FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steehead Fly Rod  (Read 1221 times)

adkbrookie

Steehead Fly Rod
« on: Nov 13, 2007, 10:41 PM »
i am looking to buy a fly rod for steelies, i am looking for suggestions on wieght, length, and action. was thinking 8wt. fast action, 9'. also going to be getting line, was going to go high end with cortland 555 dyanatip. do any of you use this line and if so what do you think of it. some reviewers said it casts great but cracks in a short time, even with proper care. any suggestions on the rod or line would be great. thanks and tight lines.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
Re: Steehead Fly Rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007, 05:34 AM »
adkbrookie,

I tried my buddies Reddington 8wt. 9 1/2' 2 piece fly rod the other day and really liked it.  He just purchased a second one for $95.00 (normal price $250.00).  The fly shop in town is not going to carry them any more because everyone wants a 3 piece rod.  For fly line, I have found the Cortland 444 has been really good for me and has lasted a lot longer than any other fly line I have used.  If you are interested in the flyshop,send me a PM and I will give you the info. 

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007, 09:12 PM »

I use a 10' 7wt med action,  its a custom made rod on TNT blanks. A fast action rod IMO is a good choice if your going to use it for other big game fish casting big bulky flies around. I like the feel of a med action rod when nymphing, bumpin bottom, I think I get a better hook set against steelhead with a med action rod . I have a fast action 8wt that is great for casting big streamers to Pike but its just to stiff for my liking when I'm after steelhead, I guess I feel like a fast rod will let the fish know your there before you realize they are, whereas a med acction rod does just the oposite. When it comes to fly line, leaders and tippet, the only line I will buy is Scientific Angler products.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

WindKnots

• Tie 'em and fly 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:15 PM »
I've been using a 10'7wt Thomas & Thomas for the past 7 or 8 years.  I also use it for pike and bass in my float tube.  Great rod.  Fast action, light, works great.  Not cheap, but then good stuff rarely is.

I've also had a heck of a lot of fun with a St. Croix 7/8 wt, 9 foot.  Caught the biggest striper of my life on that rod, a beautiful 12 pounder.
Run it wide open or not at all.

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:44 AM »
7wt. bass pro shop dogwood. Package deal.  Works nice on the steelies. Too light for the tackle buster salmon.
9wt st croix for the salmon. Too much rod for the steelies, casts great pike flies.

Internet heros give it a rest!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.