FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fish caught, Boomer sighted  (Read 1669 times)

rivereddy

fish caught, Boomer sighted
« on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Fresh spawn is like, well, fresh spawn... Last week's trip yielded about a pint of the stuff and I just couldn't stand the thought of it drying out in the back of the freezer.  Yeah, I know, the words "gale watch" and "snow" were included in the Michigan City forecast, but, Hey, I had fresh spawn....
I called a buddy and we made the 3+ hour drive up to the pier.  I will admit that, given the forecast, I was a little be more on guard weatherwise. The wind was out of the NNE so I kept looking over my shoulder at the waves.  My other eye was on the smoke plumes of the mills..... we were the only ones in the entire area - no fishers, walkers, literally anybody. The winds more or less behaved and, rare for the pier, I was actually over dressed for the occasion.
      I showed my buddy how to rig a spawn snell and away we went.  I had a small piece of spawn on my rigs for whitefish and he put out a bigger chunk on one pole and cast a spoon with the other.  He had walked a distance down the pier when his spawn rig decided to go swimming.  I grabbed the rod, struck iron, and hollered for him to get over to where the fish was.  He took the pole and proceeded to land his first lake trout ever.  He had never seen a laker before and didn't even know what it was.  23" and I'd guess a bit over 4#.  Pretty soon a pod of whitefish came by and I quickly added a couple of fish dinners to the stringer.  We topped the day off a short while later when my buddy caught his first steelhead ever. It taped 16" and put on quite an aerial show for a winter run fish.  The fishing was so good, you would have thought it was yesterday.

Then to top it all off another pair of anglers showed up --  The Boomers!  We even had witnesses! After a brief chat we willed them our secret spot at the bend of the pier and followed bearing 180 south for Indy.  The highlight of the return trip happened as we drove by JP just in time to see the cranes returning to the roost.

That's my story and I'ma stickin' to it
Fish on,

rivereddy

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: fish caught, Boomer sighted
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Nice trip, great work!
Wicked Wec

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:38 AM »
What's a boomer?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

tater140

« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:47 AM »
A Boomer is kinda like a Tater, only different.

nice report on the fish.  That is cool you guys got into them and had the pier to yourself.  I've only been on the pier once.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:25 PM »
What heck is a Tater?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Kind of like a Taxid only different

from Kind of like a rivereddy only same.

fish on

rivereddy

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:17 PM »
Well why didn't you say so?  ;D

gilldan

« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Sounds like a good trip.   Glad your buddy got a few.  Now he is hooked.

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2018, 09:40 PM »
Rivereddy: Sorry it has taken some time to get on here. Been busy.  Yes, everyone, rivereddy and team did catch the fish he claims  he did. Size and all. I don't see how telling the truth will make him a good politician or a better fisherman!

Nice to see you out there. Thanks for the leftover spawn. It was plenty to pick up a very nice 22" whitefish for my wife. Her first and also the first fish she has caught with her new pole. Rivereddy, you could not have been to your car yet when she caught the fish. Toss in the line. Not very far but let it sit. Wait about two minutes and there it was. I had just cast a spoon when she informed me to drop it and net her fish.

Only good fish we caught all night. (I had a goby and another fisherperson had a sucker.)  Enough to clean and fry up the next night. GREAT eating for sure.

Anyone interested in fishing MC pier? I would say to give it a try. Lots of nice people up there. Biggest advice I can give is: NEVER set your pole down by itself. Put it in a rod holder or hold on to it. Trust me.

Boomer

rivereddy

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Well Sirs, the pier giveth, and the pier taketh away...We pushed our luck again on Saturday and the wind bit us pretty good.  The forecast said west winds at 5-10.  The forecast was half right.  The winds were out of the west, but closer to 20 than 10 and the waves inches away from finding the lower deck of the pier.  The parasailers were having a ball. A couple of guys were fishing to the left of the steps, well back of the main structure.  Rather than a cheap 42 deg shower we opted for the DNR site.  A couple of hours without a hit and we retreated and declared victory.  No runs, no hits, no errors.

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.