FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: battery question.  (Read 5028 times)

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
battery question.
« on: Aug 07, 2006, 10:15 AM »
i should be getting my new ( well new to me anyway) boat. in  a few days. its 14 foot starcraft. all it has for electronics is a fish finder and navigations lights. and i was wondering if i would be ok with a normal car batter or if i need a deep cycle marine battery.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
Re: battery question.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Get the deepcycle, but make sure it not just a deepcycle, but a deepcycle and starting battery.
This way it will have cold cranking power to crank your engine, but it can sustain heavy drains without damage.
Any electronics, such as radios, depthfinders, lighting, GPS, horn, anchor windlass (winch), etc., will drain your battery.

I always go with two batteries and a switch in my boats, but with a 14 ft. boat you may want to conserve on space and weight.

Good luck.
Mac

thanks, my outboard doesnt have elctric start . so does  it still need to be a starting battery?
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

TomBass

« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2017, 05:31 PM »
I'm new to electronics.  Just got a Garmin Striker 5cv.  Can that be wired to my deep cell battery I use for my trolling motor?

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:20 AM »
A starting battery will work, but will not have as long a life as a deep cycle battery. The plates in a starting battery are thin and made to give up lots of amps when you turn a key (start a engine). With a deep cycle battery the plates are thicker and can take a deep discharge without the plates being damaged as easily.

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:49 AM »
I'm new to electronics.  Just got a Garmin Striker 5cv.  Can that be wired to my deep cell battery I use for my trolling motor?
Yes
Keep it safe!!
Keep it safe! JDL

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Yes
Keep it safe!!

Use an inline fuse too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com