FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Humminbird Piranha Max 150 not marking fish  (Read 4114 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Humminbird Piranha Max 150 not marking fish
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:18 AM »
I bought a Huminbird Piranha Max 150 portable a week ago. I used it 2 times salmon fishing but did not mark 1 fish. Yesterday I went to West Grand and borrowed a buddies boat with a Eagle Fish ID. I marked tons of fish with the Eagle but not 1 with the humminbird. I had them both running at the same time most of the day. Althoe the Humminbird does a great job detailing the bottom it will not mark fish. I have been using bottom recorders for over 30 years and I made many changes in the adjustments all 3 days I used this recorder but to no avail. In the past I have fished with other guys that have had "cheaper" recorders that mark fish as good or better then expensive recorders but I must say for now the Piranha Max 150 is not for me.
 Any others had this issue?
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

perchgypsy

Re: Humminbird Piranha Max 150 not marking fish
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:55 PM »
i been messing around with my cousins new 591 bird and i noticed on his there is a fish id and alarm and both were off when new...have you checked out the manual at all ...not sure if yours is similar but look into it
if the sesitivity is off you might need to turn that up as well but not to much just enough to mark a decent fish,
say if it goes to 10... 4or 5 should be good

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:00 PM »
i been messing around with my cousins new 591 bird and i noticed on his there is a fish id and alarm and both were off when new...have you checked out the manual at all ...not sure if yours is similar but look into it
if the sesitivity is off you might need to turn that up as well but not to much just enough to mark a decent fish,
say if it goes to 10... 4or 5 should be good

Fish ID should be off. If not, turn it off. Having it on will give you a lot more false signals as anything under the transducer will show you a fish. With it off, all you will see is a very tiny colored mark that you can immediately tell is NOT a fish.
Pete Lewis

BOULDERDASH

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:00 AM »
check to see your upper limit is set to zero,also use the onboard test mode to check  the voltage and ducer , If the are bad you will be in simulation mode.

HBirdDeborahCRC

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 09:32 AM »
I bought a Huminbird Piranha Max 150 portable a week ago. I used it 2 times salmon fishing but did not mark 1 fish. Yesterday I went to West Grand and borrowed a buddies boat with a Eagle Fish ID. I marked tons of fish with the Eagle but not 1 with the humminbird. I had them both running at the same time most of the day. Althoe the Humminbird does a great job detailing the bottom it will not mark fish. I have been using bottom recorders for over 30 years and I made many changes in the adjustments all 3 days I used this recorder but to no avail. In the past I have fished with other guys that have had "cheaper" recorders that mark fish as good or better then expensive recorders but I must say for now the Piranha Max 150 is not for me.
 Any others had this issue?

Did you try running the Piranha unit with the other unit turned off?   If you run two units that are on the same frequency at the same time you could pick up interferance between the products.  This could cause one unit to show no fish at all and one to show lots of fish when there may only be one or two in the area.

Fish Variables can affect how the fish appears on the screen.

The size of a fish's air bladder helps determine the size fish displayed. There are many variables that affect this, some of which are:
* The species of the fish. You may be over a large fish such as a flounder, however because it has a small air bladder and according to your fishfinders settings, it may be displayed as a small fish or not at all.

* Whether the fish passed directly under the transducer or off to a side. If a large fish were to pass to one side of the transducer, its air bladder may not be fully in the transducer cone angle. This will cause a much weaker return signal to be reflected back to the depth sounder. A weak return signal could be displayed as a small fish or as baitfish or due to various settings on the depth sounder, not at all. If the same fish were to pass directly under the transducer, it could be displayed as a large fish.

*Sensitivity - adjust all Sensitivity menus to a higher setting.
* Bottom View - adjust to Inverse (Grayscale) so that weaker signals will be easier to see on the display

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.