FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bassfishing at oneida lake  (Read 1462 times)

hawkeyejr

bassfishing at oneida lake
« on: Aug 17, 2004, 11:08 PM »
i have a tournament at oneida this weekend and was wondering if any body has any hotspots up there and tips :)

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Re: bassfishing at oneida lake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2004, 05:17 AM »
Hawkeye,
I don't fish for green carp  ;D but if you pm chenbasshead, he might be able to give you some info.

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

walleye_1

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2004, 06:42 AM »
hawkeyejr - 2 words - Shackleton Shoals! Get yourself a map and you'll see this structure. It's real easy to find and the smallmouths love it! Let us know how you do.

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2004, 11:25 PM »
I know lots of places  to go
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2004, 05:14 PM »
Not familiar with the entire body of water, but I'll try to help. First and foremost, smallies are by far the dominant species of black bass up there. My sources tell me that the smallies have been shallow (15 feet and less). In the western part of the lake, near Brewerton, there is a place called Wood Point. Off the end of the point, in 5-10 FOW, smallies are being caught early. They're being taken on a variety of baits, so don't hesitate to change. What I would do is pull up to this area and fan cast with a spinnerbait. The smallies up there love em. Make sure that you burn it, because the fish don't seem to touch it otherwise. Then throw a tube. If the water is that pea-soup green that it has been all year, try carolina rigging a tube or grub. Before you leave, burn the spinnerbait a few more times. If you fish there early, a buzzbait will probably work pretty well too. While out that way, you could hit Big Bay and throw senkos and jig-n-pig's for LM's. THey're being caught at all depths but the deeper sections (about 9') have been yielding the larger fish. Rockpiles and sholes with grass growing on them are producing good numbers of both largemouths and smallies. Don't be afraid to hit the Oneida River in Brewerton either. Smallmouths and largemouths are both present here, and have been very active as of late. I'll ask later for a report of today's action from my "sources". Good luck!

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.