FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Backwoods thread  (Read 41556 times)

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
NY Backwoods thread
« on: Apr 11, 2014, 07:09 AM »
A backwoods pond and primitive camping trip is a very close 2nd to ice fishing for me.
Let's share some tips, tricks, pics and adventures here.

I'll start with a couple lessons I learned on an adventure with my kids last summer.
If you're going relieve yourself in the woods... BURY it!!!  :P
If you're going to let kids roam the woods on their own... Don't let them wear flip flops.
I have a 9 year old that will forever remember the time his older brother had a piece of dad stuck to the bottom of his foot.   :-X

Sorry to share such a gross story, but I literally collapsed on the shore of that pond in a fit of tears and laughter.
On that note. Who's ready to get out chasing brookies in the back woods?!

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

edbone

Re: NY Backwoods thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2014, 11:05 AM »
A backwoods pond and primitive camping trip is a very close 2nd to ice fishing for me.

I'll start with a couple lessons I learned on an adventure with my kids last summer.
If you're going to let kids roam the woods on their own... Don't let them wear flip flops.
I have a 9 year old that will forever remember the time his older brother had a piece of dad stuck to the bottom of his foot.   :-X

Sorry to share such a gross story, but I literally collapsed on the shore of that pond in a fit of tears and laughter.
make sure you bring some dollar bills....3 quarters two dimes and a nickel is ruff

Wake up and take this crappie off Paisley

Hood

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2014, 07:09 PM »

Bring a few slip bobbers for shore fishing, suspend baits at different depths to find where the trout are hanging :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2014, 08:40 PM »

Bring a few slip bobbers for shore fishing, suspend baits at different depths to find where the trout are hanging :)
X2! A lot of buddies give me grief for fishing pond brookies like that. It works pretty dang well. Especially when I know they're going over the fire as soon as I get back to camp.  ;D

An FYI. I picked 6 ticks off me today after walking up and down a stream in Southern Warren county for 2 hours. I certainly was not in the backwoods, but the ticks are in full force down there. 

tonebea

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I picked 6 ticks off me today after walking up and down a stream in Southern Warren county for 2 hours. I certainly was not in the backwoods, but the ticks are in full force down there. 

Yup. I live in Moreau and had one buried in my back this weekend and I was only in the woods behind the house.

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2014, 06:21 PM »
My hunt for open trout ponds begins next week.  ;D
I'm sure I will find the ponds I hike to frozen, but I can't take it anymore. I gotta get out for a hike.
If I find anything open and fishable. I'll be sure to share the county I'm in. Feel free to do the same guys.

smokey

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2014, 07:39 PM »
I think some of the ponds have a chance of being open by next weekend.

But according to the dec website, the mudlocks were put on most of the access roads in the SE Adirondacks in the last week. Probably gonna have to do some hiking to catch much.

KingPerch

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2014, 07:43 PM »

:rotflol: I was certain you weren't going to tell that story on an open forum!! You got me rolling again!! Too funny! Great thread Jamey!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2014, 07:58 PM »
We still have lots of snow in woods and lots of ice on the back woods ponds and streams.  :-\

Berkley4life

« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2014, 05:57 AM »
I found one pond with a decent inlet that had opened up about 10 feet of shoreline.   Didn't leave disappointed

Norsk

« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I like this thread.  What you are describing is something I want to do alot of this summer.  I live in Queensbury so I have some great options within an hour drive.  See you guys out there

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Apr 17, 2014, 05:22 PM »
I like this thread.  What you are describing is something I want to do alot of this summer.  I live in Queensbury so I have some great options within an hour drive.  See you guys out there
Good chance my 1st hike of the year is down your way.
It's going to be a while before anything north of Burg thaws out.

Hood

« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2014, 07:04 PM »
X2! A lot of buddies give me grief for fishing pond brookies like that. It works pretty dang well. Especially when I know they're going over the fire as soon as I get back to camp.  ;D

I wont go without them...if you know the fish are up high, target them like panfish with little bobbers...bounce heavy flies and little jigs under the float.

I change things up a lot if I have a boat, this is primarily with shore access only, as casting can be tricky. It really opens up the possibilities.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

3 DOT

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I wont go without them...if you know the fish are up high, target them like panfish with little bobbers...bounce heavy flies and little jigs under the float.

I change things up a lot if I have a boat, this is primarily with shore access only, as casting can be tricky. It really opens up the possibilities.
Not if you have set ups like mine  :whistling: :whistling: ;)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I'm right there with you, except I feel it's 2nd to none!  There's little I enjoy more than spending the night beside a remote pond, stream, or river after chasing brookies all day.  The pack is always ready to go at a moments notice.  I can't wait..... soon.  I look forward to following this thread. ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.