FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Skeeters...  (Read 2239 times)

Chuckles

Skeeters...
« on: Aug 10, 2004, 04:27 PM »
Now that we're about to have the 3rd. or 4th. hatch of the season.......What is the best
"skeeter" repellant?  I've had guys say eat garlic and the skeeters will leave you alone......but so will your  wife, girlfriend, and kids.  What's a fellow to use??

bayonne

Re: Skeeters...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2004, 04:41 PM »
avons skin so soft works good most of the time my wife always gets some when getting her junk

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:01 PM »
nothing like a big smokey stogey in your tackle box!!!
Scotty 

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:22 PM »
nothing like a big smokey stogey in your tackle box!!!

That's my choice of repellant.  I rather enjoy a fine cigar while spending an evening on the lake or river, bug repellant is just an added benifit.  ;D
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:45 PM »
Bounce dryer sheets around your neck work great I also use Bens 1000 repelent but the stuff kinda of scares me because it eats anything plastic so it can't be good for the skin...
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

fastribs85

« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2004, 05:52 PM »
ive been useing the off outdoor i got it at walmart in the camping supplies its in a green bottle works great
naked women and beer we got it all in here

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2004, 07:52 PM »
MickeyFinn i would have to agree about the bens...there is a reason event the bugs wont eat it!!100% deet is potent stuff :-X ill have no part in that unless im in aroostook county maine during a black fly hatch :o ol ben will be your best friend then!!
Scotty 

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2004, 10:14 AM »
I have had no problems with Off. Works for me.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Esox

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2004, 11:30 AM »
DEET!!!!! ;D They would not have made 100% legal to sell if it was not safe.  ;)

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2004, 04:24 PM »
I just carry a bat . ;D
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

Cider

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2004, 05:09 PM »
I prefer 100% DEET.  Muskol is the brand I use.

DEET does actually have some harmful side-effects to your health if you use too much or use it regularly.  It will cause damage to your liver and kidneys.  From what I have read, it seems that the most susceptible are older people.  I don't know if there is any concrete evidence to support one way or another whether DEET is harmful or not.  So far, I have ignored the warnings because the stuff works too darn good!!  Besides, I figure that the beer and bourbon is probably doing more liver damage than the DEET ever will!

What I don't like about DEET is how caustic it can be.  Don't leave it on your hands and then start handling plastic rapalas, the till on your trolling motor, your waders, etc.  The stuff eats some plastics...

Has anyone tried using stuff called "No Stinkin' Bugs"??  I saw it on the shelves in Wal-Mart and bought a can.  It is in a red can with a white top on it.  The stuff is scented like the fresh earth wafers from HS Scents!  They market it for bowhunters/deer hunters.  I bought a can.  Just wondering if it really works for bug repellent.  I sprayed a little in the air and it really does smell like dirt!!

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2004, 07:05 AM »
i put skin so soft on me and ben's on my hat, and shirt  and fishing vest
this works for me when i fish the adirondacks
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Invicta

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2004, 03:02 PM »
Deep Woods Off is the only stuff I use and I never seem to get more than one or two bites while using it.

TimC1086

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2004, 03:05 PM »
i also use off, it seems to work fine most of the time, but if theres still a cloud of gnats hovering around, i give 'em a little spray of their own and they just drop.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.