FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question about trailer breaks ?  (Read 1809 times)

Spooled85

Question about trailer breaks ?
« on: Oct 28, 2018, 07:21 PM »
I have recently boat a new boat . The trailer has a hydraulic breaking system . When u break the tongue compresses and applies fluid to the trailer breaks. Works great on the Rd ..... But backing up to my garage I'm on a hill and this cause my breaks to lock up ! It has a little spacer that can be put in place to stop the compression of the tongue but it falls out constantly.  Cause me to pull forward on flat ground and start over ! You wanna talk about PO 'd when this happens . Anyone else deal with this ?? And does anyone have any solutions ??

Spooled85

Re: Question about trailer breaks ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Good idea I will have to try that this afternoon

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2018, 09:11 AM »
just a heads up... Those tire marks on the pavement immediately following a rough dip in the road or railroad tracks? -
They are often caused by this type of braking system.  We call them "surge brakes".  When the tow vehicle loses momentum before the trailer does, the forward force of the tongue triggers the braking mechanism and the trailer wheels momentarily lock up enough to cause a "micro skid"  It's just the nature of the beast.

fish on,

rivereddy

Spooled85

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Haven't noticed that yet but definitely makes since ! Good idea but absolutely stupid at the same time I my take it off the trailer I pull with a one ton so it's not like it's too heavy to stop it

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2018, 08:21 AM »
ahhhhh  trailer brakes!
and the solution!!!!
well first there is a solenoid (usually a blue wire) that when used on a 7 blade plug that controls your back up lights.  it sends current to the solenoid (inside the tounge of your trailer)in the brake system , when put in reverse, the solenoid shuts the fluid path so when you back up your brakes don't engage.  if your using a plug converter like from a 7 way to a 4 way flat you often lose that lead.
so there are 3 ways to solve it.  make sure the 7 way plug is used that has a towing back up wire.
replace a bad solenoid.
or and also....
use the simplest fix ever.  its hard to describe but I can txt you pics, pm me a number and I will send. you can post here if you like!
basically its drilling a 1/4" hole and using the trailer lock pin and just moving it.  doing so it "locks" the surge part of the trailer just like your clip but wont ever fall out on the ramp as you pull forward.  it is also is always there, never lost and is an awesome back up....just in case.

also if using a 7 way plug you have a fuse in your truck fuse box  labeled "towing back up lamps" mines a 20 amp....if this is blown your solenoid wont work.  my kids blows all the time and that's why the pin idea came up.  that's the easiest fix of all.

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2018, 08:40 AM »
Drilling the hole, and using a pin is what our trailer has for a set up. It stops the trailer you get before the brakes can engage as you back up.

rivereddy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Anybody else notice the add for braking systems at the end of this thread?

fish on,

rivereddy

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Anybody else notice the add for braking systems at the end of this thread?

fish on,

rivereddy

Its probably just your PC since you googled it already. Funny thing how the internet keeps stuff stored and then uses it subconsciously on everyone. No matter where you go on the web, its always traceable.
Wicked Wec

rivereddy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Nope didn't google it..... Only made mention of it on this site.

fish on,

rivereddy

Spooled85

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Well thank you to all who have replied these comments give me a few ideas to try ! And bronzebacker I've send a PM thank you

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2018, 06:53 AM »
will have it out to you today!!

wallin

« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Mine was a pain when new but seems to have loosened up and hardly kicks on when backing in the barn.
Wallin

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:48 AM »
sent...
sorry about the delay!!

Spooled85

« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:43 AM »
Message received , thank you very much for taking the time to make me a video as to what to do. Good to see there is still guys that will go out of there way to help others with nothing in return !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.