FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cape Cod Canal - 2018  (Read 52691 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Cape Cod Canal - 2018
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:48 PM »
Late June into July...eels would be he easiest way for a beginner to hook a cow down there.  Or do what everyone else does....wait until 4am and head down for a 7 mile shoulder to shoulder, topwater hope fest. 

westernmas

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Late June into July...eels would be he easiest way for a beginner to hook a cow down there.  Or do what everyone else does....wait until 4am and head down for a 7 mile shoulder to shoulder, topwater hope fest.

Last year it was unbelievable.  I was one of the many googans on the fishing pier during a blitz.  You got people reeling in a 30lb striper with the rod upside down, 15 others jammed up at the end of the pier bc they are all wrapped around the last piling, and you've got to let out 100 yards of line so you can go up and around them to land the fish.  I lost a cow trying to run down the rocks after I let a ton of line out to get around the other googans.

I'm no expert down there and surprisingly most people fell in line on the pier but the few that don't really mess things up.  I don't know if I'll fish the pier much this year but it sure is nice to be able to jig up mackerel on one side of it and live line them off the other side.  It just isn't one of those places that I go with the hopes of fishing in solitude.  Its essentially turned into the salmon river in NY with googans fighting each other over a zombie fish.

For the most part if you are fishing shoulder to shoulder you all need to fish the same method or you will be getting all sorts of tangled.  The locals will let you hear about it too.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:56 PM »
 There is 2 very different scenes at the canal.  The one Pat mentions and then the one I fish.  Sometimes in July nights will get busy but never shoulder to shoulder. 

Blitzing bass are fun, its even more insane when you hit a school doing it at night!  It's rare now but 10 years ago I'd find them there by riding along slowly and listening.  Most nights you could find a section with fish rolling and popping bait all night. 

Once the sun is up I am usually done fishing.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Last year it was unbelievable.  I was one of the many googans on the fishing pier during a blitz.  You got people reeling in a 30lb striper with the rod upside down, 15 others jammed up at the end of the pier bc they are all wrapped around the last piling, and you've got to let out 100 yards of line so you can go up and around them to land the fish.  I lost a cow trying to run down the rocks after I let a ton of line out to get around the other googans.

I'm no expert down there and surprisingly most people fell in line on the pier but the few that don't really mess things up.  I don't know if I'll fish the pier much this year but it sure is nice to be able to jig up mackerel on one side of it and live line them off the other side.  It just isn't one of those places that I go with the hopes of fishing in solitude.  Its essentially turned into the salmon river in NY with googans fighting each other over a zombie fish.

For the most part if you are fishing shoulder to shoulder you all need to fish the same method or you will be getting all sorts of tangled.  The locals will let you hear about it too.

I just looked at a map and found the pier you are speaking of. Yeah no thanks. I have a similar pier 2 minutes from my house so I am very aware of that type of fishing. It only takes 1 googan to make a school of googans.

Jon - If you ever want company let me know. It would take me 1.5 hours to get there and an all nighter is fine with me.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:13 PM »
We can make something happen for sure. Im looking forward to this:

Thats a 9" shad.

Pat you have the right idea, if everyone is jigging you don't want to be the guy trying to plug when its busy.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #20 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Shads are a great bait and they are really under used. I know a few people that exclusively jig the deep shads.

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:07 PM »
When they first came out I used to love the deep shads.  Im sure they still slay fish with them.  I have always done better with the 9".  Loved ron-z until the new guys took over and have over priced them to market to tuna guys. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #22 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:27 PM »
Ronzs were amazing

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #23 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I'll be ready as soon as I put some flounder in the freezer before the big girls arrive. This one fell to an Al Gags Whip It Fish last year.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #24 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:53 PM »
Al gags makes some really nice jigs too

boondox

« Reply #25 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Nice fish!! I am even seeing a canal bike in photo..

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2018, 04:41 AM »
Thats a nice one Jeff.  I need one over 52" to beat my pb down there. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #27 on: Apr 17, 2018, 06:53 AM »

Will if you want to try it out I can show you a thing or two.  I have a back up setup for jigging you can try. 

I got a 6000 Spheros SW that should get the job done i think. Whats a good budget rod for jigging? I dont mind picking one up.

lowaccord66

« Reply #28 on: Apr 17, 2018, 07:02 AM »
6000 will do.  Buddy of mine uses a St. Croix triumph surf rod that seemed decent. Another uses a cheap tsunami ariwave.   If you can get something rated for 2-6oz that should do the trick unless you want to throw the 9" shad, I use 5-10 and 6-12oz rated blanks for that. 

westernmas

« Reply #29 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08:13 AM »
6000 will do.  Buddy of mine uses a St. Croix triumph surf rod that seemed decent. Another uses a cheap tsunami ariwave.   If you can get something rated for 2-6oz that should do the trick unless you want to throw the 9" shad, I use 5-10 and 6-12oz rated blanks for that.

I've used a Tsunami Trophy for the last 3 years and it seems to do the trick.  I think it is even cheaper than the airwave but works for me.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.