FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your favorite On-line reference source  (Read 5469 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Your favorite On-line reference source
« on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:37 AM »
Years ago, the best source for fishing information and advice was a family member, or the "old timer" down the road, who freely shared their knowledge from many years' of experience with you.

More recently, magazines and TV shows have brought a collection of scientific research, along with many pretty (and expensive) must have gadgets, right to your door.

In some respects, computers have brought a combination of both, right into our homes.

By know, we should recognize MyFishFinder (and IceShanty), as among the best fishing reference sources for open and hard water fishing information. (Do I hear a "second" to this gratuitous plug for these two great sites)? :)

What other on-line sources have you found to be the most useful? What do you have bookmarked that has most assisted you with your fishing affliction? ???

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

tommyboy

Re: Your favorite On-line reference source
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:17 AM »
The newest site that I have found is surprisingly the ESPN outdoors site.  I never expected that they would have good info, but they have everything from fishin to sporting dogs.  Their destinations page has given me quite a few ideas on where to head this year.  Check it out and you might find something usefule too.

Its at:  http://espn.go.com/outdoors/index.html
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:41 AM »
Seing as how most of my fishing is for walleyes, my favorite sites for walleye info are   walleyecentral.com and walleyefirst.com
Pete Lewis

Scott

• Administrator
  • Jig Jig for a big pig
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2004, 01:15 PM »
Google
You can even use it to search within this site or iceshanty.

-Scott

Bartman44

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:15 PM »
I fish rivers quite a bit so I use the USGS web site to track river water levels so I don't take a long drive only to find out that the my favorite river is up over the banks. I keep a log of the levels when I go so I can picture in my mind what the river looks like based on the CFS (cubic feet per second). Before I had access to this I would drive for hours only to find the water over the bank. Now I can choose my river. 

Here's the URL to the NY water levels. 

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/current/?type=flow 

reelcharacter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Scott,

I like Google as well. Had not thought of it as a site specific search tool, (or that it would be referred to in this thread). Tried My Fish Finder Scott, and there you were!  :)

Thanks,
-Lyle Halbert
aka - reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

tommyboy

« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2004, 12:13 PM »
It took some getting used to, but I no longer use google.  Read this, and you may want to reconsider, as well:

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=\Culture\archive\200310\CUL20031007c.html
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

suskymusky

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2004, 12:51 PM »
I love the links in the Pennsylvania boards to the Susquehanna and Delaware river levels.It is critical to me when picking an area to fish.It has real time data on the water level.If I look in the newspaper they have the level from the day before,and I might go to a spot and be unable to fish it.I have a bunch of websites that I go to for tips and articles on fishing.Here are some: www.in-fisherman.com                    www.fishingfacts.com                              www.muskyhunter.com                         www.walleyecentral.com                                        www.fishingclub.com                                              www.carp.net
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Browntrout08

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2004, 05:03 PM »
I have never been on the computer much before I discovered IS and this site.  Now I'm on everyday.  A few years ago I used go to GORP.com,Great outdoor recreational pages.  They had good trout articles, everything from fly hatches to caring for your catch.  I haven't been on that site in a while though.

Powerworm

• There's One!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:54 PM »
Hey Tommy boy, what's your point?

reelcharacter

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Since I asked what everyone's favorite web site was, I guess I will jump in the water again.

There is a tremendous amount of good information available right at your computer keyboard fingertips. Mixed in is a fair amount of mis-information as well. If I read something on a site that starts to get my dander up, more often than not, when I dig deeper into the topic I find what got me worked up was just part of the story. Do please try to take some of what you read on the internet with a grain or two of salt.

Several posts have shared some great sites, please keep your favorite On-Line Reference Sources coming.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

buckshot

« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2004, 07:03 AM »
The State of Nebraska Game and Parks maintains a forum the I find informative, not only on fishing, but covers pretty much aspect of the outdoors.   Their staff do a good job of answering questions.   

www.ngpc.state.ne.us/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
I  go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses tuned once more.

tommyboy

« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Powerworm,

My point is that I don't support any business or organization that has an anti-gun agenda, no matter how appealing their product is.  As most of us fisherman are also hunters, and hunters usually require guns, I thought some of you may care to see what google thinks of our rights.

MCfishnut

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:55 AM »
Started with Ice Shanty and moved to his site.  I key in on some special interest groups for Indiana pan fishing, catfish, pike/musky etc.  But will always be a shanty man first.  ;D

MCfishnut

reelcharacter

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2004, 12:29 AM »
Found a forum for making lures that has some really interesting information at;

http://www.tackleunderground.com/articles/

-Reelcharacter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.