FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boating and wildlife enforcement  (Read 2345 times)

fISH2WIN

• Set the hook! They aint got hands
Boating and wildlife enforcement
« on: Aug 17, 2004, 07:55 AM »
How many of you have had your boat checked or your fishing license checked this year? What state was it in?Fish2win
Please do not cast into the trees. Most of the fish are in the water

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Re: Boating and wildlife enforcement
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2004, 08:41 AM »
fish2WIN,

Actually I've been checked quite a few time here in NewYork and in Michigan.  When I was in MI on leave earlier this month I was checked by the Sheriffs department.  It was just a safety check and I was ok.  I never worry about being checked and alway treat the Officers with respect.  I wish they would come out a lot more.  I love being in the age of cell phones and keep the Numbers programed so I can report violations. 

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2004, 08:48 AM »
I've only had my fishing license checked once this spring in NY and actually wound up talking to the ECO for about an hour about hunting and fishing in the area.  He gave me some tips on grouse covers on state land that was near where I was fishing.  Like Steve said, if you treat them with respect and aren't doing anything wrong there's no problem.  Most of the conservation officers are hunters or fisherman too and you know how we all love to talk hunting and fishing  ;D!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2004, 09:18 AM »
only driving through a road block with the boat on but he didn't even stop us.unfortunatly i haven't been fishing much this year to busy :(
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

Polar

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Never been stopped in my boat. 2 times for a license and to look at my fish.

TimC1086

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2004, 02:55 PM »
check my fishing license? welll that's a new idea...

the dfw seems to be pitifully undermanned in MA... i fish a ton, year round. never had my license looked at, never seen anyone's license looked at, never seen an EPO guy at all! and then people complain when unlicensed guys go around keeping 9 inch salmon, fillet em right there and leave the bones. what do we expect?

(I know, this was about boating. But ive never let topic restrictions stop me before)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2004, 06:22 PM »
here in maine i was boarded by the marine patrol but when he saw my safety equipment was all up to par he left me alone all summer
Scotty 

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2004, 06:38 PM »
I get checked several times a year probably. I used to almost never get checked, and in some spots where I had never seen the game warden, I saw them for the first time the last year or so.
Some of them just ask how the fishing is and to see your license. Others like to harass you. I guess it just depends on the officer. The ones that harass much of the time are wannabe cops who couldn't cut it as real cops.

Tyler

fastribs85

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2004, 07:57 PM »
in three years only been checked once and that was just to see if i had a licencs on me not if it was current or anything have seen fish commision and no licensce in sight was in pocket but never was asked for it and thats in se pa
naked women and beer we got it all in here

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2004, 08:58 PM »
Was checked once a 2 or 3 yrs ago but never since then.  Saw them checking some boats coming in last weekend while we were going out.  I think they were mainly checking the pleasure boaters for alcohol.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2004, 09:42 PM »
This one ranger named chacon checked us once up around glenwood on the colorado river, but since then he's recognized us and let us be.
I also got checked at a walk in reservoir on the walk out. First time I saw a game warden there in all of my life fishing there. I've been checked twice this year in colorado.

fISH2WIN

• Set the hook! They aint got hands
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2004, 05:35 PM »
This is interesting. I always make sure that I am legal in every way. Here in Tennessee we have had 18 boat related deaths this year. Thats not accidental drowning thats boat colliisions. In most every case one of the boats involved was breaking some law. I spend about 150 days per year on the water. The odd thing is I have not been saftey checked or had my license checked in 10 years or more. I have seen the creel clerk but no wildlife officers or coast guard. It just goes to show how few officers the TWRA has. Laws are no good without enforcement . In Tennessee there is no mandatory boaters saftey coarse  and to little number of officers to enforce the laws we have. Our lakes are big and deep so fast boats are the norm.To many boats to little enforcement. Fish2win
Please do not cast into the trees. Most of the fish are in the water

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2004, 05:51 PM »
yes in these days of cutting budgets and manpower,our men in green are shorthanded as it gets.we can all do our part to help by getting involved.almost every state has a hotline designated to fish and wildlife.if you see illegal or endangering activities ,report them and get the details boat or vehicle registrations are extremely helpful as are,time of day,a good physical description of the evildoers and when you report something ,get a casenumber and follow up on it.the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!i try to treat every body of water i fish on like i own it!!so dont litter or steal my fish(refering to illegal poaching of course)if you are within your legal bag limit and or possesion limit ,fine, but if your not dont let me catch ya cause ill bring the heat!!ill even take your picture(wardens love this one!!)
Scotty 

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2004, 08:06 AM »
Licence checked once in open water and about five times during ice season this past winter.  Boat only got the "sticker" check but nothing more.  This was all in Southern Vermont.

Hookset

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2004, 08:54 AM »
I have been fishing and boating the Saratoga Region for many years.  My boat has never been inspected by an authority figure, nor has my license been checked.  It may just be that I don't engage in the activities that would force DEC to place a negative stereotype on me.  It's all about respect for the water, others boating and fishing, and the unwritten rules of being a steward of nature.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.