FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spicing things up  (Read 2531 times)

Jigwiggler

Spicing things up
« on: Aug 05, 2004, 04:24 PM »
I was just wondering how many of you use commercial scents ( or homemade for that matter) and attractants on your bait or lures.  I have had very good luck using various scented soft plastic baits, smelly jelly(crawfish scent) and anise oil (for largemouth bass).  I also know guys that put Alka Seltzer and Pop Rocks in their tube baits.  Just wondering what brands/tactics work for you guys to spice up your presentation??
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Polar

Re: Spicing things up
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2004, 07:14 PM »
I've used various types in my opinion I feel that they don't really turn the tide in my favor. I do think that beads and small fluttering blades added to the presentation make a big difference as does the Size of the lure along with speed.

slim slinger

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2004, 12:14 AM »
I have used scents  and some days i have limited out while other have got nothing or one for many species of fish.... I myself have more confidence fishing while using scent........just my thoughts!  oh ya i use berkley scents....usually......

slim

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2004, 07:39 AM »
I've tried various scents through the years (including WD-40) but none have ever changed my luck consistantly enough for me to continue using them.  I personally think presentation, bait selection and your ability to read the water are far more important factors in fishing success, that's what I try to concentrate on.
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2004, 11:39 AM »
I've stood right next a guy using sent on the same lure I was useing and he had better luck But when I tried it no better luck.....I think the fishing gods hate me :'(  ;D
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Smelly Jelly gel in baitfish scent, slathered on any lure for any fish fresh or salt.  It's also good on popcorn. ;D  Works good under the ice, (disperses nicely.)  Kodiak scent is another good one.  I use the squid and herring scent for trolling spoons and even while fishing for species like sturgeon.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2004, 01:15 PM »
personally wont use scent....i've tried it quite afew times with various presentations..(frozen minnows and lures) side by side while ice fishing, and also on softwater...quite possibly can make the difference when some fish are inactive, but as i said.....not anymore.....grumps 2bits

Reelmaster

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2004, 04:25 PM »
I tried this at lake x with a walleye scent and also in ditch lake. It worked well for walleye, pike and even perch. I put it on night cralwlers when fishing for walleye and on a rapalla when fishing for pike. The perch are hungary in ditch lake as they too where bitting the rap.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good days work!!!

fISH2WIN

• Set the hook! They aint got hands
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2004, 02:18 PM »
I use several different brands in Craw, Lizard and shad. There are times when I think it makes a definite difference, I like Berkley,bang and Jacks juice. Yum products have been good to me as well as Power worms. They both have scent made into them. Fish2win
Please do not cast into the trees. Most of the fish are in the water

Jigwiggler

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2004, 09:02 AM »
I use several different brands in Craw, Lizard and shad. There are times when I think it makes a definite difference, I like Berkley,bang and Jacks juice. Yum products have been good to me as well as Power worms. They both have scent made into them. Fish2win

Powerworms, grubs, tubes and lizards have worked very well for me along with several Strike King scented products.  Smelly Jelly is the only "add on" scent product I have used and I've seen some good results with that too.  I know a couple of guys that swear by Bang but I have never tried it myself.

Has anyone ever noticed that when using a brand new lure it sometimes seems to be difficult to catch anything?  Once you catch the first fish on it they seem much more willing to bite.  This is when I like to use "add on" scents to help disguise and repelling odors left from the manufacturing process.

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2004, 10:34 AM »
I can echo Missfishy, no luck for me.  Last winter I ice-fished in the Red River maybe 30' from a guy who was pulling in and releasing one walleye after another.  He was using minnows like me, but added Berkley Powerbait Walleye attractant.  So I bought some, tried it out, and didn't have any better luck than before.  Maybe I've got that skin chemical that is supposed to repel fish, most people can out-fish me. :'(

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2004, 11:03 AM »
All of the fake bait I use is either the Berkley Gulp or the standard.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2004, 07:15 AM »
i use scent also, some times it works some times it does not if the fish are not going to bite,
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
rat
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.