FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stripers  (Read 2264 times)

Stickbait

Stripers
« on: Aug 11, 2023, 05:38 AM »
Hit my spot again last night and it paid off!! Slow going for first hour and a half with only two strikes, and landing a 20”er. Then things got interesting. Had a half hour stretch where I couldn’t get the plug in the water fast enough!! Landed 4 between 33”-38” and lost 4 that felt about the same. Also managed one slot fish at 29” that I decided to harvest.
The 6-1/2” black/blue mag darter was the ticket.

gotagetm

Re: Stripers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2023, 06:01 AM »
Very cool!! Good job!

MarkNFish

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2023, 08:02 AM »
Nice!  Fish that you have to hug to hold!

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2023, 08:24 AM »
Very nice! 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

fish wayniac

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2023, 04:55 PM »
Stick, That was a solid outing and you kept one in the slot . Good for you !

The Striper bite is off this season in the spots that use to produce fish. All the rain has pushed the bait and Stripers that follow out in deeper water.
I heard by some fisherman that bait is dying in their live wells because not enough salt on the surface.
Maybe September and October things will heat up.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2023, 02:14 PM »

The Striper bite is off this season in the spots that use to produce fish. All the rain has pushed the bait and Stripers that follow out in deeper water.
I heard by some fisherman that bait is dying in their live wells because not enough salt on the surface.
Been a very slow year for me as well.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2023, 04:21 PM »
Nice bass stickbait!

The stock continues to collapse.  Rec anglers pay with a tighter slot while commercial harvest continues.  There was a moritorium on stripers in the 70's and it looks like we are headed for a repeat.

Outside of that more and more bass are being caught out at the canyons.  Not the best news for shore based surfcasting.

JWHORF

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2023, 04:52 PM »
Took a charter out of Maine, and the captain was extremely happy we are able land 1 bass year.
 He explained that it has been an odd year for the striped bass.  I normally fish for stripers near Troy, NY in the spring.  Does anyone have any insights or thoughts on whether?
the slot limits north of G. Washington Bridge are likely to change as well.  Its already difficult to catch a striper in the 18-28" slot and changing it to 28-31" will be even more difficult.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2023, 09:12 PM »
Would be interesting to take a look back at the yoy index and see if there's a correlation between this years fishing and a weak yoy index from 6ish years back.

As for the slots I was almost certain its a federal mandate from ASMFC.  Shame is they'll do that and not reduce the commercial harvest.  I use to go to meetings, I tapped out after realizing commercial interests and effective lobbying has the ASMFC aligned with commercial fishermen. 

Stickbait

« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2023, 03:56 PM »

It’s been mixed here. I’ve been out 4 times. Skunked once, a single on another, and then two blitzes of all mid to upper 30” fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.