing, might get to bed somewhere around noon. wake up eat, breakfast for dinner and fish all night, eat, fish, eat, fish, fish, sometimes sleep.
go to bed at midnight, get up at 330a to meet at Denny's at 400a, hit the water at sun-up and fish till sun-down, eat and crash.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Hookset

« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2004, 08:58 AM »
Now that's a schedule!
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #23 on: Aug 20, 2004, 11:57 PM »
Good post F2W.  How many times do we all get out there and the first thing that we use is productive, and we wonder why we toted all this other stuff with us?

Once you really start just focusing on a single spot which has only the same species of fish (or maybe only 1 more), you will know exactly what you need to bring for tackle. Of course you will have to change for the season, but the following is what I use for my favorite fish in the summer months:

When I go river trout fishing, I bring about 60 #6 eagle claw bait holder hooks, 40 water gremlin sinkers in size 3-5, and about 3 pacs of 24 big fat nightcrawlers. I also bring 2 #6 orange flourescent panther martin, 2 #6 flourescent green panther martin, 2 #6 silver panther martins, 2 # 6 light brown trout colored panther martins, and 2 # 6 light rainbow trout colored panther martins. I never need more to catch an average of 30+ large rainbows and browns/day. Thats it 10 lures and some bait tackle that suffice for all conditions from clear to murky. (for rods I bring 2 short 5 1/2 ft. light action rods one with the new small abu garcia reel, the other with a shimano 500. They are spooled either with 6 lb. original stren or trilene xt. Spare spools are brought spooled similarly)

When I go fishing for trout in high mountain lakes, I bring a few less of my hooks, sinkers, and about 36 nightcrawlers, along with about 5 spoons of varios colors (1 gold, 1 red, 1 green, 1 black/white, 1 other), and I bring about 6 spinners (1 flourescent orange pm in size 6, the other in 4, the same with gold pms and the same with light rainbow trout color pms.) I also bring about 5 twister tail grubs each in a different color suited for various conditions, along with appropriate jighead weights. I also bring about 2 or 3 clear bubbles, and a few red ants, pistol petes, and mosquitos in various sizes in case of a hatch.
(for rods I bring 2 rods of about 6 1/2 feet long, light action rods. The reels are a quantium icon. spare spools are brought.) 11 hardbodied lures, a few worm setups, and 5 plastics.

I also use the same rod setup and reel set up that I use for trout in high mountain lakes for bass and walleye, but I will change the weight of the line occasionally, based on bass size/lure type/cover.

When bass fishing (largemouth) I bring about 20 senkos, 10 white 3" and 10 of another color, this time 5". I bring 8 of the appropriate gamakatsu hooks to rig each. I also bring about 4-5 small rattle traps or cordell super spots in various colors. I am trying the new storm fat crankbait that dives 0-1 ft also. I also bring a couple of rattling fat raps (rapala, not made anymore). I also bring about 8 zoom superflukes, 4 of which are in lemon green and 5", the other 4 are 4" and are white. Once again the appropriate gamakatsu hooks are brought. I also bring 3 or 4 rapala skitterpops of various colors for topwater time. That's not that many lures if you think about it, 28 plastics and about 9 hardbodied lures. DO this and you are prepared for bass in any condition and cover.

As you can see for my 3 favorite types of fishing, river trout, trout in high mountain lakes, and largemouth bass,  I have my gear down to the exactness and do not bring anything excessive. Every time I use each style of what I brough for these kind of fish, maybe not each lure but each kind of lure. And you cannot argue with my results. So as you can see, getting ready for a fishing trip gets easier when you know what kind of fish you are going after, what they bite that time of year, and you only pack the lures you know 100% for sure you are going to need. (along with 1 replacement of each)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.